Re: [anthroposophy] It is so simple really

  • Kevin Dann
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2003
      Bradford,

      This story of one more example of squashing voices for peace prompts me
      to send along
      this email invitation that I just sent out this week. If any of you are
      in the neighborhood,
      please come join us!

      Kevin

      "Voices of Peace" Historical Walking Tour in Woodstock [Vermont, my
      home] Sunday

      When visitors drive into Woodstock, the very first thing they see just
      before reaching the heart of the village is the iron cannon and granite
      Civil War soldier statue of Tribou Park. On the Green, there is a small
      war memorial plaque, and as children go in and out of the elementary
      school each day, they pass another granite war memorial. How can we
      expect America to renounce its bellicose ways when generation after
      generation are surrounded by the monuments and myths of American militarism?

      The latest tribute to America's military history to be found in
      Woodstock, this beautiful and seductively well-manicured landscape of
      past and present, is the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical
      Park's "Civil War Homefront" historical walking tour, which debuted last
      weekend. I was on the inaugural tour, and it inspired me to create an
      alternative walking tour that recognizes war as an affront to home, and
      seeks instead to celebrate stories of dissent against military action,
      and of local voices of the past who spoke out in courageous dissent
      against the status quo. Such stories are hard to find; unless we find
      them and tell them, we are doing the individuals who spoke up in the
      past a grave disservice. The dead call to us to think right, act right,
      and tell their stories with an eye not toward sentimentality, but toward
      seering truth.

      Come walk with me and tell your own stories of dissent and of waging
      peace in your own families, workplaces, and neighborhoods. We'll meet at
      the Information Booth on the Green in Woodstock at 1 PM, and amble out
      over the covered bridge, down to the River Street Cemetery, to Elm
      Street and back into the village. I am supposed to play music on the
      porch of the Rockefeller mansion at 2:30 PM, so I promise we'll not keep
      you all afternoon. And speaking of that mansion, I just spent the other
      day doing research on a certain part-time Woodstock resident beloved as
      a 'catalyst for conservation' but whose biography really speaks to the
      peculiar history of the catalysts for catastrophe in America. . .
    • 888
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2003
        Dear Kevin,
        > That "Harris guy"--I imagine you mean Thomas Lake Harris. Was he
        along
        > with
        > Oliphant (and PB Randolph, John Murray Spear--I suppose one could
        > include Joe
        > Smith in here too) seduced into the Free Love camp,

        Thomas Harris studied Swedenborg - from a young age I believe.

        I was first turned on to the Oliphant story when I heard a lecture
        by Paul M. Allen many years ago. Oliphant appears in the Karmic
        Relationships lectures, and you can see that Swedenborg is discussed
        just prior to this.

        While incarnated as Ignatious of Loyola, he (Swedenborg) was under
        the influence of a "Mars Genius". As a balance to this it appears he
        was more under the inspiration of a Venusian influence during his
        stint as Swedenborg. Swedenborg, says Steiner, had a deeply intense
        love for knowledge, his clairvoyance however was not attained by
        means of exercises as recommended in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds.
        Swedenborg attained his higher knowledge by means of what Steiner
        calls erotic forces. Of course we don't have to take Steiner's word
        on this because Swedenborg tells us this himself:

        http://www.esoteric.msu.edu/VolumeII/Blake.html

        That article explains how Blake also was a follower of Swedenborg.

        "Also attending the Fetter Lane services was Emanuel Swedenborg, who
        periodically lived in London while working as a secret intelligence
        agent for the pro-French, pro-Jacobite party in Sweden (called
        the "Hats") [27]. Since his student days, Swedenborg had access to
        rare instruction in heterodox Jewish mysticism, which included the
        more erotic and visionary theories of the Sabbatians, secret
        disiciples of the seventeenth-century "false messiah," Sabbatai Zevi
        [28]. In his diaries, Swedenborg recorded many of the lurid sexual
        ceremonies of the Moravians, which initially attracted but later
        repelled him. Like Zinzendorf, Swedenborg sought out Jewish
        Kabbalists in the East End, and he soon came under the spell of Dr.
        Samuel Jacob Falk, known as the "Baal Shem" of London (master of the
        magical names of God).
        Verendum."

        "Frank himself [the reincarnation of Sabbatai Zevi]"

        Dr. Steiner spoke of Sabbatai Zevi as a "False Christ". I would have
        to research a little further, but I gather that the sexual secrets of
        the Secret Doctrine of Israel were not confined Zevi's doctrines.

        From the above webpage:

        "through the sublimation of his sexual energy into visionary energy.
        By meditating on the male and female potencies concealed in the
        vessels of Hebrew letters, by visualizing these letters in the forms
        of human bodies, by regulating the inhalation and exhalation of
        breath,"

        Swedenborg progressed along the above lines.

        Thomas Lake Harris was able to develop extraordinary abilities in
        respiration, so much so that a doctor declared that he had never
        entcountered the like of before.

        Swedenborg:

        "Journal of Dreams (1744-45)

        ...the will [male sephira] influences the understanding
        [female sephira] most in inspiration [breathing in]. The
        thoughts then fly out of the body inward, and in expiration
        are as it were driven out, or carried straight forth; showing
        that the very thoughts have their alternate play like the
        respiration... therefore when evil thoughts entered, the only
        thing to do was to draw to oneself the breath; so the evil
        thoughts vanished.
        Hence one may also see the reason that during strong
        thought the lungs are held in equilibrium...and at this time
        the inspirations go quicker than the expirations... Also, of
        the fact that in ecstasy or trance, the man holds his breath "

        Greetings,
        Bruce