25465Re: "On the 'anthroposophy and racism' hoax"

    May 2, 2006
      Mike H wrote to Theodor:

      > Well Theodore, I think I can muster up some empathy for your
      > rather "benign" attitude toward Her Doctor.

      Theodor's critique of the Doctor doesn't look very benign to me. He
      regards Steiner's extraordinary faculties, that were acquired with
      tremendous labor and intense struggle, as a mental illness, a
      pathology.

      There is, however, something very important for us to learn from this,
      I think. Theodor discards all attacks against Steiner's personal moral
      character and gets right to the very heart of the *real* objection
      against anthroposophy, an objection that has been widespread from the
      beginning but rarely voiced because one tends to be too respectful and
      considerate to say these things. It is the position held by all those
      who cling to the materialistic superstition based upon natural science
      alone. Religions and philosophies in general do not threaten this
      position because they are based upon blind faith and abstract
      speculations, but spirituality grounded in true scientific
      understanding arising from a waterproof epistemology fit for future
      centuries can make some people nervous if they are not 100 per cent
      convinced of their own materialistic world view. This is why I find it
      so interesting that Theodor emphasizes his conviction, that he is
      totally persuaded by the materialistic option. If he had not had this
      conviction, he would not have dared to study anthroposophy at all, or
      read anthroposophical email forums, without buying into those attacks
      against Steiner's ethics.

      Those who attack Steiner's personal character use racism and similar
      smears as excuses to dismiss his Weltanhschauung. By construing
      anthroposophy as something immoral and reprehensible, the lure of the
      epistemology itself is reduced and rendered harmless. I believe
      Theodor mentioned something like this in one of his posts.

      Cheers,