John

    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 16, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      I am still wondering how this messy thread of John the Baptist, John
      the Disciple and Lazarus can really be straightened out.

      In continuing my little search it occurs to me that we have never
      seen a 'painting' of the Beloved as it is supposed to be from Steiner
      students understanding. Why no painting of the Beloved at the Cross?

      Without all the esoteric streams coming in how do we find this
      Lazarus/John at the foot of the cross? He can't be John the Disciple
      because then Lazarus is not a real person. You can not have two
      physical people become one person at the cross. It can be Lazarus but
      where is he then according to Steiners supposed death bed statement?
      ("Lazarus holds John the Baptists spirit.") Why would the painters
      have missed this important person throughout all of the paintings
      that show Christianitys' begining?

      If we hold that indeed it was John the Disciple where is a physical
      Lazarus? Where where oh where can that Lazarus be?

      My thoughts,

      Dottie
    • Mike Helsher
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 23, 2004
        This is a synopsis of a course I'm thinking about signing up for.

        Does anyone know anything about Edward R. Smith?

        THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED

        These lecture/guides by Edward R. Smith focus on the identity of the
        "beloved disciple": the one "learning on Jesus' bosom, whom Jesus loved" -
        the one to whom Jesus "gave" His mother - not to mention the one who wrote
        the fourth Gospel, the Apocalypse, and certain letters that expound the
        Christian teaching of love more perfectly than any other human text.
        Ordinary Christians have always called this author "John," which tradition
        has sometimes interpreted to mean "to whom is given" and which Smith tells
        us comes from a conflation of two Hebrew words "Yah" (or Yahweh) and with
        "Anna," meaning "grace." In other words, John manifests and bears witness to
        God's grace. Certainly no Christian texts have exerted a comparable
        initiatory influence. Indeed, whether or not it is justifiable to speak of a
        "Joannine" spiritual (esoteric) Church, in contrast to the Petrine or
        institutional (exoteric) Church, St. John has always stood for the heights
        of mystical theology: the deepest Christian initiation. His identity,
        therefore, is a matter of more than passing interest.

        For all who are willing to consider the matter openly, these lectures will
        bring amazing insights into such mysteries as to the relationship of Lazarus
        to John and who was the mother of Jesus. These lectures cannot but help to
        gain a greatly increased love and understanding of John's great contribution
        to Christianity.