36877Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Morality

  • Mike Helsher
    Apr 7, 2008
      Hi Albert,

      I've been studying Rudolph Steiner on and off for about ten years now. When I found out that the Philosophy of Freedom was the crown jewel, so to speak, I dived into it. And I also made sure that everyone in our little Waldorf community knew that I was reading it. Most people would give me funny looks and tell me not to read "that one". Little me, being a needy attention getter and reveling in my superior understanding of RS's most important book, got a bang out of the whole thing. Little did "I" understand then about the insidiousness and self-sabotage of the  self made "little me" and it's insane drive for more to identify with in the material realm: "Me and my story". Any idea past or future and any way to make me right and others wrong was paramount.

      I can see the same kind of egoic insanity in the macro as well. I seem to remember RS defining evil as being created by beings that were trying to evolve of their own accord (someone correct me if I got this wrong). In other words, the idea of right here right now is not ok. And the collective egoic insanity (funded by lodges in league with Ari and Luci amongst others in pure anthro terms) is prone to insidiousness and sabotage as well, perhaps culminating in recent years with 911. Tarjei has made reference to Jens Bjorneboe's suicide as being driven by such powers. The list goes on and on.

      What I've learned thus far is that the POF was designed to bring the intellect to it's knees. I've found for myself that the best way to read it is to be in the "exceptional state" of observing. In this state, concrete concepts derived form a few sentences evaporate quickly, and I find that a page or two will come together in a flash of intuitive understanding. Plugging into that kind of state has transformational qualities beyond words. Much like the two seed meditation in HKHW.

      I think it is possible for some to get lost in the conceptualized understanding of "higher worlds". Much like many did and do with all the new agey frothing at the mouth that I've read about and followed along with over the years. The irony and beauty of the POF however, is that it is very hard, for most people, to form any concrete conceptualized understanding from it, while at the same time it stretches our intellectual capacities to their limits. What we end up with is very similar to, "In the beginning was the word".

      No doubt in my heart that RS knew deeply the danger of thinking without awareness on an individual and collective level. In his day the onslaught of this kind of frozen dead thinking was reaching critical mass and so began the insanity of WW1 and the 200+ million humans killed by other humans since.

      To my understanding, history has not shown us a more prolific intellectual so deeply committed to the service of humanity from a spiritual perspective. "60 volumes". And just like there was no other that could fill Abe Lincolns shoes at that precise point in history, there was Rudolph Steiner providing perspective at a time when the well of spirit was running as dry as a Peter Staudenmiaer post on the WC list.

      RS was who he was, where he was and when he was. I think it important for us, in our study of his work, not to forget who we are (our perhaps to find out who we are) where we are, and when we are.

      Something wonderful and powerful is happening all around the world now. We had to wait the "hundred years" that RS mentions on the home page of this list, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthroposophy_tomorrow/ It might not be conceptualized as "Anthroposophy" but it certainly is in tune, IMO, to the idea of "Thinking with the power of Love in spiritual form".

      My two and a half cents

      Mike

      Albert Sándor <montek@...> wrote:
      I have been put my former actions into a painful situation where I cannot act in any way, but by hurting others. No possibility of external solution, but an inner one.
      I say staying in it is not suffering for suffering's sake, but for other's and my own sake, as I have realized the two are in fact, the same. I can only marvel at the beauty of the plan concieved to corner me. :)

      What I learnt that there is nothing on earth, or in heavens what would make causing suffering justifyable. Not even for their own good. It is not for us to decide.
      Seven years ago, I felt this, but I did not have the strenght and understanding to act accordingly.

      Thank you for the title given. I really need to expand my library. What I have read from RS: Apocalypse of John, The occult science, Reincarnation and karma, Children of Lucifer and Brothers of Christ, and ... I'll have to check. Oh, I am using The guide to meditation. More and more I learn form it, and feel how it is alive.
      The philosophy of Freedom ... this is a hard nut to crack, I never really got through the first pages, God know I tried. Probably there is a reason for this, too. I am mostly emotional and intuitive, still got to work on reason and intellect. I also read the Bible on a regular bases - not as part as my religious heritage, becuase that is non-existant. In fact, I became a christian on the impulse of The Apocalypse of John. (I used to be an atheist-materialist more than a decade ago)

      I like what you say about dogma and ideology. These two years I have been reading a lot, and one thing I learnt that I am quite influencable. I do not trust the words now, but the norishment to my soul they might contain.

      I will be thankful for any suggestions what to read, and where to get the books.