poll on cocooning

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      Sixteen responses so far. No one who admits being shut off from the
      rest of life by anthroposophy or waldorf education.

      I have been involved, twice, with groups who did try to cocoon me.

      The first was Scientology. They weren't so strongly into the "don't
      association with anyone else." stuff, but they definitely didn't want
      people reading anything else than L. Ron Hubbard. Since I am a
      compulsive reader and have been since I first learned at age 6, this
      particular restriction popped me right back out of the group, although
      it took a few months. Looking back, Scientology definitely encourages
      delusional behavior.

      The second was a circle of born again Christians. They not only wanted
      to restrict my reading they wanted to restrict my associations. Yechhh!

      I've been involved with Anthroposophy for roughly 30 years. In that
      time, no one has ever tried to suggest who I should associate with or
      what I should read, or how I should dress, or how I should spend my
      time. I have been left totally free to pull myself together and
      develop or to completely veg out, or to take drugs, or to do whatever
      I like.

      Well, there was one comment on clothing. Many years ago, when I was
      working at the Anthroposophical Society (as bookkeeper and database
      manager) my boss, in response to my inquiry about the standard of
      dress expected, said, doubtfully "Well, it would probably be better if
      you don't wear torn blue jeans." I managed to live up to this
      standard, mostly because I didn't own any blue jeans. I've never found
      them comfortable.

      Although I'm not particularly an anarchist, being basically a law-
      abiding, well-behaved sort, I wouldn't have continued with
      anthroposophy if anyone was telling me what I could and couldn't do.

      Cheers,
      Nana