RE: [anthroposophy] RP1

  • Maurice McCarthy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
      Love to you Jan

      Consciousness has the form of a butterfly.
      In human intelligence the wings are time and space.
      In human willingness the wings are wisdom and time.

      Maurice.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 16, 2003
        Dear Folks;

        There are certain things missing from these
        considerations, one of which is exemplified by the following:

        "It is a prejudice of contemporary, so-called enlightened human
        beings to believe that their thoughts are confined only to their
        heads. We would discover nothing of the things around us through
        thoughts if these thoughts were only within the heads of man. He who
        believes that thoughts are only in the human head is as prejudiced as
        one – paradoxical as this may sound – who believes that the drink of
        water with which he quenches his thirst originated on his tongue
        instead of flowing into his mouth from the glass of water. It is as
        ridiculous to claim that thoughts originate in the human head as it
        is to claim that the drink of water originates in the mouth. Indeed,
        thoughts are spread out all through the world. Thoughts are forces
        that dwell in all things. Our organ of thinking is simply something
        that partakes of the cosmic reservoir of thought forces, absorbing
        thoughts of itself. We therefore cannot speak of thoughts as if they
        were the possession only of the human being. Instead, we must be
        aware that thoughts are world-dominating forces, spread out
        everywhere in the cosmos. These thoughts, however, do not freely
        float about, as it were, but are always borne and worked upon by some
        beings; and most important, they are not always borne by the same
        beings.
        "When we make use of the supersensible world, we find through
        supersensible research that, up to the fourth century A.D., the
        thoughts with which human beings made the world comprehensible to
        themselves were borne outside in the cosmos (I could also say, `they
        flowed out' – our earthly terms are ill-suited for these sublime
        occurrences and states of being), that these thoughts were borne or
        flowed from those hierarchical beings that we designate as the
        Exusiai or beings of form.

        "The evolution of humanity now approached the fourth century
        A.D. In the supersensible world, thought brought about an extremely
        significant event; namely, the Exusiai – the forces or beings of
        form – gave their thought forces up to the Archai, to the primal
        forces or primal beginnings. The primal beginnings, or Archai, took
        over the task formerly executed by the Exusiai. Such things happen in
        the supersensible world. This was a particularly sublime and
        significant cosmic event. From that time on, the Exusiai, the form
        beings, retained only the task of regulating the outer sense
        perceptions, therefore ruling with particular cosmic forces over
        everything existing in the world of colors, tones, and so forth.
        Concerning the age that now dawned after the fourth century A.D., a
        person who can discern these matters must say that he beholds how the
        world-dominating thoughts are passed on to the Archai, the primal
        beginnings; how what eyes see and what ears hear, the manifold world
        phenomena engaged in perpetual metamorphosis, are a tapestry woven by
        the Exusiai. They formerly bestowed the thoughts on human beings;
        they now give human beings their sense impressions, while the primal
        beginnings bestow the thoughts on human beings.

        "What is really implied here? What am I trying to point out so
        intensely? It is the fact that human beings feel themselves more and
        more in their individuality. As the world of thoughts passes from the
        form beings to the primal beginnings, from the Exusiai to the Archai,
        man increasingly senses the thoughts in his own being, because the
        Archai live one level nearer man than the Exusiai. Now, when man
        begins to see supersensibly, he has the following impression. He
        realizes that this is the world that he perceives as the sense world.
        One side is turned toward his senses, the other is already hidden
        from the senses. Ordinary consciousness knows nothing of the
        relationships that are to be considered here. Supersensible
        consciousness, on the other hand, has the impression that between man
        and the sense impressions there are the Angeloi, Archangeloi, and
        Archai; they are really on this side of the sense world. Though one
        does not see them with ordinary eyes, they actually are situated
        between man and the whole tapestry of sense impressions. The Exusiai,
        Dynamis and Kyriotetes are actually located beyond this realm; they
        are concealed by the tapestry of the sense impressions. A human being
        having supersensible consciousness senses that the thoughts are
        coming closer to him since having been given over to the Archai. He
        senses them as being located more in his world, whereas formerly they
        were located behind the appearance of things; they approached man, as
        it were, through the red or blue color, or the tone of c-sharp or g.
        Since this transference of thoughts, man feels a freer association
        with the world of thoughts. This also gives rise to the illusion that
        man himself produces the thoughts." (16 Mar. 1923, in: The Inner
        Nature of Music..., 1983, pp.79-85)

        "The time has come when man must become conscious again of these
        matters, because otherwise the soul qualities of human nature will
        simply deteriorate. Through the increasingly intellectual, one-sided
        form of knowledge, man of today and ion the immediate future would
        have to become arid in his soul; the arts, grown one-sided, would
        dull his soul; and one-sided religion would drain him of his soul
        altogether, if he were unable to find the path that could lead him to
        an inner harmony and union of these three; if he could not find a way
        to rise himself – in a more conscious way than was formerly the case –
        and once again see and hear the supersensible together with the
        sense world." (Ibid, pg.90)

        Take care, and give care, Rick
      • Maurice McCarthy
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 16, 2003
          Rick

          Superb!! I've got to sit back and contemplate this for myself.

          Deepest Thanks
          Maurice

        • Maurice McCarthy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 17, 2003
            Rick

            Still working on your post, magnificent timing for RP4 by the way, thanks
            again.
            Just learned that in 1996 the Vatican accepted the truth of evolution except
            for the creation of the soul. Would you know in which document? (Very
            limited internet access here. One painfully slow machine shared between 80
            folk.)

            Christine

            My daughter when had a book of children's tales from around the world.
            Amongst the tales was one of a Sioux myth that three children went to play
            in the forest and got lost. Tired, cold and hungry they were very
            frightened. They knew that they would have to sleep in the dark at the mercy
            of the beasts. So they settled in between some rocks but could not sleep. In
            the stillness of the night they began to hear small, quiet voices. Alarmed
            at first they listened carefully and began to realise that they were being
            told a most wondrous story. The stories continued nourishing their weary
            bodies. So enthralled were the children that they stayed day after day.

            Back at the village the search was frantic but they had to give up after
            several days, thinking that the wolves had carried them off. The children
            found their way back brimming with excitement and joy at all the tales they
            had been told. So enrapturing was their account that the whole village
            uprooted to go listen. Thus all the stories in the world were given by the
            stones to the people of the earth.

            The Powers of Form who moulded the mountains gave us our religions.

            Maurice

          • rickbobbs
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 19, 2003
              Dear Maurice, & Folks;

              The basic issue I wanted to draw attention to
              was the fact of involvement with non-perceptible, but living, beings
              in both our thoughts and sense-perceptions (and will). Being in a
              society where obvious living companions, such as the farm animals,
              have no other 'agenda' than to provide our material pleasures - and
              in the most egotistically profitable way possible, and the living
              landscape has no other agenda than to be a sandbox for 'landscrape
              starkitechts'; well, this background does make the possibility that
              our own personal being is also shared with other living things that
              have agendas and evolutionary needs of their own seem rather remote.

              The specific post was the only one that I've
              come across lately, and Steiner does elaborate more fully...."Occult
              Physiology" springs to mind. Also, on some of the other issues (there
              are only a few), I noticed that elib has "The Case for Anthroposophy"
              and "Theory of Knowledge Implicit in Goethe's World Conception" in
              the book section. First looks show good stuff. I intend to read
              later, but they're a month or two away on my list.

              I can't help you with the Vatican. Lost interest
              when I was a kid and noticed their anti-Christian wealth and
              mercantile idolatry.

              Take care, and give care....Rick
            • Maurice McCarthy
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 19, 2003
                Dear Rick

                " The basic issue I wanted to draw attention to was
                the fact of involvement with non-perceptible, but living, beings in both our
                thoughts and sense-perceptions (and will). ... well, this background does
                make the possibility that our own personal being is also shared with other
                living things that have agendas and evolutionary needs of their own seem
                rather remote."

                Yes, but it leads to the evolution of the soul, as in your last post, not as
                epiphenomenal like Darwinism but by devolution from Christ and descending
                through the hierarchies.

                "Steiner does elaborate more fully...."Occult Physiology" springs to mind."

                That's probably the only RS on my shelf that I've not read yet.

                " I can't help you with the Vatican."

                No problem, my friend.

                Many Thanks for your help
                Maurice