41792Mary of Cleophas

    Sep 9, 2009

      You know, looking at Mary of Cleophas, and because I do not see Lazarus at the cross, I see her in the place of the stepmother....and the two that are on the road it seems are Peter and Lazarus/Cleophas or I don't understand how those two can say that Peter saw the Lord unless it was right then and there on the road and then to the disciples...and it seemed to me where Peter is redeemed and how it can be said that the Lord appeared to Simon.

      I think Cleophas may be a name change for the Stepmother....and so in John where we have Mother we have heavenly Sophia, in Cleophas we have the Stepmother who experienced a name change, and then the Magdalene....So, if we have Cleophas standing in and being united by Christ with Lazarus she stands for both of them...I always had a hard time with those who said Lazarus had to be hidden because of the controversy of being risen, and the reason why they wanted to stone Jesus in the end...for he had risen a man..this was the final reasoning was it not?

      So, it was Christ Jesus who saw Lazarus, and said 'the disciple whom the Lord loved' and without name, I think this might also have to do with the idea of him not being there at the cross. I never understood the physical mother Mary being there, but with the stepmother as Cleophas and now already united with Lazarus, something that actually might or most likely did occur at the raising, although the Lord states it at the crucifixion, we would have the Mother (Sophia) and Cleophas (Lazarus/Stepmother/now representing Sophia after being united with the heavenly Nathan Mary) but physically only Cleophas, and Magdalene. That's what I am considering.

      I always considered it to be the Magdalene who was walking with Cleophas because in John she is noted as a female. But I met with a lot of resistant that those two were females...but with Cleophas already noted as female, unless your looking at her husband, it had to be a female...but now I am thinking that at the cross we are looking at the female with Lazarus within and on the walk we are looking at Lazarus with Cleophas within walking with Peter...or how could they say that it was Simon who saw him first as it says in Luke...well, anyway that's what I am looking at....d

      Mary of Cleophas

      This title occurs only in John 19:25. A comparison of the lists of those who stood at the foot of the cross would seem to identify her with Mary, the mother of James the Less and Joseph (Mark 15:40; cf. Matthew 27:56). Some have indeed tried to identify her with the Salome of Mark 15:40, but St. John's reticence concerning himself and his relatives seems conclusive against this (cf. John 21:2). In the narratives of the Resurrection she is named "Mary of James"; (Mark 16:1; Luke 24:10) and "the other Mary" (Matthew 27:61; 28:1). The title of "Mary of James" is obscure. If it stood alone, we should feel inclined to render it "wife of (or sister of) James", but the recurrence of the expression "Mary the mother of James and Joseph" compels us to render it in the same way when we only read "Mary of James". Her relationship to the Blessed Virgin is obscure. James is termed "of Alpheus", i.e. presumably "son of Alpheus". St. Jerome would identify this Alpheus with Cleophas who, according to Hegesippus, was brother to St. Joseph (Hist. eccl., III, xi). In this case Mary of Cleophas, or Alpheus, would be the sister-in-law of the Blessed Virgin, and the term "sister", adelphe, in John 19:25, would cover this. But there are grave difficulties in the way of this identification of Alpheus and Cleophas. In the first place, St. Luke, who speaks of Cleophas (24:18), also speaks of Alpheus (6:15; Acts 1:13). We may question whether he would have been guilty of such a confused use of names, had they both referred to the same person. Again, while Alphas is the equivalent of the Aramaic, it is not easy to see how the Greek form of this became Cleophas, or more correctly Clopas. More probably it is a shortened form of Cleopatros.

      25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus, his mother and his mother's sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalen. 26 When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. 27 After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own. 28 Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst. 29 Now there was a vessel set there, full of vinegar. And they, putting a sponge full of vinegar about hyssop, put it to his mouth. 30 Jesus therefore, when he had taken the vinegar, said: It is consummated. And bowing his head, he gave up the ghost.

      Luke 24:
      And on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared. 2 And they found the stone rolled back from the sepulchre. 3 And going in, they found not the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 And it came to pass, as they were astonished in their mind at this, behold, two men stood by them, in shining apparel. 5 And as they were afraid and bowed down their countenance towards the ground, they said unto them: Why seek you the living with the dead? 6 He is not here, but is risen. Remember how he spoke unto you, when he was yet in Galilee, 7 Saying: The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and the third day rise again. 8 And they remembered his words. 9 And going back from the sepulchre, they told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest. 10 And it was Mary Magdalen and Joanna and Mary of James and the other women that were with them, who told these things to the apostles. 11 And these words seemed to them as idle tales: and they did not believe them. 12 But Peter rising up, ran to the sepulchre and, stooping down, he saw the linen cloths laid by themselves: and went away wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.

      13 And behold, two of them went, the same day, to a town which was sixty furlongs from Jerusalem, named Emmaus. 14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened. 15 And it came to pass that while they talked and reasoned with themselves, Jesus himself also, drawing near, went with them. 16 But their eyes were held, that they should not know him. 17 And he said to them: What are these discourses that you hold one with another as you walk and are sad? 18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleophas, answering, said to him: Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things that have been done there in these days? 19 To whom he said: What things? And they said: Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet, mighty in work and word before God and all the people. 20 And how our chief priests and princes delivered him to be condemned to death and crucified him. 21 But we hoped that it was he that should have redeemed Israel. And now besides all this, to-day is the third day since these things were done. 22 Yea and certain women also of our company affrighted us who, before it was light, were at the sepulchre, 23 And not finding his body, came, saying that they had all seen a vision of angels, who say that he is alive. 24 And some of our people went to the sepulchre and found it so as the women had said: but him they found not. 25 Then he said to them: O foolish and slow of heart to believe in all things, which the prophets have spoken. 26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things and so, to enter into his glory? 27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded to them in all the scriptures the things that were concerning him. 28 And they drew nigh to the town whither they were going: and he made as though he would go farther. 29 But they constrained him, saying: Stay with us, because it is towards evening and the day is now far spent. And he went in with them. 30 And it came to pass, whilst he was at table with them, he took bread and blessed and brake and gave to them. 31 And their eyes were opened: and they knew him. And he vanished out of their sight. 32 And they said one to the other: Was not our heart burning within us, whilst he spoke in the way and opened to us the scriptures? 33 And rising up, the same hour, they went back to Jerusalem: and they found the eleven gathered together, and those that were with them, 34 Saying: The Lord is risen indeed and hath appeared to Simon. 35 And they told what things were done in the way: and how they knew him in the breaking of bread.