Re: Fwd: Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: "*we* who must hold the beam in equipoise"

  • Griselda Andersen
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2005
      --- > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
      > "Frank Thomas Smith"
      > >
      > You can start a list down there, Taz. Suggested
      > name:
      > "anthroposophy_elsewhere". Don't sign me up yet,
      > though. I want to
      > see the
      > membership list first. If Grisleda ain't on it
      > (where is she,
      > anyway?), .

      Gee, Frank, I thought you was never going to ask,
      eh!!How long do I have to stay quiet for you to
      notice???
      Anyway. I haven't gone anywhere nor "elsewhere". Just
      been a bit bored with the Waldorf blab, you know. It's
      not interesting to me cause I already have my opinion
      on that issue and it's not going to change. For two
      reasons:
      First, I'm hard headed as hell.
      Second, I'm not a democracy but a total dictatorship.
      My laws/views are set in stones by "moi" and no one
      is moving them while I'm in charge. Which I intend to
      be until I check out.
      Know what, maybe items first and second mean exactly
      the same thing? Well who cares.
      Oh I read what Jennifer and Simone wrote on the
      Akashicstuff, I saw my name was in there (thanks,
      gals.:)). If my name is in something I read it,
      because besides being hard headed I am totally
      self-centered.
      And of course I always read your messages, Frank
      dahling. I'm kahmically bound to do so, as we both
      know.
      Now if you say something I may say something.
      Otherwise I'll stick to "real life", even though real
      life lately has been like going up shit creek without
      a paddle.
      Love,
      Griselda

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Deborah
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2005
        > Now if you say something I may say something.
        > Otherwise I'll stick to "real life", even though real
        > life lately has been like going up shit creek without
        > a paddle.
        > Love,
        > Griselda

        ****ADVERTISEMENT****

        DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET PADDLES ON E-BAY??????

        ****END ADVERTISEMENT****

        Sorry, Griselda, I couldn't resist. After all, it is what the web is
        all about these days.
        Nana
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30, 2005

          > Gee, Frank, I thought you was never going to ask,
          > eh!!How long do I have to stay quiet for you to
          > notice???
          > Anyway. I haven't gone anywhere nor "elsewhere". Just
          > been a bit bored with the Waldorf blab, you know.

          You're right as rain, as usual, Grisy luv. It's been raining blab around
          here recently, and I regret to say that I have participated.

          It's
          > not interesting to me cause I already have my opinion
          > on that issue and it's not going to change. For two
          > reasons:
          > First, I'm hard headed as hell.
          > Second, I'm not a democracy but a total dictatorship.
          > My laws/views are set in stones by "moi" and no one
          > is moving them while I'm in charge. Which I intend to
          > be until I check out.
          > Know what, maybe items first and second mean exactly
          > the same thing? Well who cares.
          > Oh I read what Jennifer and Simone wrote on the
          > Akashicstuff, I saw my name was in there (thanks,
          > gals.:)). If my name is in something I read it,
          > because besides being hard headed I am totally
          > self-centered.
          > And of course I always read your messages, Frank
          > dahling. I'm kahmically bound to do so, as we both
          > know.
          > Now if you say something I may say something.
          > Otherwise I'll stick to "real life", even though real
          > life lately has been like going up shit creek without
          > a paddle.
          > Love,
          > Griselda

          Well, what can I say? I will gladly expound on any subject you like, whether
          I know anything about it or not - except Waldorf, which is, as Your Guruness
          has pointed out, boring as hell.
          Besos,
          Frank
        • Griselda Andersen
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2005
            --- > --- In ,
            > "Frank Thomas Smith"
            > wrote:
            >

            >On the other hand, dictatorial though it may be, you
            >opinion about Waldorf
            >education might be interesting to some around here.

            It's too elaborate and complex and I have no time to
            write about it, the 350th Simpson's episode is just
            starting. I have a short opinion on Atlanta, though:
            can a place be cooler? Now there's even a kidnapping
            turned into runaway bride soap opera going on. I love
            it, Hotlanta.

            > > > Well, what can I say? I will gladly expound on
            any
            > subject you like,
            > whether
            > I know anything about it or not -

            Frankie dear, you may not realize it, but Herr
            Holderlin has been dying to hear these same words from
            you for ages, you know. And now you say them to me.
            He'll be so upset. I even feel like asking you to talk
            about something he would like to hear you talking
            about. Just so that he won't hate me. Problem is, I
            can't think of anything. Let's see. Think think
            think...ok, how about sentient souls? Can you talk
            about them? I was told several times in this list I am
            one, so what the heck. You can start by letting me
            know if I am really one or not. Then, tell me if
            there's any prize involved if I am. Then go from there
            in more general, abstract terms. Something like that.

            Love,
            Griselda

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jennifer
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2005
              A tyranny of one, you say?

              Nice to "see" you again, Gris!
              I'm here, too, reading quietly.

              ;)

              Cheers,
              Jennifer

              P.S. Hey, you can write me offlist anytime, yaknow?
              Sorry to hear "real life" is troublesome these days.

              Griselda Andersen wrote:

              > I'm not a democracy but a total dictatorship.
            • hatscaps66
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                Thanks, Jennifer! :)
                Yeah I'm mostly quiet too. This WC X WE thing is truly boring to me.
                But here is a quote just because:
                "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
                mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
                You know what I mean. :)
                Cheers,
                Griselda

                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2005
                  Griselda, I'm speechless so will just let
                  Bob do the talking for me. (Your reference
                  to Einstein reminded me of this song.)

                  See ya,
                  Jennifer

                  Desolation Row

                  They're selling postcards of the hanging
                  They're painting the passports brown
                  The beauty parlor is filled with sailors
                  The circus is in town
                  Here comes the blind commissioner
                  They've got him in a trance
                  One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker
                  The other is in his pants
                  And the riot squad they're restless
                  They need somewhere to go
                  As Lady and I look out tonight
                  From Desolation Row

                  Cinderella, she seems so easy
                  "It takes one to know one," she smiles
                  And puts her hands in her back pockets
                  Bette Davis style
                  And in comes Romeo, he's moaning
                  "You Belong to Me I Believe"
                  And someone says," You're in the wrong place, my friend
                  You better leave"
                  And the only sound that's left
                  After the ambulances go
                  Is Cinderella sweeping up
                  On Desolation Row

                  Now the moon is almost hidden
                  The stars are beginning to hide
                  The fortunetelling lady
                  Has even taken all her things inside
                  All except for Cain and Abel
                  And the hunchback of Notre Dame
                  Everybody is making love
                  Or else expecting rain
                  And the Good Samaritan, he's dressing
                  He's getting ready for the show
                  He's going to the carnival tonight
                  On Desolation Row

                  Now Ophelia, she's 'neath the window
                  For her I feel so afraid
                  On her twenty-second birthday
                  She already is an old maid

                  To her, death is quite romantic
                  She wears an iron vest
                  Her profession's her religion
                  Her sin is her lifelessness
                  And though her eyes are fixed upon
                  Noah's great rainbow
                  She spends her time peeking
                  Into Desolation Row

                  Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood
                  With his memories in a trunk
                  Passed this way an hour ago
                  With his friend, a jealous monk
                  He looked so immaculately frightful
                  As he bummed a cigarette
                  Then he went off sniffing drainpipes
                  And reciting the alphabet
                  Now you would not think to look at him
                  But he was famous long ago
                  For playing the electric violin
                  On Desolation Row

                  Dr. Filth, he keeps his world
                  Inside of a leather cup
                  But all his sexless patients
                  They're trying to blow it up
                  Now his nurse, some local loser
                  She's in charge of the cyanide hole
                  And she also keeps the cards that read
                  "Have Mercy on His Soul"
                  They all play on penny whistles
                  You can hear them blow
                  If you lean your head out far enough
                  From Desolation Row

                  Across the street they've nailed the curtains
                  They're getting ready for the feast
                  The Phantom of the Opera
                  A perfect image of a priest
                  They're spoonfeeding Casanova
                  To get him to feel more assured
                  Then they'll kill him with self-confidence
                  After poisoning him with words

                  And the Phantom's shouting to skinny girls
                  "Get Outa Here If You Don't Know
                  Casanova is just being punished for going
                  To Desolation Row"

                  Now at midnight all the agents
                  And the superhuman crew
                  Come out and round up everyone
                  That knows more than they do
                  Then they bring them to the factory
                  Where the heart-attack machine
                  Is strapped across their shoulders
                  And then the kerosene
                  Is brought down from the castles
                  By insurance men who go
                  Check to see that nobody is escaping
                  To Desolation Row

                  Praise be to Nero's Neptune
                  The Titanic sails at dawn
                  And everybody's shouting
                  "Which Side Are You On?"
                  And Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot
                  Fighting in the captain's tower
                  While calypso singers laugh at them
                  And fishermen hold flowers
                  Between the windows of the sea
                  Where lovely mermaids flow
                  And nobody has to think too much
                  About Desolation Row

                  Yes, I received your letter yesterday
                  (About the time the door knob broke)
                  When you asked how I was doing
                  Was that some kind of joke?
                  All these people that you mention
                  Yes, I know them, they're quite lame
                  I had to rearrange their faces
                  And give them all another name
                  Right now I can't read too good
                  Don't send me no more letters no
                  Not unless you mail them
                  From Desolation Row

                  Copyright © 1965; renewed 1993 Special Rider Music

                  hatscaps66 wrote:

                  > Thanks, Jennifer! :)
                  > Yeah I'm mostly quiet too. This WC X WE thing is truly boring to
                  me.
                  > But here is a quote just because:
                  > "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
                  > mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
                  > You know what I mean. :)
                  > Cheers,
                  > Griselda
                • Tarjei Straume
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2005
                    Jennifer, you're awesome! You're posting my absolute favorite of all Bob
                    Dylan songs! No snipping this time!

                    Cheers,

                    Tarjei

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 6, 2005
                      I only just recently bought his album, Highway 61 Revisited.
                      Bob SEES things, and his humor keeps me sane. ;) I love this,
                      from the notes he wrote for this album: "we are singing today
                      of the WIPE-OUT GANG - the WIPE-OUT GANG buys, owns & operates
                      the Insanity Factory - if you do not know where the Insanity
                      Factory is located, you should hereby take two steps to the
                      right, paint your teeth & go to sleep...." I LOVE BOB!!!

                      Cheers,
                      Jennifer

                      cyberuncle wrote:

                      > Jennifer, you're awesome! You're posting my absolute
                      > favorite of all Bob Dylan songs! No snipping this time!
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Tarjei
                    • Tarjei Straume
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 6, 2005
                        At 18:08 06.05.2005, Jennifer wrote:

                        >I only just recently bought his album, Highway 61 Revisited.
                        >Bob SEES things, and his humor keeps me sane. ;) I love this,
                        >from the notes he wrote for this album: "we are singing today
                        >of the WIPE-OUT GANG - the WIPE-OUT GANG buys, owns & operates
                        >the Insanity Factory - if you do not know where the Insanity
                        >Factory is located, you should hereby take two steps to the
                        >right, paint your teeth & go to sleep...." I LOVE BOB!!!

                        Yep, that album is packed with dynamite. It took me a long time to realize
                        that "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" was based upon William Burrough's "Naked
                        Lunch," which was floating around at that time before it was finally
                        published. My guess is that Bob got a copy from Allan Ginsburg, Burrough's
                        former lover in New York City. When Ginsburgh broke up with Burroughs, the
                        latter hit the skids in Paris and somewhere in Africa, shooting up and
                        writing, but always standing up in spite of it all and strangely reaching a
                        very ripe old age. The last verse says it all:

                        I started out on burgundy
                        But soon hit the harder stuff
                        Everybody said they'd stand behind me
                        When the game got rough
                        But the joke was on me
                        There was nobody even there to call my bluff
                        I'm going back to New York City
                        I do believe I've had enough

                        Tarjei
                      • Jennifer
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 7, 2005
                          Hi, Tarjei!

                          I didn't know that, about "Naked Lunch." Cool.
                          Well, I just happened to stumble across this:
                          http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/interw/play78.htm
                          Don't know whether you've seen it before.

                          Cheers,
                          Jennifer

                          You wrote:

                          > Yep, that album is packed with dynamite. It took me a long time to
                          realize
                          > that "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" was based upon William
                          Burrough's "Naked
                          > Lunch," which was floating around at that time before it was
                          finally
                          > published. My guess is that Bob got a copy from Allan Ginsburg,
                          Burrough's
                          > former lover in New York City. When Ginsburgh broke up with
                          Burroughs, the
                          > latter hit the skids in Paris and somewhere in Africa, shooting up
                          and
                          > writing, but always standing up in spite of it all and strangely
                          reaching a
                          > very ripe old age. The last verse says it all:
                          >
                          > I started out on burgundy
                          > But soon hit the harder stuff
                          > Everybody said they'd stand behind me
                          > When the game got rough
                          > But the joke was on me
                          > There was nobody even there to call my bluff
                          > I'm going back to New York City
                          > I do believe I've had enough
                          >
                          > Tarjei
                        • Tarjei Straume
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 8, 2005
                            At 05:12 08.05.2005, Jennifer wrote:

                            >Hi, Tarjei!
                            >
                            >I didn't know that, about "Naked Lunch." Cool.
                            >Well, I just happened to stumble across this:
                            >http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/interw/play78.htm
                            >Don't know whether you've seen it before.

                            No I havent, although I was reading Playboy occasionally back then, in the
                            seventies. No wait, this interview is from 1978, and I didn't read much
                            Playboy between 1976 and December 1980, with the John and Yoko interview
                            came out, when the news of John's violent death flashed on the screen while
                            I was in the middle of reading it. I remember 1976 because of the Jimmy
                            Carter interview. I feel nostalgic about those PIayboy Interviews, the
                            best! - the "candid conversations" with three photos on the first page and
                            an intro running a page and a half. Never forget the interview with Abbie
                            Hoffman on the run from the FBI and underground - I think that was in 1976
                            too - and he'd had plastic surgery and wore a bandit scarf across his face
                            on those three photos. And John Lennon was so funny - every time he said
                            something wise, he added, "Print that between tits and asses on page 138."

                            I began reading Playboy in the early seventies in London, wow about Phillip
                            Agee, the ex-CIA agent who created a world-wide scandal by blowing the
                            whistle on the agency and its ugly dark secrets, and he had those deadly
                            feds stalking him and breathing down his neck while being interviewed for
                            Playboy in Spain I think it was. Say what you like about Hugh Hefner, but
                            he sure knew how to pick interesting people to be interviewed in the good
                            old days!! Well, a moratorium on my Playboy reading was brought on by my
                            girlfriend from Miami who said, "I don't want you looking at those naked
                            girls!" Oh my, she was the one who introduced me to the magazine and had
                            been reading it for years, and now she didn't want me to look at it! Henry
                            Higgins: "Women are irrational, that's all there is to that...."

                            Anyway, I read through the 1978 Playboy Interview with Bob Dylan, and I
                            thank you for posting the link to it. I can tell it's been scanned
                            privately, because there are a lot of periods missing. You have to put most
                            of them back in when you edit.

                            I didn't know BD was involved in so many movie projects in the early days,
                            and I had forgotten that he painted. The only movie I've seen with him was
                            one that took me by surprise a year or two ago, on the TCM channel. All of
                            a sudden, there was Billy the Kid from 1970, with Kris Kristoffersen as
                            Billy, James Coburn as the sheriff chasing him (another favorite movie star
                            of mine who also passed away not too long ago), and Bob Dylan as Billy's
                            nameless sidekick. I really chuckled when they were in this saloon and
                            coburn looks at Dylan's character and asks, "Who are you?" and Dylan
                            replies with a mysterious smile, "Well, that's a good question!"

                            Here are some interesting tidbits:

                            About belief and knowledge (quoted and discussed in a previous post):

                            "I'd say people will always believe in something if they feel it to be
                            true. Just knowing it's true is not enough. If you feel in your gut that
                            it's true, well, then, you can be pretty much assured that it's true."

                            Here is something that kind of stunned me because there was a piece in it
                            that hit right home on a personal level:

                            DYLAN: Well, certain truths I know. Not necessarily myself but a certain
                            accumulation of experience that has become real to me and a knowledge that
                            I acquired on the road.

                            PLAYBOY: And what are those truths?

                            DYLAN: One is that if you try to be anyone but yourself, you will fail; if
                            you are not true to your own heart, you will fail. Then again, there's no
                            success like failure

                            PLAYBOY: And failure's no success at all.

                            DYLAN: Oh, well, we're not looking to succeed. Just by our being and acting
                            alive, we succeed. You fail only when you let death creep in and take over
                            a part of your life that should be alive.

                            PLAYBOY: How does death creep in?

                            DYLAN: Death don't come knocking at the door. It's there in the morning
                            when you wake up.

                            PLAYBOY: How is it there?

                            DYLAN: Did you ever clip your fingernails, cut your hair? Then you
                            experience death.

                            About keys:

                            PLAYBOY: What does a major key generally conjure up for you?

                            DYLAN: I think any major key deals with romance.

                            PLAYBOY: And the minor keys?

                            DYLAN: The supernatural.

                            PLAYBOY: What about other specific keys?

                            DYLAN: I find C major to be the key of strength, but also the key of
                            regret. E major is the key of confidence. A-flat major is the key of
                            renunciation.

                            About Death and the Devil:

                            PLAYBOY: When you're onstage, do you feel the illusion that death can't get
                            you?

                            DYLAN: Death can't get you at all. Death's not here to get anybody. It's
                            the appearance of the Devil, and the Devil is a coward, so knowledge will
                            overcome that.

                            PLAYBOY: What do you mean?

                            DYLAN: The Devil is everything false, the Devil will go as deep as you let
                            the Devil go. You can leave yourself open to that. If you understand what
                            that whole scene is about, you can easily step aside. But if you want the
                            confrontation to begin with, well, there's plenty of it. But then again, if
                            you believe you have a purpose and a mission, and not much time to carry it
                            out, you don't bother about those things.

                            PLAYBOY: Do you think you have a purpose and a mission?

                            DYLAN: Obviously.

                            PLAYBOY: What is it?

                            DYLAN: Henry Miller said it: The role of an artist is to inoculate the
                            world with disillusionment.
                            About belief:

                            "But, getting back to that again, you have to have belief. You must have a
                            purpose. You must believe that you-can disappear through walls. Without
                            that belief, you're not going to become a very good rock singer, or pop
                            singer, or folk-rock singer, or you're not going to become a very good
                            lawyer. Or a doctor. You must know why you're doing what you're doing."

                            (Tarjei:)
                            There you go. Even a scientist needs to have belief.

                            About Jimmy Carter (who was president at the time of the interview):

                            PLAYBOY: Jimmy Carter has said that listening to your songs, he learned to
                            see in a new way the relationship between landlord and tenant, farmer and
                            sharecropper and things like that. He also said that you were his friend.
                            What do you think of all that?

                            DYLAN: I am his friend.

                            PLAYBOY: A personal friend?

                            DYLAN: I know him personally.

                            PLAYBOY: Do you like him?

                            DYLAN: Yeah, I think his heart's in the right place.

                            PLAYBOY: How would you describe that place?

                            DYLAN: The place of destiny. You know, I hope the magazine won't take all
                            this stuff and edit-like, Carter's heart's in the right place of destiny,
                            because it's going to really sound

                            PLAYBOY: No, it would lose the sense of conversation. The magazine's pretty
                            good about that.

                            DYLAN: Carter has his heart in the right place. He has a sense of who he
                            is. That's what I felt, anyway, when I met him.

                            PLAYBOY: Have you met him many times?

                            DYLAN: Only once.

                            PLAYBOY: Stayed at his house?

                            DYLAN: No. But anybody who's a governor or a Senate leader or in a position
                            of authority who finds time to invite a folkrock singer and his band out to
                            his place has got to have . . . a sense of humor . . . and a feeling of the
                            pulse of the people. Why does he have to do it? Most people in those kinds
                            of positions can't relate at all to people in the music field unless it's
                            for some selfish purpose.

                            PLAYBOY: Did you talk about music or politics?

                            DYLAN: Music. Very little politics. The conversation was kept in pretty
                            general areas.

                            PLAYBOY: Does he have any favorite Dylan songs?

                            DYLAN: I didn't ask him if he had any favorite Dylan songs. He didn't say
                            that he did. I think he liked Ballad of a Thin Man, really.

                            PLAYBOY: Did you think that Carter might have been using you by inviting
                            you there?

                            DYLAN: No, I believe that he was a decent, untainted man and he just wanted
                            to check me out.

                            Cheers,

                            Tarjei
                            under the auspices of
                            His Holiness Uncle Taz
                            http://uncletaz.com/

                            "At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human
                            malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity,
                            idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or
                            political idols."
                            - Aldous Huxley