30931Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Roots of terrorism

  • Tarjei Straume
    Mar 5, 2007
      Keith wrote:

      This US policy seems to reflect something very similar to what was said by Churchill in the 1920s regarding the British Empire:

      "Churchill saw enemies in India and Egypt, as well as Turkey and Mesopotamia: "When we see all these movements from so many different quarters springing up simultaneously, does it not look as though there is a dead set being made against the British Empire?

      It is becoming increasingly clear that all these factions are in touch with one another, and that they are acting in concert. In fact, there is developing a world-wide conspiracy against our country, designed to deprive us of our place in the world and to rob us of the fruits of victory."

      But, he promised, these enemies would "feel the weight of the British arm. It was strong enough to break the Hindenburg Line, it will be strong enough to defend the main interests of the British people, to carry us through these stormy times into calmer and brighter days.""

      (Source: http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=185 )

      This was Churchill defending the Establishment Status Quo, but he had other qualities beyond being a conservative. I mention it because it seems so reminiscent, maybe spookily so, of what is being said by the latest Empire.

      Chalmers Johnson - Author, scholar, professor of international relations at the University of California, San Diego and also President of the Japan Policy Research Institute - is out with a new book: “Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic.”

      "By the subtitle, I really do mean it. This is not just hype to sell books -- “The Last Days of the American Republic.” I’m here concerned with a very real, concrete problem in political analysis, namely that the political system of the United States today, history tells us, is one of the most unstable combinations there is -- that is, domestic democracy and foreign empire -- that the choices are stark. A nation can be one or the other, a democracy or an imperialist, but it can't be both. If it sticks to imperialism, it will, like the old Roman Republic, on which so much of our system was modeled, like the old Roman Republic, it will lose its democracy to a domestic dictatorship.

      "I’ve spent some time in the book talking about an alternative, namely that of the British Empire after World War II, in which it made the decision, not perfectly executed by any manner of means, but nonetheless made the decision to give up its empire in order to keep its democracy. It became apparent to the British quite late in the game that they could keep the jewel in their crown, India, only at the expense of administrative massacres, of which they had carried them out often in India. In the wake of the war against Nazism, which had just ended, it became, I think, obvious to the British that in order to retain their empire, they would have to become a tyranny, and they, therefore, I believe, properly chose, admirably chose to give up their empire.

      "As I say, they didn't do it perfectly. There were tremendous atavistic fallbacks in the 1950s in the Anglo, French, Israeli attack on Egypt; in the repression of the Kikuyu -- savage repression, really -- in Kenya; and then, of course, the most obvious and weird atavism of them all, Tony Blair and his enthusiasm for renewed British imperialism in Iraq. But nonetheless, it seems to me that the history of Britain is clear that it gave up its empire in order to remain a democracy. I believe this is something we should be discussing very hard in the United States."

      Come to think of it, this Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher seems very interested in reviving the old empire of the Vikings. It wasn't an empire, it was a band of thieves and plunderers and bullies for whom war was heaven, but that's what Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher who posts here wants to reawaken - through Yours Truly of all people.

      I've really tried to understand this guy. He comes back time and time again to explain why the streets of Oslo need cleaning up - and he doesn't mean broom-cleaning but people-cleaning, getting rid of crime. For some reason, crime in Oslo interests Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher more than crime in New York or Chicago, or Tokyo or New Dehli. And I do keep wondering why, especially because he keeps asking me to do something about it, he addresses his complaints about crime in Oslo "to Tarjei" all the time.

      I do know that Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher is very sore about this part of the world not having the death penalty, that our maximum penalty is 21 years in prison. That worries Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher tremendously, keeping him awake at night (which explains why he wants me to wake up - to keep him company). So he keeps asking me to do something about sdtreet crime in Oslo, by running for public office and proposing more police state tactics, I assume.

      I also know that Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher is worried about the very existence of Muslims, any Muslims, and especially Scandinavian Muslims, so he keeps complaining to me about them. "To Tarjei" he writes every now and then. (He himself doesn't have a name.) That's sweet. I guess he wants me to run for office and get rid of the Nobel Peace Committee to replace it with the Nobel War Committee which would pick Nobel War Prize nominees, which would be more to his liking, and he could sleep better. I think he's worried about the Nobel Peace Prize going to one Muslim after another like it's been doing the last few years, and he wants me to go out and stop it. Those Nobel Peace prizes seem to embarrass Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher, because  according to his bigoted ideology, Muslims are supposed to be terrorists or rapists or both, not Peace Prize laureates. Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher wants us to have a Nobel War Prize instead, to give to people like Ronny Rummy.

      It's not easy to guess what Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher wants, because all he does is copy and paste something or other from time to time, seemingly without motive, rhyme, or reason. So we have to guess. And my guess is that he wants us to be happy, and in order to be happy, we need to realize that happiness is a warm gun. So I'm curiuos about Mr Light, Love, Wisdom, and Compassion Searcher's NRA membership, how often he practices his shooting, if he knows how to crack skulls with a baseball bat and so on. He wants me to go out there and crack some skulls in the streets of Oslo, but is he setting a good example, is he a proper role model to be emulated? Impossible to tell, because he won't even tell us who he is, even after all these years.

      Happiness Is A Warm Gun

      (The Beatles)

      She's not a girl who misses much
      do do do do do do, oh yeah

      She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand like a lizard on a window pane.
      The man in the crowd with the multi-colored mirrors on his hobnail boots.
      Lying with his eyes while his hands are busy working overtime.
      A soap impression of his wife which he ate and donated to the National Trust.

      I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
      down to the bits that I left uptown
      I need a fix 'cause I'm going down

      Mother Superior jump the gun
      Mother Superior jump the gun
      Mother Superior jump the gun
      Mother Superior jump the gun

      Happiness is a warm gun (bang bang shoot shoot)
      Happiness is a warm gun, mama (bang bang shoot shoot)
      When I hold you in my arms (oh, yeah)
      And I feel my finger on your trigger (oh, yeah)
      I know nobody can do me no harm (oh, yeah)
      Because, (happiness) is a warm gun, mama (bang bang shoot shoot)
      Happiness is a warm gun, yes it is (bang bang shoot shoot)

      Happiness is a warm, yes it is, gun
      Happiness (bang bang shoot shoot)

      Well don't you know that happiness (happiness) is a warm gun, (is a warm gun, yeah).

      (1968 Northern Songs, Ltd.)

      Sweet dreams as always,