35957Re: Editorial - NYTimes

  • Mike helsher
    Jan 2, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66"

      <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/opinion/31mon1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&\
      > ref=opinion&pagewanted=print> , titled "Looking at America," bemoaning
      > what the nation has come to. It starts out like this:
      >
      > "There are too many moments these days when we cannot recognize our
      > country. Sunday was one of them, as we read the account in The Times of
      > how men in some of the most trusted posts in the nation plotted to cover
      > up the torture of prisoners by Central Intelligence Agency interrogators
      > by destroying videotapes of their sickening behavior. It was impossible
      > to see the founding principles of the greatest democracy in the contempt
      > these men and their bosses showed for the Constitution, the rule of law
      > and human decency."
      >
      > It's a great editorial, and I agree with pretty much every word in it.
      >
      > So why am I so pissed off?
      >
      > Because the NYT was no small contributor to the state of affairs in
      > which we find ourselves today. In fact, this little tid-bit:
      >
      > "We have seen the president, sworn to defend the Constitution, turn his
      > powers on his own citizens, authorizing the intelligence agencies to spy
      > on Americans, wiretapping phones and intercepting international e-mail
      > messages without a warrant."
      >
      > was information that the Times knew about before the 2004 election - and
      > sat on so as not to hurt George W. Bush's chances for re-election! Like
      > the Supreme Court in 2000, who delivered a ruling that only applied to
      > Bush to guarantee his civil right to be President by not counting votes,
      > a lot of institutions seem dedicated to protecting at all costs one
      > man's divine right to the Presidency. Funny - I thought the first
      > responsibility the press has (and the reason that it is the only
      > profession singled out in the First Amendment for special protection) is
      > to the public interest and the public's right to know the truth - not
      > covering the President's rear end. But the New York Times held back what
      > they knew about warrantless wiretapping, and Dubya was able to weasel
      > into another deadly term.
      >
      > This supposed 'liberal rag' was a cheerleader for this war that they are
      > now wringing their hands about. Judith Miller delivered article after
      > article filled with 'information' trumpeting 'weapons of mass
      > destruction', which gave credibility to the Bush Administration's
      > insistence that Saddam Hussein was an imminent threat who could only be
      > dealt with by pre-emptive military attack.
      >
      > Every time the Times had a chance to stand up and tell the truth, they
      > cravenly rolled over for their corporate masters. Now they're blubbering
      > about how awful these last seven years have been.
      >
      > Boo hoo hoo.
      >
      > You can bite me, NYT.

      Geesh brother Bradford...Who wants to bite who here?

      Ya ever stop to think for a minuet that all this vehement anti-Christ
      info might be serving to create more of the same?

      Well If I'm an anthro michael school flunky, then I'll just have to
      reside to being an anthro-biocybernaut instead.

      http://www.biocybernaut.com/

      For $15,000 they will hook me up to the latest scientific gear for a
      week and teach me to consciously create alpha brain waves that are
      supposed to reduce stress, enhance creativity, allow deep forgiveness
      and raise IQ, so as to be a more positive light onto my own little world.

      I'll Let you know when I'm back and I'll take your Michael school exam
      then.

      In the mean time, might I suggest for you a hot lavender Bath, a daily
      breath mediation, and a daily glass of organic Kombucha (biodymanic if
      you can find it).

      Peace

      Mike
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic