All that we let in

  • Mike Helsher
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      The title of this song depicts a difficult concept for
      the fundie mindset. Therefore I think and feel that it
      has some anthro potential. Of course the music is
      missing here, but I think you can catch the drift. The
      combination of Amy Ray and Emily Sailers never ceases
      to amaze me. As individuals they are like "rice and
      beans" and "strawberries," but singing together their
      like thunder and lightening sometimes. Not because
      they play loud flashy music, but because they instill
      similar kind of spiritual awe, for me anyway.

      All that we let in:

      Dust in our eyes our own boots kicked up
      Heartsick we nursed along the way we picked up
      You may not see it when it's sticking to your skin
      But we're better off for all that we let in

      Lost friends and loved ones much too young
      So much promises and work left undone
      When all that guards us is a single centerline
      And the brutal crossing over when it's time

      I don't know where it all begins
      And I don't know where it all will end
      We're better off for all that we let in

      One day those toughies will be withered up and bent
      The father son the holy warriors and the president
      With glory days of put up dukes for all the world to
      see
      Beaten into submission in the name of the free

      We're in an evolution I have heard it said
      Everyone's so busy now but do we move ahead
      The planets hurting and atoms splitting
      And a sweater for your love you sit there knitting

      I don't know where it all begins
      And I don't know where it all will end
      We're better off for all that we let in

      See those crosses on the side of the road
      Tied with ribbons in the medium
      They make me grateful I can go this far
      Lay me down and never wake me up again

      Kat writes a poem and she sticks it on my truck
      We don't believe in war and we don't believe in luck
      The birds were calling to her what were they saying
      As the gate blew open the tops of the trees were
      swaying

      I've passed the cemetery walk my dog down there
      I read the names in stone and say a silent prayer
      When I get home you're cooking supper on the stove
      And the greatest gift of life is to know love

      I don't know where it all begins
      And I don't know where it all will end
      We're better off for all that we let in

      lyrics and music by Emily Sailers

      Posted by Mike

      PS. if you would like to listen to this song, e-mail
      me off list.

      http://personals.yahoo.com