Re: Lazarus

    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 31, 2003
      Thanks for the link Tarjei. I never liked seeing Magdalene nude for
      some reason even less so now. It feels blasphemous to me in a way.
      Maybe because they gave her this unwarranted reputation that I am
      thrown back in shock to see her portrayed so tarnished in her flesh.

      The skull I think speaks to her initiation by Christ. And the books
      harken back to the Sybils who are always reading and are quite huge
      as is usually Magdalene. I think I need to read up on these sybils to
      see why they were so maligned. I have heard on list because of
      certain strange prophesies and such but I seem to want to know more
      of them. They are quite striking and seem very dedicated to their
      task of learning as they seem to be portrayed with books mostly. As
      well they have a masculine/feminine look about them. I love the way
      Michel has painted them.

      I find the interpretations of the artists paintings to be revolting.
      Why is it that when She has one hand pointed up and the other down it
      recalls indecisivness of which way she wishes to be loyal to while
      men who do this are considered enlightened. What about all those Near
      East paintings with the male god sitting on a lotus (creative
      feminine) with one hand pointing up and the other pointing down to
      earth. Do they not know of these? St. Francis is not even noted as
      such and we are looking at the same artist who painted both pictures
      of a similar nature. Agh!

      Happy New Year to you and yours,

      Dottie
    • holderlin66
      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 4, 2004
        holderlin wrote:

        "Bogart did so well as Caine in the "Caine Mutiny" using the nervous
        twitch of Caine, rolling steel marbles, or steelies in his hand, to
        compensate for his war shattered pathology. But Caine had a war
        shattered pathology. Bush has nothing but a limp, protected,
        sheltered, hand picked, Lodge Podge stooge psychology and the
        ultimate insult is that he was designed for the U.S. and us. Bush
        was groomed as governor Cyanide, as addictive drunk, as failed
        twelve step flunkie, as I luv dashboard Jesus cause he saved me...
        and that is the nature of the hairbrained half of the country that
        do not have the limberness of mind left in them to retain a scrap of
        self knowledge.

        What is left is stubborn, rigid, goose stepping, stiff armed denials
        and a Charleton Heston angry delerious cry, "from my cold dead
        hands" will they give up the GOP or the Power of Avarice no matter
        what truth stares them in the face. And for Anthro students, you
        would do well to study that face of GWB during the debates. You
        would have done well to study Zell Miller giving his speech at the
        RNC. You would do well to digest in your soul life what pathology
        looks like and if you need some help go back to Bogart in "The Caine
        Mutiny". "

        http://www.smirkingchimp.com/print.php?sid=18115

        "Bush's conduct was reminiscent of that of Captain Queeg, the
        mentally ill captain portrayed by Humphrey Bogart in "The Caine
        Mutiny" who could conceal his disorder unless rattled enough.

        In the film, Queeg orders his officers to steer the ship on a course
        that will cause the ship to flounder in a typhoon, in the South
        Pacific during World War II. He abruptly freezes in fear and his
        executive officer seizes control of the ship and saves everyone's
        butts.

        The exec and a second officer involved in the mutiny go on trial and
        their attorney, portrayed by Jose Ferrer, challenges Queeg on his
        accusations of officer disloyalty until Queeg erupts into a paranoid
        rant witnessed by the courtmartial judges.

        Bush on Thursday stopped short of a paranoid rant, but he sure
        bordered on it. He kept repeating himself, got annoyed whenever an
        indefensible question was directed to him and continued to complain
        about his administration's policies being "hard work."