28615Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: sorry folks, but have to repeat myself once again

  • Joel Wendt
    Aug 2, 2006
      Let us review this thread...

      First Steve wrote: "Then how should we approach the advancement of
      knowledge without starting with "Steiner said" over and over in the
      attempt to cultivate this undeniably new knowledge?"

      point one...
      To which I replied with a lot of stuff about something read not being
      knowledge, and basically questioning the basis for relying on Steiner as
      an authority, something Steiner asked us many times not to do. [We
      should also keep in mind prior posts of mine, suggesting that a
      distinction needs to be made between knowledge and understanding,
      wherein to which Steve replied he'd rather have understanding.]

      So to my remarks about knowledge and using Steiner as an authority,
      Steve then replied: "I do not insist that anyone believe what Steiner
      said, but it makes for a good start. And the lectures were meant to be
      the legacy left for us to work with in the form of schools that have yet
      to be started on the adult level, and may now be too late for this to

      So I then asked him what he (Steve) meant by legacy and schools and the
      rest, and once more got a reference to "Steiner said" (Steve wrote):
      "Have you ever read the chapter entitled: The Character of Occult
      Science, from the book, "Outline of Occult Science"?"

      Then I asked, as noted below, how this answered any of my questions, and
      then later get the whole Chapter and verse of Steiner from Occult Science.

      So, in defense of the significance of relying on authority, which
      Steiner asked us not to do (see point one above), we rely on the
      authority of Steiner in his preface from Occult Science wherein he makes
      a couple of references to understanding and comprehension as the effect
      of OS, but not to knowledge, the subject of all his epistemological works.

      Is your brain spinning in circles yet? If someone can find some logic
      in this whole thread, please let me know.

      Steve Hale wrote:

      > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:anthroposophy_tomorrow%40yahoogroups.com>, Joel Wendt
      > <hermit@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > So, Steve, in answers to my questions to you, you respond by quoting
      > the
      > > anthroposophical bible (occult science) at me.
      > >
      > > how is this not anthroposophical fundamentalism? for all your
      > special
      > > being touched by the divine stuff, don't you have anything to say for
      > > yourself?
      > >
      > > joel
      > >
      > Well Joel, let's read Rudolf Steiner's last preface to this book
      > together. - Steve
      > <snip> long quote of Steiner
      > .
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic