2507Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Rudolf Hess

  • at@ael...
    Feb 26, 2004
      Peter Staudenmaier:
      "Various observers report that Hess structured his diet and his health care around anthroposophist beliefs (see Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel, Hess: A Biography pp. 64-66; ..."

      Rudolf Steiner's name is not mentioned at all in this biography. Nor does the word "anthroposophy" appear in the pages you have cited. The pages discuss the fact that Hess was particular about his diet, and like Hitler was a vegetarian, teetotaler and non-smoker. The closest even a remote mention of anthroposophy is the statement by Speer cited on page 65 that "Hess argued stubbornly trying to explain to Hitler that his [vegetarian] food should contain certain biologically dynamic components." This could support the well known fact that Hess was interested in the anthroposophical version of organic farming. It does not, to my mind, establish that Hess ever read a word of Steiner. Hess' surrounding himself with "clairvoyants and astrologers" is mentioned, as well has his interest in "horoscopes and the semi-occult" and his personal fortune-teller.

      Peter Staudenmaier:
      Albert Speer, Errinerungen pp. 133-134;

      Is probably the source of the quote in Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel.

      Peter Staudenmaier:
      "Anna Bramwell writes that Â“Hess was a follower of Rudolf Steiner” (Bramwell, Ecology in the 20th Century p. 197)."

      I've checked this reference too. Bramwell makes her statement without any citations whatsoever, so the reader really has no clue how she came to this conclusion.

      Peter Staudenmaier:
      "There are several other references of this sort in the literature."

      If they are all of similar quality, they don't really establish much.

      To me, to be a "follower of Steiner" requires an actual study of Steiner's works. It is evidence of this that I am looking for. Repeated references to the "fact" that Steiner was a "follower of Steiner" do not establish anything. Just because something is repeated, even frequently, does not make it true.

      Daniel Hindes

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic