Re: Speculation on Creation

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Maurice McCarthy
      <Maurice.McCarthy@b...>

      http://books.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/0006544894.html

      Bradford comments;

      Now, the other smattering is to line you up to the historical Irish
      Monks who were in Hybernia and why, probably you are out there where
      you are. After all that Hybernia mystery center and the Irish monks
      is very much something down deep, eh Maurice?

      Victor Hugo underwent as an Irish Hybernia Monk, an Initation of such
      intensity that one of his works makes it all the way to Saturn
      Initation Vision....It was the isolation and the inward Initiation
      that Steiner described in his little tour of Mystery Centers. These
      all have to do with deeper insights of the carried capacity of souls.

      With John Scotus there are much deeper works of his that go very
      deeply into understanding and unfolding the triaic structure of
      Creation and far more on track than Science..however.. bridge,
      bridge, and bridge I always say.

      http://www.medio-evo.org/eriugenae.htm

      "We can say then that in John Scotus Eriugena we find expressed the
      spiritual yearning that has its roots in the Irish monasticism of St.
      Patrick and St. Colombanus. He showed to the Christians (monastic and
      lay) of his times the path to theosis (attaining the divine) as a
      universal call to sanctity for all humankind. Therefore and thereby,
      true believers can become, by gradual progress, transformed in and
      into the image of the Son, and may arrive at a knowledge of the
      mystery of God, in that "No man hath seen God at any time; the only
      begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared
      him"."

      "Scotus Eriugena's translation became, therefore, vital for the Latin
      West's knowledge and understanding of Dionysius, and of other
      important Greek patristic writers, such as Maximus the Confessor, the
      brilliant commentator on Dionysius, and Gregory of Nyssa. The
      Irishman was also the greatest theologian and philosopher before St.
      Anselm, and in his most famous work, the Periphyseon, constructed the
      Medieval Latin West's first system of thought.

      Here, he joins the philosophical notion of natura (borrowed from
      Boethius) with the theological one of creation: the coupling of
      these two concepts, he believed, would enable the interpretation of
      all truth. In this he is strongly influenced by Dionysius, so much so
      as to constitute the first Christian neo-Platonic system.
      Paradoxically, his thought brings us back to the present, because
      some of his intuitions, impregnated as they are with idealism and
      Nominalism, were taken up by Hegel and his interpreters, whether in
      philosophy or in contemporary theology. He divided all reality into
      four parts:

      1) Nature which creates and is not created (God)

      2) Nature which creates and is created (the primordial, or first,
      cause)

      3) 1) Nature which does not create and is created (all created
      things, animate and inanimate)

      4) Nature which does not create and is not created (representing
      creation in its ultimate transformation, but also the mystery of
      evil, not created by God and capable only of destruction)

      As will be evident, John Scotus Eriugena is capable of expressing,
      with the few intellectual means available in his own time, a vigorous
      and almost `modern' philosophical construct, very full and
      articulate. "
    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
        Bradford wrote:

        Fritjof Capra is the author of the Tao of Physics and helped create
        the film "MindWalk". "MindWalk" by Capra is so stunning that it leads
        right to the Etheric world. It asks the real questions of science.

        M:
        Seem to remember Capra saying that his mother was a big fan of RS but he
        never took any interest. She did not put it in front of him, no
        indoctrination - an anthroposophist in spirit and likely, in fact, a member.
        When eventually he did he realised that it would be a huge effort to get to
        grips with the new way of thinking and he was not prepared to put that
        effort in. Perhaps his soul just belongs to another School.

        Had the tip-off in the SteinerStudy today: the act of knowledge is not
        forceful will, not will in the physicalist sense we are used to, but the
        *willingness* to understand. It's a beauty. Willingness alone is deathless
        and eternal, the permanent substance. N.B. This definition has altered since
        Aristotle because consciousness has changed and the reality of experience
        must always correspond to consciousness. Notice how one form of willingness
        is powerlessness. How many people today live longer than the three score
        years and ten (70 years) of the Bible to spend many long days in old
        people's homes powerless as to their fate, sometimes with no apparent
        quality of life. This suffering is a gift of Grace to enthuse their next
        incarnation, to enable them to find meaning in life after suffering the
        darkness of materialism. At least that's the only suggestion I have.
        Treasure your old people. They carry the future of the Earth.

        B: ... You have no idea Maurice, what I conveyed about John Nash and the
        emancipated Ahrimanic double that Steiner indicated would arise?

        M: Afraid not. Must have missed it in my readings. Leave it to me. I'll
        think it through.

        B: ... Maurice, I'm a fan of yours

        M: ... Whoa! Easy boys!

        We've got the DSV Pelican (a large pipe laying and diving support vessel
        well known to British mariners) here doing subsea repairs and hooking-up a
        new production well so I might be a bit tied up tonight.

      • Maurice McCarthy
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
          Bradford wrote;

          Now, the other smattering is to line you up to the historical Irish
          Monks who were in Hybernia and why, probably you are out there where
          you are. After all that Hybernia mystery center and the Irish monks
          is very much something down deep, eh Maurice?

          M:
          Well I have been called the Moray Mouth (of Zod - they think I'm from
          another planet onboard here), and I'm sat more or less squarely in the mouth
          of the Moray Firth. Some of the river waters mingling in the sea here come
          down the Caledonian Canal and River Ness from the 1,000 depths of the Loch
          itself. Born in the NE of England I was steeled in the stubborn, hard
          working atmosphere of the working class area which expected to endure
          hardships. Moving to Wales I've certainly been adopted by the deep running,
          heart-felt Folk Spirit of the Valleys. This was only made possible by a
          disastrous and explosive first marriage which pulverised the shell around my
          heart and opened it to the world. All this and there is Irish blood in me
          too.

          The quotes from http://www.medio-evo.org/eriugenae.htm ring a lot of bells,
          yes, but I also studied Hegel for 15 years before meeting with RS. In fact
          even the name Hegel rang bells for me the very first time I saw it in the
          school library. I was 17.

          A chap who rejoices in the name of 'Biscuit' McVitie is pestering me for
          attention. You'd think he had important work to do or something.

          Maurice