49979Re: Worldviews

    Apr 3, 2012

      > Wow, again. They just don't realise how nasty they are.

      So so, don't think of them as nasty. Think instead of all the sweetest and most lovable things about them. I know that can be hard sometimes, especially in the beginning, but after a while it becomes a habit. We're trying to help them become more lovable, not less. They may bite and sting like vipers and wasps at this early stage, especially when they're confronted with unalloyed spiritual truth, but they'll come around you'll see. Occasional setbacks on their thorny and self-sacrificing path is to be expected, just like you and I have also had our setbacks.

      We've been nasty too, and if we judge the nastiness of others, none of us shall see salvation like Shakespeare put it through the lines of Portia in the Merchant of Venice: "That, in the course of justice, none of us Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy; And that same prayer doth teach us all to render The deeds of mercy."

      I know about a perfect gift for either of these wonderful, beautiful ladies: The Pursuit of Holiness (by Jerry Bridges) . It's a little fundamentalist, perhaps, but that's the kind of meat these babies and puppies and kittens in Christ need at this stage. Then they can try grownup-stuff like Steiner afterwards.