      From: at@ael...
      Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] RS about racial evolution

      Hi Daniel, you wrote:
      "So the human body evolved, and ideas evolve, but cultures (composed of bodies and ideas) don't evolve?"

      Peter Staudenmaier:
      Not by natural selection. If you believe that cultures evolve by natural selection, then I think you have an inadequate grasp of the concept. Cultures are neither genetic nor hereditary.

      Daniel:
      Peter, one of the first things you learn in Biology is that evolution does not equal natural selection. There are many theories of evolution. Relativly few of them involve natural selection as the method of evolution (though the generally accepted ones do). Your education might benefit from a few basic biology courses.

      Repeat: "Evolution does not equal natural selection."

      Good, now I hope that you won't misapply the methods of biology to culture (you of all people should know what a mess that creates).

      Back to my origional question:
      "So the human body evolved, and ideas evolve, but cultures (composed of bodies and ideas) don't evolve?"
      Note: I did not ask if cultures evolved through natural selection. I asked if they evolved at all by any mechanism.

      Daniel Hindes
    • Show all 57 messages in this topic