20805Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: I love a mystery

  • Frank Smith
    Nov 2, 2005
      "...'A snapper-up of unconsidered trifles' - that is
      Autolycus in The Winter's Tale; it is also Shakespeare
      and, indeed, any writer of drama or narrative fiction.
      The writer needs a scrap of psycho-analytical
      terminology: he does not have to read the whole of
      Freud; he merely has to filch something from a
      paperback glossary or a learned man met on a bus. He
      needs to know somethjing about Madagasgar of Cipango,
      so he asks a sailor who has been there. You may know
      the fiction writer by his library, whose contents
      flatter neither the eye nor the owner's capacity for
      systematic reading. Instead of phalanges of rich
      uniform bindings, there are old racing guides,
      dog-eared astrological almanacs, comic periodicals.
      second-hand dictionaries, un-scholarly history books,
      notebooks full of odd facts, picked up in Lying-in
      hospitas or taxidermist's shops. When Shakespeare
      achieved a library, if he ever did, we can be sure it
      was not like Bacon's..." to be continued.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/rAWabB/gYnLAA/i1hLAA/I3dslB/TM

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic