Wisdom Blow

  • Steve Haag
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "kmlightseeker"
      <kmlightseeker@y...> wrote:

      > travel the cyber-streets weilding cyber-batons, and bopping
      at random strangers' heads, dispensing advice and wisdom, but mostly a
      curt "Learn" to recipients of the "Wisdom Blow".

      Keith,

      Good luck with your emerging cult. There's a part in Gulliver's
      Travels where he visits a culture of really brainy men who keep a
      little helper at their side who holds a stick they bop their masters
      with when it's time for them to shut up and listen.

      :-)

      SteveD
    • kmlightseeker
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
        Hi Steve,

        Thanks, now I'll just have to start on a recruitment drive. ;)

        (Note: I hasten to add for one and all that my cult idea is only
        tongue-in-idea - I don't really want to create a cult. Nor do I think
        cults in the real world are the least bit amusing or benign with
        consideration to the harm they cause).

        That's a coincidence that the stick bopping thing should be in
        Gulliver's Travels also - I honestly didn't have that in mind when I
        came up with the idea. Jonathan Swift was a creative one, coming up
        with cute ideas like that one.

        Thanks,

        Keith

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Haag" <art@r...>
        wrote:

        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "kmlightseeker"
        > <kmlightseeker@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > travel the cyber-streets weilding cyber-batons, and bopping
        > at random strangers' heads, dispensing advice and wisdom, but mostly a
        > curt "Learn" to recipients of the "Wisdom Blow".
        >
        > Keith,
        >
        > Good luck with your emerging cult. There's a part in Gulliver's
        > Travels where he visits a culture of really brainy men who keep a
        > little helper at their side who holds a stick they bop their masters
        > with when it's time for them to shut up and listen.
        >
        > :-)
        >
        > SteveD
      • Steve Haag
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
          <kmlightseeker@y...> wrote:

          >(Note: ...my cult idea is only
          tongue-in-idea - I don't really want to create a cult. Nor do I think
          cults in the real world are the least bit amusing or benign with
          consideration to the harm they cause).

          Keith,

          Here's an online dictionary definition for cult:

          cult n.

          A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or
          false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner
          under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
          The followers of such a religion or sect.
          A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
          The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious
          ceremony and ritual.
          A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator
          to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular
          disease.

          Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a
          person, principle, or thing.
          The object of such devotion.
          An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic
          or intellectual interest.

          ----------
          [Latin cultus, worship, from past participle of colere, to cultivate.
          See kwel-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

          ===========

          Steve again:

          Curious that the etymology goes back to worship and cultivation. And
          to me it echoes themes of unity - limited ones, yes, but experiments
          in collections of people and ideas. And we're all doing that. So it's
          curious how cult has become this omen of extremism and falseness and
          concern over being led astray. And it's also curious when some groups
          are able to raise themselves above cult status, when they can as
          easily fall prey to leading astray.

          SteveD
        • kmlightseeker
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 6, 2005
            Hi Steve,

            Good points, and makes one wonder about the use of labels to
            categorise groups. I think it's pathological, unthinking processes
            that create the groups that are negative versions of the cult form.
            Perhaps obsessive concerns and thought patterns create the blinkers
            that lead to the control of members of these groups.