6032Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] The Greening of America

  • Tarjei Straume
    Aug 1, 2004
      I quoted Charles A. Reich from 1970:

      >There is a revolution coming. It will not be like revolutions of the past.
      >It will originate with the individual and with culture, and it will change
      >the political structure only as its final act. It will not require
      >violence to succeed, and it cannot be successfully resisted by violence.
      >It is now spreading with amazing rapidity, and already our laws,
      >institutions and social structure are changing in consequence. It
      >promises a higher reason, a more human community, and a new and liberated
      >individual. Its ultimate creation will be a new and enduring wholeness and
      >beauty -- a renewed relationship of man to himself, to other men, to
      >society, to nature, and to the land.
      >
      >This is the revolution of the new generation. Their protest and rebellion,
      >their culture, clothes, music, drugs, ways of thought, and liberated
      >life-style are not a passing fad or a form of dissent and refusal, nor are
      >they in any sense irrational. The whole emerging pattern, from ideals to
      >campus demonstrations to beads and bell bottoms to the Woodstock Festival,
      >makes sense and is part of a consistent philosophy. It is both necessary
      >and inevitable, and in time it will include not only youth, but all people
      >in America.

      As you can see, the attempt was made - one hell of an attempt! - to change
      America, levitate the Pentagon and send it home to Jesus, Turn On, Tune In,
      Drop Out with Timothy Leary, dreaming of a better world with Martin Luther
      King, imagining a brotherhood of man with John Lennon - and there was
      indeed a considerable amount of optimism that the Green Revolution was
      indeed on the way. And Bob Dylan sang:

      The Times They Are A-Changin'

      Come gather 'round people
      Wherever you roam
      And admit that the waters
      Around you have grown
      And accept it that soon
      You'll be drenched to the bone.
      If your time to you
      Is worth savin'
      Then you better start swimmin'
      Or you'll sink like a stone
      For the times they are a-changin'.

      Come writers and critics
      Who prophesize with your pen
      And keep your eyes wide
      The chance won't come again
      And don't speak too soon
      For the wheel's still in spin
      And there's no tellin' who
      That it's namin'.
      For the loser now
      Will be later to win
      For the times they are a-changin'.

      Come senators, congressmen
      Please heed the call
      Don't stand in the doorway
      Don't block up the hall
      For he that gets hurt
      Will be he who has stalled
      There's a battle outside
      And it is ragin'.
      It'll soon shake your windows
      And rattle your walls
      For the times they are a-changin'.

      Come mothers and fathers
      Throughout the land
      And don't criticize
      What you can't understand
      Your sons and your daughters
      Are beyond your command
      Your old road is
      Rapidly agin'.
      Please get out of the new one
      If you can't lend your hand
      For the times they are a-changin'.

      The line it is drawn
      The curse it is cast
      The slow one now
      Will later be fast
      As the present now
      Will later be past
      The order is
      Rapidly fadin'.
      And the first one now
      Will later be last
      For the times they are a-changin'.

      Yep, it was a general consensus that the Old Order delivering Death and
      Misery because of - well, Retarded Thinking again - would have to go.

      Today, the Neocons are singing:

      The Times They Won't Be Changin'

      Come gather 'round people
      Wherever you roam
      And admit that the liberals
      Around you have grown
      And accept it that soon
      You'll be sick to the bone.
      If your churches and guns are worth savin'
      Then you better start shootin'
      Or you'll drop like a stone
      For the times they won't be changin'.

      Come writers and critics
      in your pink underwear
      I'll tell you some bad shit
      You don't wanna hear
      Join us or die,
      You who tremble with fear!
      And there's no tellin' who
      That we're namin'.
      For we are in charge
      And we don't really care
      For the times they won't be changin'.

      Come senators, congressmen
      Give us your orders
      We'll stand in the doorway
      And block up the borders
      For he that gets hurt
      is beggin' for quarters
      There's a fire outside
      That we're quenchin'.
      It'll fill our prisons
      And protect your daughters
      For the times they won't be changin'.

      Come mothers and fathers
      Throughout the land
      Give your kids a good whacking
      so they'll understand
      That your sons and your daughters
      Must obey our command
      Your "new road" was
      Crushed down in Beijing.
      Please get out of the country
      If you can't lend your hand
      For the times they won't be changin'.

      The line it is drawn
      And we're pitching a fight
      The left-winger now
      Will swing to the right
      As the present now
      Will prove our Might
      The order won't ever
      Be fadin'.
      And the first one now
      Is ready for his bite
      For the times they won't be changin'.

      But let's get back to Charles A. Reich's 1970 book, "The Greening of
      America." It's been wow 33 years since I read it, and I don't have it
      anymore, but I'll try to make some remarks from memory. There was some
      trivial baloney here and there, but his central idea was inspiring and
      deeply impressive. There was something nonsensical about peanut butter -
      Reich wanted crunchy peanut butter but could only find the creamy variety
      in the stores, and this had something to do with corporate conspiracy and
      so on. And then he kept picking on skiers. Why does a person ski? he asked.
      He thought it was an unnatural lifestyle, this skiing - and you know that
      sounds weird to Norwegian ears.

      But then again, Reich had some very interesting reflections from what he
      observed in American society at that time. He found the hippies interesting
      and attractive because even though they were young (in their teens and
      twenties), many of them looked older, they looked "as if they had lived
      longer". (My comment:) In the youth-obsessed West, it is an outrage for
      young people to look old; it's associated with decadent, decrepid
      lifestyles and excessive substance abuse. What Reich saw, however, was
      people who seemed to have lived longer, and who were genuinely concerned
      about the problems in the world; they were people of conscience and wisdom.
      He compared these wise, mature, intelligent faces of young hippies with
      "the baby-faced tennis player", i.e. the corporate executive who may be
      middle age or older but looks like a kid because his soul has never
      matured. And then he gets sidetracked into that nonsense about skiing and
      his pbsession with crunchy peanut butter, but whenever he returns to his
      central theme, he's brilliant.

      What Reich described in this book was the young hope of an era, of a
      generation. It was too immature to succeed, there were too many parties,
      sex and drugs, and the liberty was hijacked by hedonism, honest outlaws
      became hardened criminals, and the others, like Bill Clinton, sold out and
      joined the Establishment.

      But the hierarchies will try again, and again, and again, looking for the
      right generation to succeed. And that's what we should be telling our
      children and grandchildren..

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/