Blooming Idiot

  • Bobby Matherne
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
      holderlin66 wrote:

      Harold Bloom wrote:
      > surely the Nobel Prize for literature should go to J.K. Rowling.

      Taken out of context, but apt.

      William Faulkner's first, and by his own design "dreadful", novel, sold
      more copies in the first month than his "Sound and Fury" did in two years.

      > What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of
      > years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale
      > University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and
      > the Sorcerer's Stone."

      I tried reading Harry Potter, the first book, and thought it was a dreadful
      read, peurile and vacuous.

      I also remember once being at a film shoot in Universal City and, as
      long as I stayed on the side of the set that the camera saw, everything was
      hunky-dory. But when I wandered around to the back of the set, all I saw
      was facades held up by scaffolding and wooden braces. That seems to be
      Bloom's complaint -- he looks at the scaffolding-side of the book instead
      of the glory-side.

      > I suffered a great deal in the process. The
      > writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed
      > that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead
      > that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back
      > of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only
      > after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was
      > incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead
      > metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

      But then I listened to Jim Dale's reading on audio tape, and BANG! the
      scaffolding disappeared and I was in a fantastic world of amazing
      people. I was being Pottie-trained! My wife Del and I love the
      readings by Jim Dale. When we were in Waco for a wedding in June, the
      first thing we did Saturday morning was buy "The Order of the Phoenix"
      to listen to on the way home to New Orleans, a trip that was not long
      enough unfortunately.

      While listening to the tapes, soon even the "he said" scaffolding
      disappeared and the only jolt was a minor one when you expected a sound
      effect to occur because Dale had lured you into thinking he was an
      entire cast of a radio broadcast instead of just reading aloud every
      unabridged word of a novel.

      Seems to me even a classical Blooming idiot could learn a thing or two
      about 21st Century literature . . .

      As Satchmo loved to say about our children, "they'll learn much more than
      we'll ever know." My money is on the kids choices and not the adults who
      judge what's inappropriate for them to read. Wanna have some kid fun? Buy a
      copy of Captain Underpants. http://www.doyletics.com/arj/taocurvw.htm

      Watch out, Harold, "The Closing of the American Mind" is a door that swings
      both ways, don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out.

      in freedom and l*ght,

      Bobby

      P. S. Apostrophe to danifyoudodanifyoudont --- I wrote this post
      originally in anapestic quadrameter using a lot of sesquipedalian
      verbiage, but the Sobig worm ate it before I could send it.

      --
      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ><(((°><°)))>< ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      "An Outline of Occult Science, Ch 1,2,3" by Rudolf Steiner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
        Bradley,

        Thanks for sending the William Pitt Rivers piece and your impassioned
        cautionary remarks about Karl Rove so demonically ably taking up the
        mantle of Colonel House. The rationalist in me is still pounding the
        table and asking: "Where is the ultimate agency behind this unfolding
        drama?" Not the drama of a slight strategic slip on the part of the
        Ahrimanic handlers of swiss cheese double, Aspartame-addled Dubya, but
        the Cosmic Drama that John received wind of in that cave on Patmos, and
        which we are all now living out, moment by moment. It takes more than
        just the little rational mind, the Intellectual Soul, to puzzle out the
        levels of deception. Framing it as you do, as the substitution of
        Ahrimanic "intelligence" for the Michaelic Intelligence is a great aid
        to transcending toward an interpretation worthy of the Consciousness
        Soul, but still, my little mind wants to know -- who dunnit? "Who
        dunnit" in the sense of how do we identify and 'out' the minions of
        Ahriman now planning every move toward Apocalypse?

        Yesterday I called my parents, after hearing NPR report on the Valerie
        Plame incident (having followed it for weeks on Amy Goodman's "Democracy
        Now" radio program, fully convinced that the story would never make
        mainstream outlets), to tell them that the day before I had launched a
        historic walking tour here called "Voices of Peace," whose primary
        intent was to celebrate dissent against militarism, but really, to
        affirm the place of dissent in our past. I have talked to older folks in
        this community who were investigated as Communists by the FBI in the 50s
        because of their support for the World Federalist Council, one of many
        internationalist organizations that sprang up in the aftermath of WW II.
        These people, now in their 70s and 80s, are completely dismayed to see
        the feebleness with which we are responding to the assault on our
        freedoms. The Plame incident is just one more chilling indicator of how
        coldly and openly dissent is now being stifled in our country. I was so
        enraged about Rove and Company, and called them 'thugs' in my
        conversation with my parents. My dad came back with the assertion that
        Ms. Plame was simply 'an analyst,' and that dozens of folks in DC knew
        she worked for the CIA. I am sure he heard that on MSNBC. I've sent him
        the Pitt Rivers piece and asked that he read and think about it.

        At the opening of _Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix_, Harry is
        crouching in the shrubbery outside the Dursley's Privet Lane home,
        listening to the TV news, so that he might hear a "sign." Who needs to
        crouch in the shrubbery!? This treacherous, treasonous, traitorous
        outing of Valerie Plame; the blackout in Italy; earthquake in Russia;
        September 29 as the ending of the "Hudna" cease fire; Israeli blustering
        about Iranian nukes; Arafat's flu. With the whole world on a
        hairtrigger, every single cough and sneeze seems like an Apocalyptic
        omen.

        Kevin
      • Kevin Dann
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
          BradFORD,

          OK, who wants to measure my intelligence? All my life I've had to
          practice patience as people constantly call me by my last name instead
          of my first, being one of those folks with two first names (Kevin Dann).
          So I am extra sensitive to calling people by their correct names. But my
          own name laziness seems operative this morning, knitting the first
          syllable of your first name and the last of your last into a new name
          for you. Please forgive this slip.

          Best,
          Kevin