15887Re: Pete Diana phenomena

  • winters_diana
    May 3, 2005
      Tarjei:
      >From what I remember reading about MBE was that she claimed all
      >illnesses are illusions, so that if you just refuse to recognize an
      >ailment as something real, it will evaporate and you'll be healthy.
      >Anything from common cold to cancer, including smallpox for that
      >matter, just snap your fingers in faith and it disappears.

      Frank:

      >Oversimplified, Tarjei.

      Not much oversimplified. They believe matter does not exist. Matter
      is illusion, thus all physical ailments are illusion. To be healed is
      a matter of "knowing the truth." If you get good at this, you should
      theoretically to be able to do it by snapping your fingers.

      They aren't exactly consistent about it, though. Christian Scientists
      avoid all drugs and alcohol and can't take *any* medication. (No,
      they don't vaccinate.) You can't take so much as an aspirin for a
      headache without it being a frigging spiritual crisis. (Do I have
      some bitterness <G>). However, they do see dentists, wear eyeglasses
      and get routine obstetric care, have babies in hospital, and report
      promptly to the emergency room with broken bones.

      >The Christian Scientists have trained "practitioners" who visit sick
      >people in order to show them how to believe that their problems are
      >only in the mind - and it often works.

      Yes - testimony to these healings are a central part of CS. And then
      again, you can be lying on the table in the emergency room turning
      green, with the doctor telling you you will die if you don't have
      your ruptured appendix taken out, and your wife screaming at you, and
      the local Christian Science practitioner helping you to "know the
      truth," and you won't live unless you give in at the last minute and
      let the doctors ("materialists," nearly as dreaded an epithet in
      Christian Science as in anthroposophy) work their evil on you. (This
      happened to my father.)

      >"Mind" is a very important word in C.S. I once saw a translation of
      >their bible (Science and Health....no, I forget it's name, but it's
      >quite interesting)

      Yes, that's it - "Science and Health With Key to the Scriptures" is
      Mary Baker Eddy's key work; it's commentary on the Bible, and some
      other stuff too. Interesting, yes. It's not "their Bible" strictly
      speaking, unless you mean that in the colloquial sense (the way I say
      Steiner is your bible, for instance).

      I will write more about it later. Christian Science is similar in
      some ways to anthroposophy (both coming out of 19th century
      spiritualism) and quite dissimilar in others. For instance, they are
      appalled by the notion of reincarnation; they consider it a
      materialist error. (And "error" is a very loaded word in CS.)
      Anthroposophy is a much more sophisticated doctrine. Christian
      Science is very dull in comparison, no cosmology, no spiritual
      hierarchies etc., and really none of the occult stuff, unless you
      count the belief in "malicious animal magnetism," which is sort of a
      cross between hypnotism and a hex and (if periodicals I perused in my
      father's study last time I was home are any indication) a concept
      they still take very seriously.
      Diana
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic