16047Re: School of Spiritual Science special studies

  • kmlightseeker
    May 5, 2005
      Cutting article...I like it! :)

      Here's what a Blair supporter said recently in an article (but who
      also makes some good points):

      "Tories gamble Churchillian legacy on race card
      May 5, 2005

      As in Australia, moral integrity is risked in Britain for electoral
      opportunism, writes Paul Keating.

      It has been one of the conundrums of Australian public life that, as
      Labor leader and former prime minister, I drew much inspiration from a
      British Conservative leader, Winston Churchill, and often said so.

      He sometimes expressed views on economic and social issues I would not
      endorse, but his moral clarity was a lesson to us all. It was that
      which informed his unshakable belief that Hitler was a psychopath, a
      racist and a criminal and that, unlike the view of most of the upper
      class in Britain at the time, Hitler could not be dealt with.

      Churchill bequeathed to his party a mantle of moral rectitude that
      remains to this day. All the greater the pity that its current leader
      fails to understand the importance of this inheritance - and is even
      prepared to shop and trade it.

      All the people who dabble in race, whether it be the Hitlers at the
      hard end or the Hansons in Australia on the soft end, have one subject
      in common - citizenship. And these days, for citizenship read
      migration. They seek to construct parochial and arbitrary distinctions
      between the civic and the human community. So some of us have a right
      to enjoy the sovereign benefits of security, sustenance and belonging
      while others are wayfarers and itinerants who are not entitled to
      inclusion with us.

      These appeals more often than not find a measure of uncritical
      acceptance in countries that formerly have been monocultures. But only
      the shabbiest of political figures has any truck with this stuff.

      Britain is a great state because it has always had solid values and
      has been prepared to fight for them. How wrong it is for Michael
      Howard's Conservative Party to tread the slippery and sleazy track of
      race to ingratiate themselves with that proportion of the electorate
      always susceptible to this malignant appeal.

      A national leader should always be searching for the threads of gold
      that run through a society, that lift us up and bind us together. The
      Liberal Party, Australia's Tory equivalent, has in recent years made
      an art form of the whispered word "race".

      In 2001, Prime Minister John Howard ran a despicable election campaign
      against asylum seekers. The campaign was successful but Australia was
      weakened by it. Its moral compass now lacks the equilibrium it had and
      the underlying compassion has been compromised.

      The Australian Tories' agents are now in Britain. The chief operator,
      Lynton Crosby, calls it "guerilla warfare" or "below-the-line
      campaigning". Michael Howard will know none of this, of course; he
      will be, like his namesake in Australia, hearing no evil and seeing no
      evil.

      But in his paltry opportunism, whether he understands it or not, he
      will be putting at risk his country's integrity. Churchill would
      regard the tactic as anathema and against every value he fought for.

      The economically strong country that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have
      created has at its core a moral basis from which it derives its energy
      and purpose.

      People cannot have the wealth and the jobs while at the same time
      laying waste to the human spirit. The beating heart of the country has
      to be kept in good fettle.

      Michael Howard should be mature enough and decent enough, even at this
      late stage, to pull the rein on this expedient search for the
      dark-hearted.
      [in italics:]
      Paul Keating is a former Australian prime minister. This article first
      appeared in The Guardian."

      (from: "The Age" newspaper <
      http://www.theage.com.au/news/Opinion/Tories-gamble-Churchillian-legacy-on-race-card/2005/05/04/1115092560718.html?oneclick=true
      >)

      Thanks,

      Keith

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66" wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > I watched the machinery called Tony Blair up close as a Yankee
      > in King Blair's court (first as an advisor on the inside, then as a
      > journalist also on the inside, but with a hidden tape recorder).
      >
      > And it was eerie. Because what I saw was a man who, while
      > Britain's erstwhile leader, scorns his own country. That is, he
      > scorns the union workers that wanted to keep filthy coal mines open;
      > he scorns the nostalgic blue-haired ladies who wanted to keep the
      > Queen's snout on their nation's currency; he scorns his nation of
      > maddeningly inefficient little shops on the high street, of subjects
      > snoozy with welfare state comforts and fearful of the wonders of
      > cheap labor available in far-off locales.
      >
      > Blair looks longingly at America, land of the hard-charging
      > capitalist cowboy, of entrepreneurs with big-box retail discount
      > stores, Silicon Valley start-ups and Asian out-sourcing.
      >
      > Blair doesn't want to be Prime Minister. He wants to be governor
      > in London of America's 51st state.
      >
      > Britons know this. They feel deeply that their main man doesn't
      > like the Britain he has. And that is why the average punter in the
      > pub longs to be led by that most English of British politicians -
      > who is not English at all - Gordon Brown, the Scotland-born
      > Chancellor of the Exchequer.
      >
      > And so they vote for their local Labour MP on that party's
      > quietly whispered promise that, shortly after the election, Gordon
      > Brown, defender of the old welfare state, union rights, and a
      > gentleman unlikely to invade forgotten remnants of the empire, will,
      > on a vote of his parliamentary confreres, take the reins of
      > government in his benign and prudent hands.
      >
      > As New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman says, Tony Blair is
      > a man of principle. So was the Ayatolla Khomeini. Both were willing
      > to have others pay any price for their beliefs.
      >
      > Luckily for Britain, Chancellor Brown won't let Blair put his
      > fanatic hands on the kingdom's cash or coinage. And herein is
      > another difference betwixt the US and UK. In America, the Treasury
      > Secretary is little more than the President's factotum. In Britain,
      > the Chancellor holds the nation's purse. Brown brilliantly controls
      > Britain's spending, taxing and currency. For example, despite Tony's
      > pleas, Brown presciently nixed England dumping the pound coin for
      > the euro.
      >
      > And thus Brown, not Blair, has earned his nation's gratitude for
      > the island's steady recovery from Thatcherite punishments while,
      > across The Pond, real wages in Bush's America are falling.
      >
      > Blair will hold onto office - for now - due only to a sly
      > campaign that relies on the public's accepting on faith that, sooner
      > rather than later after the vote on Thursday, Blair will do the
      > honorable thing and end his own political life, leaving the British-
      > to-the-bone Brown to inherit the parliamentary throne. Tony's
      > political corpse can then be mailed to Texas - wrapped in an
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic