JB morsels

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      "Nothing is easier for someone with skill and a knowledge of anatomy than
      to kill a man without instruments, with just one chop of the hand,
      painlessly and instantaneously. But that isn't permitted anywhere;
      everything must happen ritually. All executions are ritual executions." ­
      Jens Bjørneboe: Powderhouse (1969)

      "The human mind's road toward freedom has been a road through torture
      chambers, blood and fire. Nothing awakens such hate in secure, saved
      believers as skeptical, critical thought ­ as the desire to see for
      oneself, to test an inherited truth oneself before accepting it. For
      persons with this attitude "nothing is sacred"; no authority exists for
      them but the true authority which derives from greater insight, greater
      experience­from reality itself." ­ Jens Bjørneboe: "Anarchism­today?" (1971)

      "What on earth would our beloved, stinking, beautiful Europe have become
      without our dope fiends, drunkards, homosexuals, consumptives, madmen,
      syphilitics, bed-wetters, criminals, and epileptics? Our whole culture was
      created by invalids, lunatics, and felons." ­ Jens Bjørneboe: Moment of
      Freedom (1966)

      "Take away the "immoral" criminal, and we'd be robbed of one of the lies we
      need in order to live: namely the belief that there is someone who is even
      more immoral than we are. We all need someone to despise and look down on
      as not having full value. This is another of our strong points of likeness
      with that same criminal: in prison there always develops a hierarchical
      type of society, where the safecracker and the gunman rank highest and the
      sexual offender lowest. The prison is a true copy of our own society." ­
      Jens Bjørneboe: "Crime as a Way of Life" (1967)

      Respect for the Law
      Translated by Janet Garton

      Thou shalt not the law defy
      Thou shalt love the law's command
      Know the law comes from on high
      Know the law is in God's hand!

      Show respect for regulations
      All are equal for the law
      If God's given you a prisoner
      He craves silence evermore.

      Policemen go in gangs to bludgeon
      An eye for an eye the law's demanding
      If God's given you a truncheon
      He will give you understanding!

      If God's given you a truncheon
      He will give you understanding.

      Jens Bjørneboe, “Respekt for loven.”

      The Good in Me
      Translated by Solrun Hoaas

      Oh, brother, you may not believe this:
      Once I was quite antisocial
      I raped, assaulted, stole and whored
      On this our lovely earth
      Until prison wakened my faith in good
      I was deviant and almost mad
      Until made normal in solitary confinement
      Oh brother, you may not believe this!

      Oh, brother - you my brother!

      II
      My new being was born through trials
      Morality was taught me in the jailyard
      The good in me born behind bars alone
      In solitary I became sociable
      My new being longed for something higher
      The environment wakened my faith in good
      Oh, brother, you may not believe this!
      But listen to what a matured man will tell you:
      Prison arouses all the best within you!

      Jens Bjørneboe, “Det gode i meg”.

      Brought to you by:

      Tarjei
      under the auspices of
      His Holiness Uncle Taz
      http://uncletaz.com/

      "At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human
      malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity,
      idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or
      political idols."
      - Aldous Huxley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
        I (Tarjei) quoted Janet Garton's translation of Jens Bjørneboe:

        > If God's given you a truncheon
        > He will give you understanding!
        >
        > If God's given you a truncheon
        > He will give you understanding.

        As a matter of fact, this is one of my favorite lines by JB, and a
        literal translation would read:

        Him whom God hath given a stick
        hath He also given reason.

        Him whom God hath given a stick
        hath He also given reason.

        The original reads:

        Den som Gud har gitt en kølle
        har han også gitt forstand.

        Den som Gud har gitt en kølle
        har han også gitt forstand.

        Brought to you by:

        Uncle Taz
        http://uncletaz.com/

        "To force a man to pay for the violation of his own liberty is indeed
        an addition of insult to injury."
        - Benjamin Tucker