Asuras

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      Rudolf Steiner could not speak too much about the Asuras for some reason.
      The Asuras are retarded Beings of the Hierarchy of the Archai (Spirits of
      Personality). They are Beings who instead of furthering man's progress to
      independence, lure him into gross egoism. In the negative sense they now
      bear the name originally pertaining to the entire Hierarchy.

      In a lecture held 1. January 1909 entitled "The Deed of Christ and the
      Opposing Spiritual Powers Lucifer, Ahriman, Mephistopheles, Asuras" (GA
      107) - ain't we in season here, folks? - Steiner speaks a little about the
      Asuras, but thereafter almost nothing. In the lectures about World-Being
      and Egohood ("Weltwesen und Ichheit", 1916, GA 169), Rudolf Steiner speaks
      of how the profound secrets contained in the symbols of Jachim and Boas may
      be misused by secret brotherhoods:

      "There is very, very much contained in the old preserved symbols. Our age
      is called upon to understand these things, to penetrate into them. The
      contrast which will at one point be experienced between all that which is
      truly spiritual and that which will approach us when Keely's motor actually
      becomes reality, from the West, will be a much stronger contrast than
      exists today between Tolstoy's world view and that which now approaches us
      from the East. Oh, these things cannot be further spoken of!"

      In a lecture entitled "The Nature of Sub-Sensible Forces" ("Von Wesen der
      Kernenenergie" published in 1978 and later translated by Anthroposophic
      Press), the prominent mathematician and astro-physicist Georg Unger said
      about the above passage:

      "And that is connected with the mystery of evil and the silence which
      Rudolf Steiner maintained with regard to the Asuras. One senses from this
      utterance that one simply cannot speak further about this matter. If
      someone comes and says, "I would like to study quite quickly all that which
      Rudolf Steiner says about the Asuras," then one must say to him, "You can
      do that quickly, indeed, but you will still have nothing. You will only
      have something when you understand why he was silent about this point."

      With this in mind, I think it's appropriate to quote what Steiner has to
      say about the Asuras in "The Deed of Christ":

      Toward the end of the Atlantean epoch, the etheric body corresponding to
      the head came right into the physical head and gradually brought about
      self-consciousness in the physical body. Fundamentally speaking, man is
      still working at his unconscious transformation of the physical body, at
      the development of the consciousness soul. And in the age now approaching,
      those spiritual Beings known as the Asuras will creep into the
      consciousness soul and therewith into the human "I" or ego - for the "I"
      lights up in the consciousness soul. The Asuras will generate evil with a
      far mightier force than was wielded by the Satanic powers in the Atlantean
      epoch or by the Luciferic Spirits in the Lemurian epoch.

      In the course of the Earth-period man will cast away all the evil brought
      to him by the Luciferic Spirits together with the blessing of freedom. The
      evil brought by the Ahrimanic Spirits can be shed in the course of karma.
      But the evil brought by the Asuric powers cannot be expunged in this
      way. Whereas the good Spirits instituted pain and suffering, illness and
      death in order that despite the possibility of evil, man's evolution may
      still advance, whereas the good Spirits made possible the working of karma
      to the end that the Ahrimanic powers might be resisted and the evil made
      good, it will not be so easy to counter the Asuric powers as
      earth-existence takes its course. For these Asuric Spirits will prompt what
      has been seized hold of by them, namely the very core of man's being, the
      consciousness soul together with the "I", to unite with earthly
      materiality. Fragment after fragment will be torn out of the 'I', and in
      the same measure in which the Asuric Spirits establish themselves in the
      consciousness soul, man must leave parts of his existence behind on the
      earth. What thus becomes the prey of the Asuric powers will be
      irretrievably lost. Not that the whole man need become their victim - but
      parts of his spirit will be torn away by the Asuric powers. These Asuric
      powers are heralded today by the prevailing tendency to live wholly in the
      material world and to be obliviouls of the reality of spiritual beings and
      spiritual worlds. True, the Asuric powers corrupt man today in a way that
      is more theoretical than actual. Today they deceive him by various means
      into thinking that his 'I' is a product of the physical world only; they
      lure him to a kind of theoretic materialism. But as time goes on - and the
      premonitory signs of this are the dissolute, sensuous passions that are
      becoming increasingly prevalent on earth - they will blind man's vision of
      the spiritual Beings and spiritual Powers. Man will know nothing nor desire
      to know anything of a spiritual world. More and more he will not only teach
      that the highest moral ideals of humanity are merely sublimations of animal
      impulses, that human thinking is but a transformation of a faculty also
      possessed by the animal - but he will take this view in all earnestness and
      order his life in accordance with it.

      Man does not as yet entirely base his life on the principle that his true
      being descends from the animal. But this view of existence will inevitably
      arise, with the result that men will also live like animals, will sink into
      animal impulses, animal passions. And in many things that need not be
      further characterized here, many things that in the great cities come to
      expression in orgies of dissolute sensuality, we can already perceive the
      lurid, hellish glare of the Spirits we call the Asuras.

      "The Deed of Christ and the Opposing Spiritual Powers Lucifer, Ahriman,
      Mephistopheles, Asuras", GA 107

      Steiner says some very interesting things about Lucifer in this same
      lecture, but I'll save that for another post.

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/
    • Tarjei Straume
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
        I wrote:

        >In a lecture held 1. January 1909 entitled "The Deed of Christ and the
        >Opposing Spiritual Powers Lucifer, Ahriman, Mephistopheles, Asuras" (GA
        >107) - ain't we in season here, folks? -

        Ooops!

        January 1st was "Mephistopheles and Earthquakes"; the lecture at hand about
        the Deed of Christ and Lucifer and Ahriman and the Asuras was held almost
        three months later - 22nd March!