23979Re: Celebrating RS Death Day (Enneagram)

  • isenhart7
    Apr 6, 2006
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
      "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...> wrote:

      > What a refreshing breath of fresh air. Christ walking on water,
      > etheric or otherwise, what lame ass research about the frozen
      seas,
      > it was brought up on this list or another long ago and frozen
      water
      > was postulated by some dim wit, I forget who. Now comes this,
      Steve
      > called it dead on, just cheap crappy science to fill in the
      deadness
      > of those who don't understand why they are numb. I keep
      experiencing
      > the shock of the numbness for those who actually feel a hollow
      that
      > something else should be there, something vast and
      penetrating,
      > Grail Science, pulsing in culture and full of life. And I can
      > experience the numbness the painful, 'whatever' numbness
      that it
      > isn't there and it can't be found and they don't have a clue how
      > navigate their thoughts towards it. Grants and money to say
      any kind
      > of human nonsense because Spiritual Science aka Miracle
      isn't really
      > possible. Humans are so deeply in the hole that looking down
      is like
      > looking up.

      Look's like they caught a big fish-or to quote the professor-a Holy
      Cow!-Val

      http:www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/science/05cnd-fossil.html?ex
      =1301889600&en=43e5c9ecb1dd0cd6&ei=5090&partner=rssu
      serland&emc=rss

      By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD
      Published: April 5, 2006

      Scientists have discovered fossils of a 375 million-year-old fish,
      a large scaly creature not seen before, that they say is a
      long-sought "missing link" in the evolution of some fishes from
      water to a life walking on four limbs on land.

      University of Chicago
      A model of the 375 million-year-old fish, which exhibits changes
      that anticipate the emergence of land animals.

      In addition to confirming elements of a major transition in
      evolution, the fossils are widely seen by scientists as a powerful
      rebuttal to religious creationists, who hold a literal biblical view
      on the origins and development of life.

      Several well-preserved skeletons of the fossil fish were
      uncovered in sediments of former stream beds in the Canadian
      Arctic, 600 miles from the North Pole, it is being reported on
      Thursday in the journal Nature. The skeletons have the fins and
      scales and other attributes of a giant fish, four to nine feet long.

      But on closer examination, scientists found telling anatomical
      traits of a transitional creature, a fish that is still a fish but
      exhibiting changes that anticipate the emergence of land
      animals — a predecessor thus of amphibians, reptiles and
      dinosaurs, mammals and eventually humans.

      The scientists described evidence in the forward fins of limbs in
      the making. There are the beginnings of digits, proto-wrists,
      elbows and shoulders. The fish also had a flat skull resembling
      a crocodile's, a neck, ribs and other parts that were similar to
      four-legged land animals known as tetrapods.

      The discovering scientists called the fossils the most
      compelling examples yet of an animal that was at the cusp of the
      fish-tetrapod transition. The fish has been named Tiktaalik
      roseae, at the suggestion of elders of Canada's Nunavut
      Territory. Tiktaalik (pronounced tic-TAH-lick) means "large
      shallow water fish."

      In two reports in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature, the
      science team led by Neil H. Shubin of the University of Chicago
      wrote, "The origin of limbs probably involved the elaboration and
      proliferation of features already present in the fins of fish such as
      Tiktaalik."

      Dr. Shubin, an evolutionary biologist, let himself go in an
      interview. "It's a really amazing remarkable intermediate fossil —
      it's like, holy cow," he enthused.

      Two other paleontologists, commenting on the find in a separate
      article in the journal, said that a few other transitional fish had
      been previously discovered from approximately the same Late
      Devonian time period, 385 million to 359 million years ago. But
      Tiktaalik is so clearly an intermediate "link between fishes and
      land vertebrates," they said, that it "might in time become as
      much an evolutionary icon as the proto-bird Archaeopteryx,"
      which bridged the gap between reptiles, probably dinosaurs,
      and today's birds.

      The writers, Erik Ahlberg of Uppsala University in Sweden and
      Jennifer A. Clack of the University of Cambridge in England, are
      often viewed as rivals to Dr. Shubin's team in the search for
      intermediate species in the evolution from fish to the first
      animals to colonize land.

      In a statement by the Science Museum of London, where casts
      of the fossils will be on view, Dr. Clack said the fish "confirms
      everything we thought and also tells us about the order in which
      certain changes were made."

      H. Richard Lane, director of paleobiology at the National Science
      Foundation, said in a statement, "These exciting discoveries are
      providing fossil 'Rosetta Stones' for a deeper understanding of
      this evolutionary milestone — fish to land-roaming tetrapods."

      The science foundation and the National Geographic Society
      were among the financial supporters of the research. Besides
      Dr. Shubin, the principal discoverers were Edward B. Daeschler
      of the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and Farish A.
      Jenkins Jr., a Harvard evolutionary biologist.

      Michael J. Novacek, a paleontologist at the American Museum of
      Natural History in Manhattan, who was not involved in the
      research, said: "Based on what we already know, we have a very
      strong reason to think tetrapods evolved from lineages of fishes.
      This may be a critical phase in that transition that we haven't had
      before. A good fossil cuts through a lot of scientific argument."

      While Dr. Shubin's team played down the fossil's significance in
      the raging debate over Darwinian theory, which is opposed
      mainly by some conservative Christians in the United States,
      other scientists were not so reticent. They said this should
      undercut the creationists' argument that there is no evidence in
      the fossil record of one kind of creature becoming another kind.

      One creationist Web site (emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/evid1.htm)
      declares that "there are no transitional forms," adding: "For
      example, not a single fossil with part fins part feet has been
      found. And this is true between every major plant and animal
      kind."
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic