25449Steiner on Steiner

  • Steve Hale
    May 1, 2006
      Notes By Rudolf Steiner written for Edouard Schure in Barr, Alsace,
      September 1907

      My attention was drawn to Kant at an early stage. At fifteen and
      sixteen I studied Kant intensively, and before going on to college
      in Vienna I had an intense interest in Kant's early nineteenth
      century orthodox followers, who have been completely forgotten by
      official historians of thought in Germany and are rarely mentioned.
      In addition, I immersed myself in Fichte and Schelling. During this
      period – and this is already due to external spiritual influences –
      I gained complete understanding of the concept of time. This
      knowledge was in no way connected with my studies and was guided
      totally by the spiritual life. I understood that there is a
      regressing evolution, the occult-astral, which interferes with the
      progressing one. This knowledge is the precondition of spiritual
      clairvoyance.
      Then came acquaintance with the agent of the M. [the Master].
      Then intensive study of Hegel.
      Then the study of modern philosophy as it developed
      from the 1850s onward in Germany, particularly the so-called
      Theory of Knowledge with all its various branches.

      My boyhood passed in such a way that, although no one consciously
      planned it, I never met anyone who was superstitious. If I did hear
      anyone speak of superstitious things, the emphasis was always
      strongly on their rejection. Although I became familiar with church
      worship, in that I took part in it as a so-called altar-boy, nowhere
      did I meet true piety and religiosity, not even among the priests
      whom I knew. On the contrary, I continuously saw certain negative
      traits of the Catholic clergy.

      I did not meet the M. [the Master] immediately, but first an
      emissary who was completely initiated into the secrets of the plants
      and their effects, and into their connection with the cosmos and
      human nature. Contact with the spirits of nature was something self-
      evident for him, about which he talked without enthusiasm, but he
      aroused enthusiasm all the more.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic