13382Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] ok, along with all the other reads given on this list....

  • Tarjei Straume
    Mar 1, 2005
      At 21:56 01.03.2005, Heather wrote:

      >As in PoF, I am full of naive realism and am not even knowing when, or
      >just what I put between myself and the world I am in, the world I view.
      >Never knowing the 'true nature' of thinking, the true nature of thinking.

      Wait a minute. You're full of naive realism as in PoF? I did a double take
      when I saw that and just had to look up the following:

      "The naïve man, who acknowledges as real only what he can see with his eyes
      and grasp with his hands, requires for his moral life, also, a basis for
      action that shall be perceptible to the senses. He requires someone or
      something to impart the basis for his action to him in a way that his
      senses can understand. He is ready to allow this basis for action to be
      dictated to him as commandments by any man whom he considers wiser or more
      powerful than himself, or whom he acknowledges for some other reason to be
      a power over him. In this way there arise, as moral principles, the
      authority of family, state, society, church and God, as previously
      described. A man who is very narrow minded still puts his faith in some one
      person; the more advanced man allows his moral conduct to be dictated by a
      majority (state, society). It is always on perceptible powers that he
      builds. The man who awakens at last to the conviction that basically these
      powers are human beings as weak as himself, seeks guidance from a higher
      power, from a Divine Being, whom he endows, however, with sense perceptible
      features. He conceives this Being as communicating to him the conceptual
      content of his moral life, again in a perceptible way - whether it be, for
      example, that God appears in the burning bush, or that He moves about among
      men in manifest human shape, and that their ears can hear Him telling them
      what to do and what not to do."
      (- Die Philosophie der Freiheit 1894, GA #4: kap. 10: Freiheitsphilosophie
      und Monismus.)

      Is this you, Heather? Do you require someone or something to impart the
      basis for your action to you in a way that your senses can understand, and
      are you ready to allow this basis for action to be dictated to you as
      commandments by any person whom you consider wiser or more powerful than
      yourself, or whom you acknowledge for some other reason to be a power over
      you? Do you build your moral principles on the authority of family, state,
      society, church and God?