Where is everybody?

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 17, 2003
      Dear Christine,
      When I read your poem 'In the Absence of Men' my heart leapt, not only
      because I recognized and could resonate with what you wrote, but because I
      have felt, forgive me dear chaps, the absence of active woman input on this
      list. I know that there are women who participate without posting, and some
      who post occasionally, but still, for me, there was an imbalance.
      "Where is everybody?" I cannot improve on Harvey's reply - who could? I
      treasure it as ever - I would but add that the lonely road leads event-ually
      to community and real brother-sister-hood, because we leave the old
      groupings for consciousness soul via Mordor, and only deep travail and far
      travel and pain that is way-bread awakes us to the soul hunger of other
      wanderers enough to ask 'Brother, what ails thee?' and to walk awhile
      alongside them in company.
      While there seem to be frighteningly few, we must believe that there are
      enough.
      They are there, often wounded and sore, lopsided perhaps, hippies or
      gypsies, even tramps but with something in their bearing by which we know
      them, vagrants indeed, as we are; estranged. Let us never become a stranger
      to such strangeness. When the sword is pulled from the stone by one with
      authority, who authors the deed, it is done with ease. The stone itself
      alchemically changed, New Jerusalem'd!

      Rudolf Steiner - "As many people as can stand under an apple tree are
      required to meditate if the development of civilization at the end of this
      century is to continue for the good." Written down in the house of Clara
      Michel from 'Rudolf Steiner's Millennium Prophecies' by Heinz Herbert
      Schoffler MD

      While Rudolf Steiner encouraged us into the belly of the beast, nor to
      shrink from what comes towards us from all directions, he was never
      definitive in the sense of coming only and always from one direction. The
      following words come also from the above collection.

      "As a result of the increasing severity of events there will appear so many
      psychiatric illnesses, especially depression, that the mental hospitals will
      overflow. It will become ever more necessary that there is enough courage
      to found monastic (Klosterliche) settlements in the country. This will lead
      to an appreciation of the spiritual and altogether contribute to the
      spiritual life."

      By monasteries, I cannot suppose him to mean old style monasteries, but
      new, even if small, communities based upon spiritual companionship and
      shared purpose. Whether, like me, you live in a city with all the attendant
      madness and mental, spiritual pollution, at odds with virtually everything,
      or in such a community in the country, we can all aspire to a place beneath
      the Apple Tree.

      Rudolf Steiner - We are in a time of extremely serious testing, of which we
      must be more and more conscious.
      Everything evil and everything good come to the light of day in an
      often quite disturbing way - those who at the present time can still
      meditate, strongly influence events. Only the very few have the capacity to
      understand what it means, not to mention the strength to fulfill the task
      that is placed before us. So it is all the more important that the few who
      have the real understanding, employ all their strength with the utmost
      seriousness and highest concentration, indeed with all magic, that they can
      bring forth from the depths of their souls, to work towards and sacrifice
      themselves for it, so that the holy spirit who leads humanity to its future
      development is not completely lost." Words of Rudolf Steiner written down
      by Rector Bartsch, Breslau, again from the above collection.

      Doubtless the 'few' who so influence events are Rudolf Steiner himself and
      fellow initiates and companions, but we have also to assume that it is each
      one of us who must be meditant and white magician. We cannot afford to think
      otherwise!
      My sincere thanks to all contributors on this list, especially for the
      richness and power of poetry and language.
      Jan
    • golden3000997@cs.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 17, 2003
        Dearest Jan,

        I haven't even responded to your first loving response to me and some of the
        conversations that I have been involved in here. I just came home from seeing
        "The Return of the King". Every muscle in my body and head hurts from the
        tension of going through it all. I had a rather amazing conversation with the
        fellow who sat next to me before the movie started, by the way.

        I just came home and I am loop-playing "May It Be" from "The Fellowship of
        the Ring". I haven't finished downloading the music from "The Two Towers" and
        must work madly to get that and ROTK.

        I came in and turned on my "little demon", my little Gollum of a computer and
        hoped to find something to sooth my body, mind, heart and soul and I found
        you waiting for me! Out of the thousands of knowings and layers of reality that
        lives in this story, one thing is so outstanding and speaks to what you have
        given me about the Apple Tree. That is how we have to come in a multitude of
        shapes and forms, different paths lead us to and fro. We have to learn to
        recognize each other, no matter what form we take, even the forms of our thinking.
        We have to look for the common thread and not be sidetracked by the
        differences. What good is it to argue about the Saturn or Sun mysteries or whether we are
        Artistotelean or Platonic? What does it matter if one is a dwarf, an elf, a
        man or a hobbit? We all have a role to play, a task to accomplish and a burden
        to bear. Who knows which of us will stand at the mouth of the fire? Tonight
        Gimli the Dwarf turned to Legolas the Elf and said "I never thought that when
        the end came, it would be with an Elf" and Legolas replied, "How about with a
        friend, then?"

        This is what I have said before about Lievegood's book Toward the 21st
        Century - Doing the Good. What I took from that reading is that it is almost useless
        to try to figure out what is "right" because the good arises from what we do
        - and we may not and mostly do not know if what we do is good until we have
        done it.

        I think you realize that "In the Absence of Men" was not a permanent
        condition, just a respite in my own personal emotional battles. Trying to anchor my
        sense of self that so easily slips away.

        Jan, I know that I am speaking with you in an open space where others may
        hear. But this is for Harvey, Danny, Mike and all, too, even though it is a
        secret. : ) I want to share something I have never spoken to another person. This
        is my deepest prayer, the prayer that I have prayed in my most extremely
        anguished moments. I don't think this prayer has been answered yet and I fear the
        day when it is answered, because that day will be the most difficult of all yet
        I can't help praying it. This then, is my prayer, "Please God, don't waste
        me!" Understand, please understand, it is not arrogance. It comes from knowing
        that I have been given certain gifts and asking "what are they for?" Although
        we come here again and again, we never come with quite the same bundle of gifts
        and abilities. "You only live once." is true. We only live once as we are
        right now. We will be something or someone else another day. But today, this is
        who we are. So please, God, don't let it go to waste. Put me where I can be of
        some use. I know He will and that it is there, but I can't see it right now,
        or many other times. I feel lost in the woods.

        May It Be
        Enya
        (The Lord Of The Rings)

        May it be an evening star
        Shines down upon you
        May it be when darkness falls
        Your heart will be true
        You walk a lonely road
        Oh! How far you are from home

        Mornie utulie ([Quenya:] Darkness has come)
        Believe and you will find your way
        Mornie alantie ([Quenya:] Darkness has fallen)
        A promise lives within you now

        May it be the shadow's call
        Will fly away
        May it be your journey on
        To light the day
        When the night is overcome
        You may rise to find the sun

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
          Dear Christine,
          I recognized that your poem spoke of a transience.
          And in the need, for the earth cries out for them, to use your abilities I
          understand exactly what you are articulating, and I know that you have,
          very ably with your gift for words, spoken also for many others. This
          longing to be of real, potent use, to work our gifts and talents right into
          the world fabric for the good, to be Ring Bearer, Sword Wielder in the right
          cause, that of true evolving, is in itself the alchemy that brings about the
          power of enabling. We know that it was for this that we were born.
          The world is stricken, the forces of Luciferic Ahrimanic Asuric powers
          in combination work very powerfully to dis-able and disarm. However, they
          over-reach themselves, as evil always does, being built on shaky foundations
          and the collaborators being unable to trust or support one another.
          (Politics and politicians illustrate this perfectly.) When the trolls argue
          about who gets to eat the little Tailor, he uses his wits to escape. He
          must use his wits, though, which means drawing on Christ, on Christened
          ethers and starry forces, which are really his own resources, because
          nothing other will serve. If Lucifer and Ahriman are left to their own
          devices they will consume and destroy one another in a God Awe-ful battle,
          and a few souls may manage to escape but that is a dreadful outcome and a
          real worst case scenario. Then it may be the Asuric powers who profit, and
          gobble up anything that is left of the Ego.
          The battle of the opposites is terrible. Only threefolding, only balance
          will avail, as we all know.
          So how DO we use our bright shining talents in the service of the world,
          and not stand shamefaced before our Angel and admit that we buried our
          bright talent in the earth and have seen no increase? That etheric holy
          creative gold has become usurers physical gold? The answer sometimes seems
          to be pedantic, but each must find their own way. Perhaps simply to keep on
          doing what we are best able to do, never ceasing, even though there seems to
          be no outlet into the world for it, no help, recognition or even any
          immediate use. Not to atrophy. Not to gift it to Ahriman, to swell his
          vaults which are filling up with trashed gold of human unrealized talents.
          For instance, whatever other gifts you have, and I'm sure you have them,
          your poetry has been wrought, will stand, is flowing into the world right
          now, and brings much to many, whatever else you may do. It is done,
          achieved, seeded and will bear fruit. Perhaps in those you never meet.
          I share with you too, a once longing and an answering experience. As a
          child I was constrained in my active play by polio and was weighted, at that
          time, with heavy metal leg irons and felt like some prisoner of war fettered
          and cast down on the earth. (When I reached sixteen I threw them away and
          dispensed with all medicos and medication, and took my life back to great
          effect!)
          To be without the full power of muscle is to have a particular
          relationship to gravity - ie to be aware of it, and I knew very early on
          that gravity is active, that the apple does not just fall but is grabbed.
          That an answering force must be brought to bear for uprightness to be
          maintained. Without muscular support every action demands extra effort and
          will. It becomes significant, purposed. No doubt there are many distorting
          down sides to this, but I always go with the lift, and hope and trust that
          future opportunities will arise for balancing it out. It does, however,
          strengthen will and also bring mobility to an inwardness, that learns to
          dance otherwise.
          This weighted condition objectified and externalized my position as
          pilgrim, wayfarer and vagrant on the earth. My fury at these heavy bonds
          was not that I could not walk easily or run, but that I could no longer FLY.
          In fact, I always felt like an alien, an exile, even though I was a member
          of a large, boisterous and intelligent family. I was always asking 'Where is
          everybody?' even asking my mother, who did not understand, even though she
          too was a spiritual exile. She had forgotten.....
          Outdoors, in the streets of London, I lived with what had devolved, or
          perhaps evolved to the minutiae, living with fern forests of moss on grey
          walls, with wonderful doings of ants and insects and blades of grass, and
          with the gigantic too, with winds, clouds, skies, great sparkles of flint in
          paving stones, rounded worlds of dew drops and magicked trees that bloomed
          in puddles. My first friendly foe was a gnomic being. Fairies were always
          just in the corner of the eye, and ghosts were everywhere. People were
          shadowy.
          I would walk slowly up and down the street passing and repassing my house,
          pretending that I did not belong there, playing at being an orphan,
          deliberately intensifying a feeling of aloneness in my soul and repeating
          over and over again, "I am homeless, homeless, homeless." I must have this
          very convincingly because passers by would come up to me in the street and
          press pennies into my hand, and tell me to buy myself an ice cream!
          One day it was very hot and the leg irons burned the flesh and the
          leather straps bit into my heat swollen flesh. I felt as if I must burst
          with anger and pain. Beside me, a little higher than my childish body, was
          a dustbin full of very smelly rubbish. The streets were grey and dusty.
          Suddenly came a great shaft of coolness and bright light, streaming behind
          me from infinite height, so that I was surrounded, cooled and calmed
          instantly. I knew who I was and from whence I had come, and a voice spoke
          silently in a way that I could understand and remember. I heard, inwardly,
          that this was my own choice, made freely in perfect justice. It changed my
          whole life in that I never bothered to resent disability or asked 'Why me?'
          I knew why and who.
          Only many years later, did anthroposophy give me the key to my questing,
          and put this experience, and so much else, in context. I began to build my
          hut....

          Prayer of Threefolding

          O make of me Thy net
          And cast me out to sea
          That secrets of purple and green
          Reveal Thy gold in me

          O make of me Thy cloak
          And wear me through the night
          That the frozen and frost veiled moon
          Reveal in me Thy Light

          O make of me Thy wand
          And wield me in high art
          That the palsied and sickened earth
          Find Thy wellspring in my heart.

          The Angel replies...

          On astral loom of stars
          Thy shining net was spun
          It is for you to cast
          And birth your own bright sun

          You were not naked sent
          Into the dark of night
          Around your form of flesh
          Is living cloak of light

          The human wand of 'I'
          Must ever stand alone
          To ring against the rock
          Draw water from the stone.

          Love from Jan
        • golden3000997@cs.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
            Oh, thank you my Sister,

            Did you write this poem? It is so very wonderful! Yes, yes, I affirm your
            biography with all of my heart. Later, I will give your more of mine.

            Thank you for the gold of your thoughts, the frankincense of your love and
            the myrrh that heals the wounds in my soul.

            Love,
            Christine
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 20, 2003
              Re: [anthroposophy] Where is everybody? On 18/12/03 1:18 pm, "golden3000997@..." <golden3000997@...> wrote:

              Oh, thank you my Sister,

              Did you write this poem? It is so very wonderful! Yes, yes, I affirm your
              biography with all of my heart. Later, I will give your more of mine.

              Thank you for the gold of your thoughts, the frankincense of your love and
              the myrrh that heals the wounds in my soul.

              Love,
              Christine

              Sister indeed!  The words were mine, written a long time ago. We all suffer through the money bondage you write of in ‘Lost in the Woods’ one way or another, because it is not fitting or suitable for humans. What Joksu writes of as ‘simple human kindness’ is true human currency, current, present, and while Ahriman seeks to electrify, digitalize, send a sub etheric current through money as well as everything else, we can harvest light through knowledge, bank gold in kindness and sharing, a de-posit ( deposit – entrusting, positioning ) that utterly eludes Ahriman. He simply cannot touch it.  You are very, very rich....
              Today I am in love with Chrysalis...
              Go gently, Jan

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2003
                  I heard this song today and thought it was fitting for the moment. The things that are missed through cyberspace.  Also Ahriman's savvy 'hearts over the techno cyberspace wave'.  To think what it would be like if we could have all this dialouge in person.  Sending out much appreciation to the beautiful words expressed by the various contributors on this list.  I have appreciated immensely.  Have a peaceful Holy Nights...

                A winter's day in a deep and dark December,
                I am the woe easing from my window to the streets below,
                I am a freshly fallen shadow of freshly silent snow.
                I am a rock I am an island.
                I've been waltzed of fortunes deep and mighty
                that love may penetrate,
                I have no need for friendship,
                friendship causes pain it is locked up,
                and it is nothing but distain.
                I am the rock, I am an island.
                Don't talk of love well I heard of the word before.
                It is sleeping in my memory,
                I won't disturb the slumber from feelings  that have died,
                if I never loved I would have never cried.
                I am a rock I am an island. I have my looks,
                and my poetry to protect me,
                I am sheilded in my armor, hiding in my  room,
                safe within my womb
                I touch no one and no one touches me.
                I am a rock I am an island.
                And the rock feels no pain.....
                And an island never cries......
                -Simon and Garfunkel -"I Am A Rock"
              • Jan
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2003
                  Where is everybody?
                  Here we are! Without this ether-net many of us would not have met at all
                  in this life. We are thinly spread, but that is no cause for concern.
                  Think potency! We are the homeopathic, bio dynamic dose!

                  Follows a poem by Manfred Kyber.

                  Sunrise

                  You child of man, there comes an hour
                  When all your lamps are dark,
                  Your bright fires hold no spark
                  And withered droops its head each scented flower.

                  When pleasing fancies flee your keeping,
                  There are no ties to bind,
                  No more tears can you find
                  To fill those eyes weary with over-weeping.

                  You child of man, there comes an hour
                  When all your lamps are dark,
                  No laughter leaves its mark,
                  No life entices, no star shines. No power

                  Left for the temple you would build
                  Deep in Eternity.
                  It sinks in infinity
                  Into the grave, its altar robbed, is stilled.

                  You child of man, there comes an hour
                  When all your lamps are dark.

                  This is the time. Go, beggar, seek,
                  In beggar's guise, in whole
                  Loneliness of soul,
                  Go trace your path to mountain's highest peak.

                  There fall upon your knees and fold
                  Your hands; holy this ground,
                  No name, no word resound.
                  Where no beginning and no end are told.

                  Around you, darkness, solitude.
                  You are alone, alone;
                  Alone you are, alone...
                  Then watch and wait, obedient, subdued.

                  You must watch and you must wait.
                  One day your angel brings,
                  With beat of mighty wings,
                  The key to the eternal Garden's gate.

                  The sun aflame with fire - its own -
                  One day, one day will shed
                  Light on the mountains' head.
                  He comes to you - you are no more alone.

                  The Sun has risen. You may see,
                  Flooded with light - Christ Jesus - this is HE.

                  Manfred Kyber (1918)

                  And one day, we also, face to face, around the great love-fired Hearth
                  of the World will sit at hearts-ease, having walked the plank of Earlyfire's
                  egoic I-ron sword; plunged strangely deep to fathom what we may, taken the
                  shipwrecked flotsam'd horizon path of God's own current, freely willed and
                  lucent star steered, returning through pearl'd gates of tears that also
                  spark rainbows when looked through sunwise. Bradford and Harvey will regale
                  us with saga and harvest tales of earths new hero-reaping, and Minstrel
                  Danny will bring us words that are really music. Juan will offer us stars,
                  Maurice risen, holy oil for altar-ing lamp, Christine the Gold of love,
                  Joksu Rings that have turned lemniscate and every single one, each precious
                  soul we have ever met in this risen sub etheric dredging, each one who has
                  read and pondered will stand and speak, or offer silence as balm for wounds
                  won journeying. Believe me, that time will come.
                  Love, Jan
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2003
                    Thank you for your wonderful insights and writings, and thank you to
                    the others who post here. I am one of the silent readers, wounded,
                    and on a journey.
                    mark

                    --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > lucent star steered, returning through pearl'd gates of tears that
                    also
                    > spark rainbows when looked through sunwise. Bradford and Harvey
                    will regale
                    > us with saga and harvest tales of earths new hero-reaping, and
                    Minstrel
                    > Danny will bring us words that are really music. Juan will offer us
                    stars,
                    > Maurice risen, holy oil for altar-ing lamp, Christine the Gold of
                    love,
                    > Joksu Rings that have turned lemniscate and every single one, each
                    precious
                    > soul we have ever met in this risen sub etheric dredging, each one
                    who has
                    > read and pondered will stand and speak, or offer silence as balm
                    for wounds
                    > won journeying. Believe me, that time will come.
                  • Jan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
                      Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Where is everybody? Dear Mark,
                        Last night I awoke before dawn in the sparkling dark with your words singing about me, and pondered long upon them; thoughts of wounds and wandering and journeymen.
                      "When I most wink, then do mine eyes best see"  And I have found it true that words which come with me from sleep are truly waking, wakening words, and must be listened to.
                       From sleep, "where many paths and errands meet.." and we meet too, if briefly, in overlapping time zones.
                         Where we are wounded, we are open.  Because we are wounded, we can be healed. The Heart-h is the everywhere ground of the world where fire of love is tended, where we are ground as precious stone is ground, to fineness - where we travel as daily working journeymen and so I say, with Manfred Kyber whom I know you love, "Blessings on your path"
                       And thank you again for summer gift of Peacock Butterflies.
                      Jan

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Bradford comments;

                        Gestures in the hands, the face, the feet, the body, as psychological
                        gestures as in Michael Chekhov "To the Actor" were defined and
                        assembled out of the Word and Logos Studies of Aristotle. Aristotle
                        penetrated into language to describe at least Six gestures. Poetic
                        diction: modes of utterance (command, prayer, statement, threat,
                        question, answer, etc). In Steiner's "SPeech and Drama" course,
                        command, sympathy, antipathy, question, thoughtful, withdrawing,
                        uncertain..were all added to and then some.

                        One has to appreciate spiritual work and time spent. We hardly know
                        what that means. Aristotle penetrated with astute Goethe
                        observation,that out Goethe'd Goethe. Aristotle penetrated everywhere
                        with refined observations. All his research was lost and tossed,
                        hidden for a 100years after his death or more and found by Arabs. All
                        of us focus and make efforts and in those efforts are objective
                        foundations of our spiritual development. We imagine and education
                        imagines a Tabla Rosa an empty slate..not so.

                        Our only worry is that by severing Heavens capacity in the
                        incarnation science of humanity, I mean by embracing the cloning
                        sciences, we begin to select and freeze mere earth bound capacity and
                        we lose the Spiritual capacities we have earned from our
                        incarnations? I hope you understand the seriousness of these two
                        ideas. Selective Earth bound judgement of shaping capacities on the
                        basis of Ahrimanic Science or Fighting for the Open system of heaven
                        and the incarnation potentials still worked with out of Michael
                        Sciences. This is a very serious issue.

                        When Steiner discovered Goethe's efforts, Goethe as a dynamo, a Man
                        for all Seasons.. this was a remembering of the entire rocket fuel
                        that Aristotle/Steiner had once used to penetrate reality. But just
                        to look at where STeiner starts, placing Goethe there as a model, yet
                        behind his interest in Goethe, was Steiner's ancient Interests in
                        everything overall as the once and former Entelechy of Aristotle.

                        You see, not only did Aristotle penetrate everywhere, for 20 years a
                        teacher in the Platonic Academy, but all aspects of life interested
                        Aristotle with exacting detail. Now to refine the observations and
                        growth of soul between Aristotle and Steiner we would have to look
                        into each gesture, color and tone of each Eurythmy figure. For
                        something emanates from the human spirit in Words, in hands, in face,
                        feet, and in the Eyes that bear forces of the logos and secrets we
                        should desire to know. But to study and isolate the Gaze of the Eye
                        contains a logical, soul imbued Science as well.

                        Here are some of the secrets that teachers can tell you about how the
                        Eye supports, encourages, warns, becomes soaked with tears, raises
                        and reveals joy, approval.. All of these many things pass through
                        with potent force the eyes of a Teacher or a parent. Children learn
                        also by the subtle forces of language and intonation that express
                        themselves even in the Ray and Beam of the Eye. For there is a Gaze
                        and the Gaze of Michael and the School of humanity can be studied
                        from the Glance of the human Eye and also from experiencing the Gaze
                        of Michael.

                        Check out the whole essay for Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov is another of
                        one of the stronger voices of the Michael School as well.

                        http://intuition2vishnu.homestead.com/PowerofGlance.html

                        "There will come a day when human beings will look at each other just
                        as God looks at them. They will have no more evil thoughts for each
                        other and every man will give free expression to his love by means of
                        his eyes and his smile. A glance is the language of God. God and the
                        Angels speak with their glances. No one in Heaven has time to stop
                        and talk to you; the Angels move through space at dizzying speeds
                        greater than the speed of light, but as they pass they send you a
                        glance which, if you are conscious of it, you will remember for
                        eternity, and which will heal, illuminate and save you. There is
                        nothing in the world to compare with such a glance. This is the true
                        language of Heaven.

                        Astrologers will tell you that the kind of glance people have depends
                        on the ruling planet in their chart. If it is the Moon, for instance,
                        they will have a vague, dreamy look that shows that they are 'in the
                        moon'. If their ruling planet is Mercury, their eyes pry into
                        everything . . . sometimes even into your pockets! Those who are
                        ruled by Venus have a languorous look and will try to attract you
                        with 'the glad eye'! Mars will stare at you defiantly as though to
                        say, 'Be careful, I'm quite willing to wrestle with you'! Jupiter
                        folds you in a protective glance which means, 'Rely on me, I can help
                        you; I know a lot of important people. I'll talk to them about you.'
                        Saturn's gaze is full of suspicion; he looks at you distrustfully
                        because he is always thinks you are going to do something to injure
                        him. The gaze of the Sun, on the other hand, is frank and open and
                        full of light.

                        How should we look at people? Not, at any rate, like Saturn, who
                        looks at you suspiciously. You will say that you have to distrust
                        everybody, otherwise you will be cheated and robbed. True, but if you
                        are perpetually distrustful of others, you will create the same frame
                        of mind in them and life will be unbearable."
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
                          There is a simple way to understand what Spiritual Science teaches
                          regarding the etheric and a more extensive and complex way. Now here,
                          I offer, from a fully active Spirit- as Steiner and the Initiates are
                          always fully active Spirits - a simple way to decode what is
                          understood as Etheric quality of perception.

                          The Garden of Souls and Spirits

                          By Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov

                          From The Seeds of Happiness

                          Human beings can be compared to flowers or fruit or even vegetables.
                          Every time you meet some, every time you talk to them and listen to
                          them, you can enjoy their fragrance or taste their flavour. But is
                          this what you actually do? No, you rarely pay attention to anything
                          but their clothes or their jewellery, their faces, their legs or
                          their hands; you never think of nourishing yourself on the life which
                          is hidden under all that and which emanates from their heart, soul
                          and spirit. And this is a great pity! Henceforth try to be more
                          attentive and learn to appreciate the human beings who are bearers of
                          the subtle life. Pause when you meet someone and say to your
                          self, 'he represents an aspect of the H Father; she represents the
                          Divine Mother. Thank you Heavenly Father! Thank you, Divine Mother!
                          Thanks to these human "fruits and flowers" I can come closer to you
                          and contemplate you today. Through their splendour I can breath your
                          perfume and taste your sweetness.' And you will go on your way happy
                          because this fruit or this flower will have brought you closer to
                          Heaven.

                          I know of course that some of you will be astonished that I should
                          compare human beings to fruit and flowers or vegetables. But what is
                          so astonishing about that? Poets are always comparing beautiful young
                          girls or bys to roses, violets, lilies, jasmine or lotuses! And one
                          of the favourite endearments of the French is, 'my little cabbage',
                          while someone who allows himself to be put upon is called a 'pear',
                          and someone who is stupid is called a 'gherkin'! Well, enough of this
                          market-garden vocabulary! The important thing is to understand that
                          this is an extremely effective method: if you learn to you it not
                          only will you avoid many mishaps and complications but you will
                          always be full of joy and inspiration.

                          How do men and woman usually look at each other? What do they see?
                          They see only the external appearance, the body or the clothes, and
                          this proves that they do not posses true knowledge. It is exactly as
                          though, looking at a car, you had eyes only for the bodywork and
                          ignored the person behind the wheel, that is to say the being that
                          thinks, feels and acts. But it is precisely this being that you must
                          learn to look for, that you must learn to see and feel in people.
                          Always try to go further and deeper so as to discover the soul and
                          spirit of those you meet, for it is there that you will discover
                          riches and treasures, heaven itself.

                          It is simply a question of ridding yourself of your habit of looking
                          at things in a way that distorts and impoverishes life. All human
                          beings have a body that goes without saying but that doesn't mean
                          that you have to look at nothing but their stomachs or their
                          intestines. What good will that do you? Of course you will tell me
                          that you are not interested in people's intestines, that what you
                          look for in others is beauty and that you find that beauty in their
                          eyes, their faces, hands and legs, ect. Well there is nothing very
                          wrong with that, but if you stop there and never go any further you
                          will be laying yourself open to disappointments for you are confining
                          yourself to details that are strictly material. If you want to feel
                          continually happy and inspired try to rejoice in the presence of all
                          the flowers and fruit that surround you and enjoy their emanations,
                          remembering that an invisible divinity is hidden in each one. Over
                          and above a person's physical body are all those things that emanate
                          from him on the subtle planes, and it is they that matter most.

                          As long as human beings continue to consider only each other's
                          physical appearance they will never find the joy they seek. Someone
                          who says, 'I need beauty and love', should know that he will find
                          them only when he learns to seek others in the fluidic world of
                          emanations, radiations and vibrations. When you meet somebody
                          wonderful and begin to love him and want to get to know him, instead
                          of doing all you can to get close to him on the purely physical
                          plane, learn to listen to the vibrations of his voice, to capture the
                          light of his glance, to rejoice in the harmony of his gestures. In
                          this way you will gradually build up a relationship with all that is
                          most subtle and divine in him, and the sensations you experience will
                          be beyond anything you have ever known or imagined. In the same way
                          you will also discover that people whom you may have been inclined to
                          despise or ignore are in reality exceptional beings who can give you
                          far more than many others who seem outwardly to be more interesting
                          or attractive.

                          There is a whole new field of study for you here. Go ahead, do some
                          experiments and analyse yourselves. Now that you know these truths
                          don't just ignore them and go on in the old way, repeating all the
                          same unhappy experiences. For I assure you, unless you change your
                          point of view, your experiences will continue to be unhappy: don't
                          delude yourself about this. It is no good believing in the
                          impossible. You plunge into all kinds of adventures that can only end
                          in grief and disenchantment and you think, 'It was just bad luck; we
                          could have been happy. 'No, never! Happiness and unhappiness are
                          never a question of chance or luck. They depend on you. It is you
                          yourselves who sow the seeds that will give you one or the other."
                        • anthropop1
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004