31057Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] food for thought about Iraq

  • Frank Smith
    Apr 2, 2007
      --- Tarjei Straume <straume@...> wrote:

      > There's an awful lot of excellent stuff in The
      > New Yorker -- http://www.newyorker.com/ I began
      > subscribing to the online version because Seymour
      > Hersh was writing in it. But my oh my, there are
      > so many other excellent journalists there too, like
      > George Packer.

      This was written by LeCarre in Feb. or March 2003.
      http://southerncrossreview.org/24/lecarre.htm - I
      forget where originally, probably some Brit media.
      Frank

      http://www.metacritic.com/books/authors/packergeorge/assassinsgate

      http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/03/26/070326fa_fact_packer

      http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/20/1443225&mode=thread&tid=25

      <http://www.sirnosir.com/12_minute.html>http://www.sirnosir.com/12_minute.html

> [...]
      > There were two questions and answers that really
      > hit home with me (the first and the last):

      > I very much enjoyed this piece, because it seems
      > to fit with the thoughts you expressed in your
      > book “The Assassins’ Gate,” which I read with
      > great interest. One lingering quibble is that
      > your sense of liberal righteousness strikes me as
      > the “milk-and-water” variety that Theodore
      > Roosevelt warned against. Is it tough enough to
      > withstand this ordeal in Mesopotamia?
      > Brian Stewart
      > Bloomington, Ind.
      >
      > You are referring to Roosevelt’s jab at Woodrow
      > Wilson in the years before America entered the
      > First World War: “A milk-and-water righteousness
      > unbacked by force to the full is as wicked as and
      > even more mischievous than force divorced from
      > righteousness.” No one wants to come out in
      > support of either righteousness or watery milk (I
      > know I don’t), but, unfortunately, Roosevelt’s
      > cult of force doesn’t answer the hardest
      > questions of foreign policy, either. When Wilson
      > added some steel to his idealism and, as
      > Roosevelt had been urging, brought America into
      > the Great War, his decision ended in a bitter
      > peace in Europe, a period of reaction in America,
      > Wilson’s political and personal self-destruction,
      > and the groundwork for the next world war. For
      > several years, I have thought that the Iraq War,
      > in its moral atmosphere, more closely resembles
      > the First World War than it does either the
      > Second World War or Vietnam. And its legacy might
      > be similar. Neither idealism nor toughness has
      > withstood the ordeal in Mesopotamia. The lesson
      > is not to embrace one or the other; it’s to combine
      > them with wisdom.
      >
      > As I read your article, I got a sickening feeling
      > that we have been here before. Do you know if
      > many Vietnamese felt the same way as these Iraqi
      > translators and others whom we employed and then
      > abandoned?
      > Thomas B. Jones
      > Rochester, N.Y.
      >
      > I’ve read and heard that many Vietnamese felt
      > abandoned at the end of the Vietnam War­I highly
      > recommend Frank Snepp’s book “Decent Interval,”
      > about the last days of the Americans in Saigon.
      > But, in comparison with Iraq, America acquitted
      > itself with a measure of honor by evacuating and
      > resettling its Vietnamese friends in the United
      > States­a hundred and forty thousand of them by
      > the end of 1975. Compare that to the several
      > hundred Iraqis­almost all of them refugees from
      > the Saddam era­who have been allowed to immigrate
      > to the United States over the past few years. The
      > difference is that Gerald Ford, knowing that
      > Vietnam was lost, was politically able to bring
      > refugees here in large numbers and felt morally
      > compelled to do so. George W. Bush has not said
      > anything about Iraqi refugees, probably because
      > they represent a political embarrassment, and the
      > rest of the government has been extremely
      > sluggish in addressing what is now a crisis.

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org

      Get your own web address.