32627Fwd: Calendar of the Soul 17, Anthro on the Net

  • TomBuoyed@aol.com
    Jul 31, 2007

      -----Original Message-----
      From: randolph mccready <rgmcc@...>
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
      Sent: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 1:32 pm
      Subject: Calendar of the Soul 17, Anthro on the Net FF

      Anthroposophy on the Net - Calendar of the Soul
      See printable version above

      Rudolf Steiner’s
      Calendar of the Soul[July 22, 2007 - July 28, 2007]
      Seventeenth Week
        WMP       to hear the Calendar read         MP3
         click on either above picture

      So speaks the cosmic Word,
      Which I, through the senses’ doors,
      Might guide into my inmost soul:
      “Inspire your spirit-depths
      With all my cosmic breadth,
      And find in time Myself in you.”

      * translation by John Thomson.
      _____________________

      Within the world of the senses
      the revealed Cosmic Word is speaking,
      Would I but lead this Word into my soul.
      Oh human, fill the depths of your spirit
      with the wideness of My world.
      One day you will find Me in yourself.

      - translation by Dennis Klocek.
      ____________________

      I may now lead the Cosmic Word
      through the gateways of my senses
      into the foundations of my soul.
      It speaks:

      "Let my cosmic majesty
      fill the depths of your spirit
      so that one day soon
      you may discover
      myself in you."

      * translation by Tom Mellett.
      ____________________

      Thus speaks the cosmic Word
      That I by grace through senses' portals
      Have led into my innermost soul:
      Imbue your spirit depths
      With my wide world horizons
      To find in future time myself in you.

      * translation by Ruth and Hans Pusch
      ___________________

      Es spricht das Weltenwort,
      Das ich durch Sinnestore
      In Seelengründe durfte führen:
      Erfülle deine Geistestiefen
      Mit meinen Weltenweiten,
      Zu finden einstens mich in dir.

      * original German by Rudolf Steiner.
      ____________________

      It speaks, the Word of Worlds
      that I through doors of sense
      had leave to introduce into my soul:
      `Brim thou thy spirit's deep
      with my World-wide --
      in time thou shall discover Me in thee.'

      The Year Participated
      translation by Owen Barfield

      ______________________________

      About the Calendar of the Soul - by Rudolf Steiner

      The year has a life of its own, and the human soul can share in that life and become part of it. In listening week by week to the changing language of the year, the soul will find a way to discover also its own nature; it will realize how forces are stirring within its being and giving it new life and strength. Such forces are awakened if one develops a profound sympathy with the course of the year and all the meaning it brings to the changing world. Only through such sympathy can the soul become aware of the fine but significant threads that bind it to the world into which it is born.
      In this Calendar the verse given for each week is intended to help the soul into an experience of that week as part of the life of the whole year. The Calendar is designed to express all that echoes in the soul when it unites itself with that life. It aims at creating a healthy feeling of at-one-ness with the goings–on of nature, and consequently a strong self-discovery, in the belief that to share in the yearly movement of the world, in the manner exemplified in these verses, is something for which the human soul has a deep longing, if only it understands its own nature.

      * PREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION (1918).

      History of the Calendar of the Soul Verses

      The first limited edition of The Calendar of the Soul Verses was published in March 1912 as part of a calendar, never to be reissued. Imma von Eckhardstein illustrated the calendar, following Steiner’s indications, mainly of the twelve zodiacal images. In 1918, the verses of the Calendar of the Soul were distributed along with a short introduction  by Rudolf Steiner, was packaged together with Waldorf Astoria cigarettes to reach German soldiers struggling at the end of World War I. This was part of a project, initialized by Emil Molt, the owner of the Waldorf Astoria Cigaretten Gesellschaft, which also evolved into a publication of the verses as an insert in a few Herman Hesse editions reaching German prisoners of war.

      "You will find meditative verses for the individual weeks of the year. You should take these meditations quite particularly into your hearts, for they contain what can make the soul alive and what really corresponds
      to a living relationship of the soul forces to the forces of the macrocosm." - Rudolf Steiner

      About the 'flowing nature' of the German version
      of the Calendar of the Soul
      - by John Riedel

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)