racism and imperialism and other evils....

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2004
      This guy seems to write about Tolkien in the same vein PLANS writes about
      Steiner:

      http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-1-67-1653.jsp

      The Return of the King: Tolkien and the new medievalism
      K.A. Dilday 18 - 12 - 2003

      Some choice excerpts:

      "The obsession with power, will and hierarchy in Peter Jackson's film
      trilogy adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic The Lord of the Rings fuels its
      dangerous topicality: a vindication and veneration of empire."

      "We are living in times when the public rhetoric is medieval. Politicians
      and pundits invoke the words good and evil casually, as if the age of
      reason never happened. They speak proudly of killing, bullet-ridden corpses
      are triumphantly paraded. And like in Lord of the Rings, we define evil by
      demographics. The bloodline, the colour of skin, the ethnic background or
      nationality makes someone immediately suspect."

      "Can one judge a film with the morals of politics? Is Lord of the Rings
      seen differently in the United States than it is in Europe where the
      majority of people were against the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq? A
      fable is "a narration intended to enforce a useful truth." When I look at
      the Lord of the Rings as the fable its author, J.R.R. Tolkien, intended it
      to be, I see a world clearly divided into races and regions of leader and
      followers, I see Calvinist pre-determinism and I see the vindication and
      veneration of empire unfolding in frame after frame."

      "I can't lay the sole blame for the Lord of the Rings' atavistic
      classicism, racism and xenophobia with either auteur or author."

      "The evil creatures have darker skin and flat broad features, some wear
      turbans, others ride atop elephants in flat gazebos reminiscent of those
      that carried Indian maharajas."

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/