16058Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: School of Spiritual Science special studies

  • Tarjei Straume
    May 5, 2005
      At 09:23 05.05.2005, Bradford wrote:

      >My friend Daniel Ellsberg once said that what's good about the American
      >people is that you have to lie to them. What's bad about Americans is that
      >it's so easy to do."

      Wow, you know Daniel Ellsberg? The story behind the publishing of the
      Pentagon Papers in 1972 and the courtoom circus that ensued, resulting in a
      major victory for freedom of the press against the Nixon administration, is
      one of the most fascinating - and bizarre - episodes in modern history!

      The way I understand it, Ellsberg was in Vietnam, where he stumbled scross
      the Penatgon Papers and sent them to the Washington Post. Catherine Graham,
      the owner of Washingrton Post (as well as Newsweek Magazine) decided
      together with the owners and editors of New York Times, to publish the
      Pentagon Papers, which were very damaging for Pentagon credibility,
      exposing their disinformation and deception of the public in broad daylight.

      So Chuck Colson, known in those days as "Nixon's hatchet man" before he
      became a born-again Christian, and White House Chief of Staff (?) Bob
      Haldeman, ordered a break-in into Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist's office
      in order to find something in those files that might discredit the messenger.

      One hell of a story. But then again, in July 2001 a very elderly but still
      going strong Catherine Graham died suddenly by some kind of accident; some
      object fell in her head on the street or something. Considering the fact
      that Mrs. Graham's death happened only two months before September 11, many
      Americans considered her death symbolic. She was indeed a champion for the
      First Amendment!

      Cheers,
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic