41433The Internet and the Spidermesh

  • lightsearcher1
    May 31 7:17 PM
      From the aforementioned New York Times "Superbrain" article:

      "...a self-aware computing system would emerge spontaneously from the interconnections of billions of computers and computer networks..."

      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/weekinreview/24markoff.html

      Comment:

      With our near-obsessive use of this modern tool ("even the Elect shall be deceived") and the continuous ramping up of its technical capacities, it is quite possible we are setting down the objective material/spiritual foundations of the interlocking ("internet-ed")  mesh of ahrimanic beings Steiner described in 1921.

      : : :

      A Picture of Earth-Evolution in the Future

      Lecture by Rudolf Steiner
      Dornach, May 13th, 1921 (GA 204)

      ...But try to imagine what will happen if men go on unfolding no other kinds of thoughts until the time is reached in the eighth millennium for the moon-existence to unite again with the earth.

      These Beings of whom I have spoken will gradually come down to the earth -- Vulcan Beings, `Supermen' of Vulcan, `Supermen' of Venus, of Mercury, of the Sun, will unite with this earth-existence.

      But if human beings persist in nothing but opposition to them, earth-existence will pass over into chaos in the course of the next few thousand years.

      It will be quite possible for the men of earth, if they so wish, to develop a more and more automatic form of intellect.

      But that can also happen amid conditions of barbarism.

      Full and complete manhood, however, cannot come to expression in such a form of intellect, and men will have no relationship to the Beings who would fain come towards them in earth-existence.

      And all those Beings of whom men have such an erroneous conception because the shadowy intellect can only grasp the mineral nature, the crudely material nature in the minerals, plants and animals, nay even in the human kingdom itself — all these thoughts which have no reality will in a trice become substantial realities when the moon unites again with the earth.

      And from the earth there will spring forth a terrible brood of beings, a brood of automata of an order of existence lying between the mineral and the plant kingdoms, and possessed of an overwhelming power of intellect.

      This swarm will seize upon the earth, will spread over the earth like a network of ghastly, spider-like creatures, of an order lower than that of plant-existence, but possessed of overpowering wisdom.

      These spidery creatures will be all interlocked with one another, and in their outward movements they will imitate the thoughts that men have spun out of the shadowy intellect that has not allowed itself to be quickened by the new form of Imaginative Knowledge by Spiritual Science. All the thoughts that lack substance and reality will then be endowed with being.

      The earth will be surrounded — as it is now with air and as it sometimes is with swarms of locusts — with a brood of terrible spider-like creatures, half-mineral, half-plant, interweaving with masterly intelligence, it is true, but with intensely evil intent.

      And in so far as man has not allowed his shadowy intellectual concepts to be quickened to life, his existence will be united not with the Beings who have been trying to descend since the last third of the nineteenth century, but with this ghastly brood of half-mineral, half-plantlike creatures. He will have to live together with these spider-like creatures and to continue his cosmic existence within the order of evolution into which this brood will then enter.

      This is a destiny that is very emphatically part of human evolution upon the earth, and it is quite well known today by many of those who try to hold humanity back from the knowledge of Spiritual Science.

      For there are men who are actually conscious allies of this process of the entanglement of earth-existence.

      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Dates/19210513p01.html

      Also see:
      http://www.waldorflibrary.org/Journal_Articles/PacificJ29.pdf

      [End quote]

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kimgm@...> wrote:

      > This "Superbrain" religion, is part of the Ahrimanian Deception, if you
      > can make a Superbrain, then man is only an animal, not even better than
      > an physical construct...
      > /Kim

      > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith"
      > > eltrigal78@ wrote: