5017Grace and the bottom line

  • holderlin66
    May 2 10:09 PM
      Jo Ann Schwartz wrote:

      > Is there no room in your spiritual science for the mystery of
      Grace?

      > In wonder,
      > JoAnn

      Well as my dear brother, "Bruce Almighty" said to George Burns, "say
      Good Night Gracie". Great Gracie was at bat, Michael School 3;
      Legion 23: It was the 5th Inning and Gracie came to bat. Infield
      hits, bunts, and too many outs, nobody on base. I always liked the
      underdawgs. Well if we see our team work shared over the globe, with
      our shabby little RS hats, old mitts, worn out cleats..I guess it's
      the only team I would root for. But then I'm a Lord of the Rings
      fan.

      While our fully funded flashy Corporate opponents all look like
      Cheshire cats: Say, JoAnn, just thinking outloud here, if we had
      roughly 700 semi-functioning Waldorf Schools and various other
      Anthro works over the globe, what do we think the estimated budgets
      of all those striving works amount to in relation to, let say the
      following examples?

      700 X $100,000.00 or $200,000.00. Another say, 200 centers, with
      maybe $25,000.00..What is our rough global budget? Now, who can
      measure grace against the numbers? I am curious just what the bottom
      line, might look like. Plus the investment of thousands and
      thousands of hearts, who with child or hope in hand call out for
      Divine Aid. Call forth with their incarnation and their children's
      incarnations, new schools, teachers and salaries.

      THE OTHER GUYS:

      "The military-academic complex is merely one of many readily
      perceptible, but largely ignored, examples of the increasing
      militarization of American society. While the Pentagon has long
      sought to exploit and exert influence over civilian cultural
      institutions, from academia to the entertainment industry, today's
      massive budgets make its power increasingly irresistible. The
      Pentagon now has both the money and the muscle to alter the
      landscape of higher education, to manipulate research agendas, to
      change the course of curricula and to force schools to play by its
      rules.

      Moreover, the military research underway on college campuses across
      America has very real and dangerous implications for the future. It
      will enable or enhance imperial adventures in decades to come; it
      will lead to new lethal technologies to be wielded against peoples
      across the globe; it will feed a superpower arms race of one, only
      increasing the already vast military asymmetry between the United
      States and everyone else; it will make ever-more heavily armed,
      technologically-equipped, and "up-armored" U.S. war-fighters ever
      less attractive adversaries and American and allied civilians much
      more appealing soft targets for America's enemies. None of this,
      however, enters the realm of debate. Instead, the Pentagon rolls
      along, doling out money to colleges large and small, expanding and
      strengthening the military-academic complex, and remaking civilian
      institutions to suit military desires as if this were but the
      natural way of the world."

      "In 1958, the Department of Defense spent an already impressive $91
      million in support of "academic research." By 1964, the sum had
      reached $258 million and by 1970, in the midst of the Vietnam War,
      $266 million. By 2003, however, any of these numbers, or even their
      $615 million total, was dwarfed by the Pentagon's prime contract
      awards to just two schools, the Massachusetts Institute of
      Technology and Johns Hopkins University which, together, raked in a
      combined total of $842,437,294.

      War-Making U or U Make War?

      As it turns out, the military and the Department of Defense (DoD)
      have an entire system of education and training institutions and
      organizations of their own, including the many schools of the
      National Defense University system (NDU): the National War College,
      the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, the School for National
      Security Executive Education, the Joint Forces Staff College, and
      the Information Resources Management College as well as the Defense
      Acquisition University, the Joint Military Intelligence College --
      open only to "U.S. citizens in the armed forces and in federal
      civilian service who hold top secret/SCI (Sensitive Compartmented
      Information) clearances" -- the Defense Language Institute Foreign
      Language Center, the Naval Postgraduate School, the Naval War
      College, Air University, the Air Force Institute of Technology, the
      Marine Corps University and the Uniformed Services University of the
      Health Sciences, among others. In fact, scholar Chalmers Johnson has
      noted in his new book on American militarism, The Sorrows of Empire,
      that there are approximately 150 military-educational institutions
      in the U.S.

      While the service academies train a youthful corps of tomorrow's
      military officers, enrolled in the schools of the National Defense
      University are a group of selected commissioned officers, with
      approximately 20 years of service, and civilian officials from
      various agencies, including the Department of Defense, who are
      schooled in a curriculum that emphasizes "the development and
      implementation of national security strategy and military strategy,
      mobilization, acquisition, management of resources, information and
      information technology for national security, and planning for joint
      and combined operations." Further, good old' NDU sustains the golden-
      triangle military agencies, the high technology industry, and
      research universities by "promot[ing] understanding and teamwork
      among the Armed Forces and between those agencies of the Government
      and industry that contribute to national security." To this end, the
      school also opens spots to "industry fellows" from the private
      sector who, says NDU president and Air Force Lt. Gen. Michael M.
      Dunn, "bring ideas from industry to the Defense Department."

      The power of the Pentagon extends beyond an ability to frame or
      dictate research goals to significant parts of our civilian
      education establishment. Higher education's dependence on federal
      dollars empowers the DoD to bend universities ever more easily to
      its will. For example, as Chalmers Johnson notes, until August 2002,
      Harvard Law School "managed to bar recruiters for the Judge Advocate
      General's Corps of the military because qualified students who wish
      to serve are rejected if they are openly gay, lesbian or bisexual."
      However, thanks to a quick reinterpretation of federal law, the
      Pentagon found itself able to threaten Harvard with a loss of all
      its federal university funding, some $300 billion, if its law school
      denied access to military recruiters. Unable to fathom life ripped
      from the federal teat, Harvard caved, ushering in a new era of
      dwindling academic autonomy and growing military control of the
      university.

      The NSA, however, has to share the spotlight with a host of other
      military, militarized, or intelligence agencies and subagencies when
      it comes to the military-academic action The credo of the Army
      Research Laboratory (ARL) in Adelphi, Maryland, for instance,
      is "delivering science and technology solutions to the warfighter"
      which it strives to do by "put[ting] the best and brightest to work
      solving the [Army's] problems" by employing "a variety of funding
      mechanisms to support and exploit programs at universities and
      industry." The Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) is
      also high on "University relationships" that provide it with "an
      excellent recruitment resource for high-caliber graduate and
      undergraduate students." Its SPAWAR Systems Center in Charleston,
      S.C, alone, has cooperative agreements with Clemson University, the
      University of South Carolina, The Citadel, the College of
      Charleston, Old Dominion University, North Carolina State
      University, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, the University of Central
      Florida and North Carolina A & T State University."
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic