Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Pope

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      As a feminist of sorts, Dottie, I really can't understand why you venerate
      the Pope to the extent you do. After all, refusing to recognize the needs of
      the times, he has refused to consider undoing the celibacy rule for priests,
      i.e., allowing them to marry, thereby continuing the Church's role as a
      refuge for pedophiles; refusing to consider women priests; enforcing absurd
      birth control dogma in favor of AIDS; being fanatical on the issue of legal
      abortion. [Aside: A couple of weeks ago, a Catholic bishop in Argentina,
      head of the armed forces chaplains, furious at the Health Minister's plan to
      legalize abortion (it's a crime here, resulting in thousands of illegal
      abortions per year and the inevitable botched ones) and to distribute free
      condoms, publicly said that the minister should have a millstone tied around
      his neck and be thrown into the sea. This reminded everyone of the "dirty
      war", when hundreds of people were thrown by the military from airplanes
      into the sea tied to stones. The government declared him person-non-grata
      and asked the Vatican to replace him. The Vatican defended him (still does)
      and refuses to replace him. All the govt can do is stop paying his salary.]
      John Paul was certainly instrumental in the fall of the Soviet Union, but
      since then, despite being muy simpatico, he has been a dinosaur.
      Frank