49398Re: Wilson (was: Austria-Hungary)

  • ted.wrinch
    Feb 9, 2012
      In a way wer'e all trying to find evidence for what should be the obvious. Frank has quoted Churchill:

      " 'The second cardinal tragedy was the complete
      break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire...There is not one of these peoples or
      provinces that constituted the Empire of the Hapsburgs to whom gaining their
      independence has not brought the tortures which ancient poets and theologians
      had reserved for the damned.'"

      The only reason the Wilson's 'national self-determination' proposal doesn't get short shrift is because it *sounds* high-minded, and that's enough for most people. Which is then just the thing conservative historians like Der Staudi (though he may see himself as 'radical' he really isn't) can then trade on to damn independent thinkers like Steiner: eg see WC message 8146.

      T.

      Ted Wrinch

      > I've gone through the 48 lectures in the series "Interpreting the 20th
      > Century: The Struggle Over Democracy" by Professor Pamela Radcliff,
      > Ph.D. (Columbia University, Associate Professor, Department of History,
      > University of California at San Diego), available from The Teaching
      > Company /The Great Courses
      > <http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=8090>
      > .
      >
      > In lectures 46 and 48, Pamela Radcliff makes some interesting remarks
      > that may corroborate the suggested take on Woodrow Wilson below (from my
      >
      > In Lecture Forty-Six ("The 'End of History'?"), she says about ethnic
      > nationalism in particular:
      > "The first nature of this threat is that this kind of racial nationalism
      > threatens the principles of individual rights. Once again, it takes us
      > back to the Nazi form of nationalism where the unit of society is the
      > ethnic group versus the individual, and leaves no basis on which
      > individuals and indivisual minorities have rights."
      > In this lecture, Pamela Radcliff was saying these things in the context
      > of the political and social conflicts and chaos that followed the
      > collapse of Communism in the late eighties and early nineties,
      > especially after 1991. In Lecture Forty-Eight, however, ("A New World
      > Order?"), she makes a direct link to Wilsonianism when explaining one of
      > several positions on the issue at hand:
      > "Implicit in the other position is that nation-states are or should be
      > weakening in the face of global challenges. Thus this position would
      > argue that the nation-state system has proven to have a destructive
      > impact on the world in the 20th century, and that the Wilsonian ideal
      > for every people to have their own nation and state has given rise to
      > many of the violent conflicts as well as the environmental destruction
      > of the 20th century.
      >
      > "The origins of the nationalist conflict in Yugoslavia can be traced all
      > the way back to the 1918 formation of the Yugoslav nation out of a
      > diverse group of regions with different cultural traditions and no
      > common history."
      > One of the things about Woodrow Wilson that seem to have irritated
      > Rudolf Steiner, apart from his schoolmasterly moralism (somewhat
      > reminiscent of Obama's elequent rhetoric imho), was that he kept talking
      > about the freedom of nations and peoples -- treating states and
      > institutions like human beings (just like corporations have personhood
      > according to American jurisprudence), and neglecting and ignoring the
      > simple fact that you can't have free nations unless you have free
      > individuals first.
      >
      > Here is an excerpt from GA 196 translated by none other than --- yes,
      > you guessed it: Our very own Frank.
      > "I will now read to you a definition of the law that Woodrow Wilson gave
      > so you can see how this definition consists of nothing but platitudes.
      > He said: "The law is the will of the state in respect to those
> [...]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic