48047Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Who's ready for kindergarten torture?

  • JoAnn Schwartz
    Jun 14, 2011
      Hi Frank,

      It IS bad.  And getting worse.  I am not sure how much public / charter waldorf schools can help, though.  Friends of ours sent their children to a public "waldorf-inspired" school here in Detroit -- and their kids spent the first six weeks of the year preparing for the MEAP tests.  Public / charter schools are not generally exempt from the high-stakes testing mandated by No Child Left Behind.

      About 5 years ago, a colleague from work went to the "Kindergarten Round-up" for their local (highly regarded) public schools.  Up to this point, their daughter had been home with Dad (who worked from home) and Mom (who had a reduced (32 hr/wk) work schedule), so did not attend pre-school.  Parents were floored to discover the child was not only expected to know the alphabet, but to print upper- and lower-case letters in the approved style and to know the rudiments of addition and subtraction.  When Mom protested, the kindy folks scolded her, saying if the daughter had been in a decent pre-school, she would already *know* how to do these things.

      Mom and Dad decided to homeschool the kid, as they lived about an hour from the closest waldorf school.

      Sadly, many parents are on-board with this cramming down of learning. They prefer 'academic kindergarten' to 'developmental kindergarten' -- thinking that it gives the kids a leg up. Then they wonder why their 4th grader is burnt out.

      ¡Ay, caramba!
      JoAnn

      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      "The vote you cast when you buy something is as important
      as the vote you cast in the ballot box."
      --- John Perkins

      --- On Mon, 6/13/11, Frank Thomas Smith wrote:

      > I don't have any experience with
      > what's going on in the U.S. except what I read in the
      > papers. But it looks bad. According to this article the
      > people making such decisions as to *when* children should
      > start learning abstract stuff in school (ever earlier) don't
      > have a clue as to what kids really need. It's a big reason
      > why Waldorf charter schools could be so important - to save
      > all those little kids from early torture.
      > Frank
      > http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/06/12/whos-ready-for-kindergarten
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic