Racism- What is it, and What's Wrong with it?

  • 888
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      Dear List,
      Sune Nordwall has asked me to remove a copyrighted document
      from the archive of this list. His email, in complete, is pasted
      below. In this email he answers the query put to us by Leslie, in
      relation to blondes having more fun.

      Folk fear racism because they believe that imagined predjudices will
      lead to disadvantages or even death of those considered to be of a
      inferior race. From his early days Dr. Steiner declared that we
      shouldn't judge a person by their race, sex, or creed- see The
      Philosophy of Freedom. Steiner's philosophy champions the individual,
      rather than what body or circumstance they happen to be in.

      Also Dr. Steiner taught that there are no limits to compassion in
      dealing with our fellow brothers and sisters. We are not bound to the
      one physical body or circumstance, we live in all the races.

      My son has a picture of a man with a " talks" bubble declaring "I've
      made up my mind now, so don't confuse me with the facts". Libel laws
      in some countries allow the truth as a defence, in others it is not.
      In the realm of racism it is the same- the truth is not always a
      defence. Fear has led to this "head in the sand" stance.

      -Bruce
      "The truth always rests on facts."

      Hi Bruce,

      I've been notified that walkker9 has uploaded a page from my site as
      document to the yahoo 'Anthroposophy' site at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthroposophy/files/On%20Racism%20and%
      20AP.doc

      At the end of the document, being a .doc form of an earlier version of
      the page http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/comments1.htm I
      stated:

      *Copyright 2001-2002: Sune Nordwall. This text, that expresses the
      personal views of the author, may not be republished without the
      expressed permission and consent of the copyright holder. Feel free to
      put up a link to it though.*

      That still holds.

      Could you take away the document from the files area and instead write
      to the Anthroposophy list, telling where the page I've written can be
      found; http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/comments1.htm ?

      It is an effort to sort out some of the different aspects and meanings
      of the concept of 'race' as found in the works by Steiner. The quote
      in
      question, that constitutes the origin of the discussion on the
      Anthroposophy list, is taken from the anti-anthroposophical site
      created
      by Dan Dugan in SF, where it is quoted out of context as part of his
      demagogical campaign against Waldorf education and anthroposophy.

      A Melissa asks about it on the Anthroposophy list in a posting Sat Sep
      27 found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthroposophy/messages ->

      The quote is - I think - taken from an ad hoc lecture by Steiner
      during
      a morning coffee break for the workmen, working to build the first
      Goetheanum. It was held in response to a question from one of the
      workers, being - according to my memory - _approximately_ (don't have
      the original lecture series here at the moment):

      *In my childhood, many (or most) people in the part of the country (I
      think Austria) where I lived were fair haired. But nowadays, that is
      not any longer the case. Most or many more now are dark haired and the
      fair haired seem to have disappeared. What is the reason for this?*

      The question seems to have been put out of the context at the time of
      developing nationalism and white racism and the cultivation of a
      worship
      of a mythological blond and blue eyed aryan Nordic hero of the past as
      origin and essence of human culture.

      As answer, Steiner holds a long lecture on among other things the way
      of
      external light through the human body, having according to him the
      character of a complex nutritional process. Only at the end of this
      long
      rumination does he in passing comment in a sensitive way on the
      question
      between the lines from the worker, put out of the context of the time
      mentioned.

      The quote taken from the site created by DD is the comment by Steiner
      on
      this implicit question between the lines from the worker, and Steiner
      points to that one form of an instinctive form of intelligence in his
      view actually in general from a physiological perspective is connected
      with being blue eyed and fair haired, but that that must be overcome
      by
      developing a spiritual intelligence into the future, that not is
      directly related to physiological processes.

      This is presented by Mr. Dugan at his site as if should mean the
      opposite by being taken out of this context, not explaining the
      context
      in question. It's pure slick rhetoric, cultivating the picture of
      Steiner as a pro-Nazi.

      Something similar also holds for the other main quote from Steiner
      found
      at the main page of DD, trying to depict him as an anti-Semite by
      using
      a quote in a review of a play. The quoted remark was made in the
      context
      of a developing Jewish Enlightenment at the time.

      For some comments on it and Steiner's relation to Jewry and Judaism,
      in
      addition to http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/comments1.htm see
      http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/plans1.html -> Steiner: "Racial
      Ideals Lead Mankind Into Decadence", Anthroposophy and anti-Semitism:
      Was Rudolf Steiner an Anti-Semite? - A Study, found at
      http://www.waldorfschule.info/aktuell/anti.pdf

      For some comments on a Staudenmaier as the at present main promoter of
      the demagoguery cultivated by DD and PLANS, see
      http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/PS/Staudenmaier.html
      http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/two-mythologies.htm and
      http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/comments/PS/Untruths-of-Staudenmaier.htm

      Feel free to post this mail in its entirety on the Anthroposophy list.

      It may not be reposted at any other site or list on the net.

      Kind regards,

      Sune
      Stockholm
      http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/indexeng.htm
    • Bobby Matherne
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        888 wrote:

        > Dear List,
        > Sune Nordwall has asked me to remove a copyrighted document
        > from the archive of this list. His email, in complete, is pasted
        > below.

        Dear Bruce,

        Thanks for posting this. I am aware of the inverted uses that some would
        put discussions such as the one Sune responded to, and I would prefer not
        to supply any ammo to those shooting blanks on their own. The answers to
        the questions raised can be found by a careful reading of Steiner and
        discussion, as Steiner so cogently puts it, starts when knowledge ends.

        in freedom and l*ght,

        Bobby

        --
        "An Outline of Occult Science, Ch 1,2,3" by Rudolf Steiner