50017Doomsday or Lit de Parade? (was: AT posts)

    Apr 11, 2012
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <gaelman58@...> wrote:

      > I was a regular reader...there were some excellent posts on this site...learned quite a bit from some folks...especially when Steiner was quoted...Dennis

      The destruction of the Enterprise takes place in the 1984 movie Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, with the Original Cast intact.

      Self destruct is last resort tactic which completely destroys a starship or facility. Self destruct (or Auto destruct or Destruct Sequence) systems can be found on most if not all Federation Starfleet ships and those of many other species and governments.

      Auto-destruct is usually done as a last resort, to prevent the capture of technology by foreign forces, or in the case of Federation ships, to prevent the technology from falling into the hands of those protected by the Prime Directive. In the space forces of the Federation and many galactic powers, it is an accepted fact of life that this sacrifice may need to be made for these reasons.

      The destruct order is also known as "Starfleet Order two-zero-zero-five".

      In 2285, Kirk used the auto destruct on the USS Enterprise to prevent the vessel being taken by forces of the Klingon Empire.

      Death Of The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)

      Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov have a code each, and only when all three are combined, may the Enterprise be destroyed. So they activate the doomsday sequence and abandon ship in order to prevent the enemy Klingons from taking it over. (The dialogue is muted and replaced with music, but the lines are all typed on the screen.)

      It should should announce through a special message to all one of these days (a message everyone gets whether they're individual email subscribers or not) that the Captain (as I've been called all these years) and First Officer Ted are opting for the Doomsday Button, and that we need at least one more high ranking officer to actually do it.

      The only other high ranking officer who seems to care at all is Communications Officer Jenny, and the three of us have now concluded that instead of blowing the vessel up, we'll put it on lit de parade by disabling all further postings (because there will be nobody on the bridge) and yet leave the archives as they are, permanentlly. Yahoo won't delete the group as long as a message is posted at least once a year or something like that. So it won't vanish completely until we've all totally forgotten about it.