allergies and fevers

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2005
      I was doing research on something else and hit on this article:

      http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/feb2004/niaid-09.htm

      Quote:

      Researchers found that, of the children who did not experience a
      fever during their first year, 50.0 percent showed allergic
      sensitivity. Of those who had one fever, 46.7 percent became allergy-
      prone. The children who suffered two or more fevers in their infancy
      had greater protection, with only 31.3 percent showing allergic
      sensitivity by ages 6 to 7.

      In particular, fever-inducing infections involving the eyes, ears,
      nose or throat appeared to be associated with a lower risk of
      developing allergies, compared with similar infections that did not
      result in fevers. End quote

      I suspect that more children today are suffering from a deficiency
      of fevers than an oversupply - at least in the U.S.

      Nana