From Waldorf Critics list - any comments ??

  • ziggy_se
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
      >Percedol wrote:
      >> Peter Staudenmaier wrote:
      >> This element of anthroposophical race theory persists to this day,
      >>as you can see from the work of Pietro Archiati, Tarjei Straume, our
      >>very own Percedol, and numerous others. In light of your interest in
      >>Social Threefolding, I'd like to point out that latter-day
      >>Threefolders still openly promote Steiner's racist teachings; for
      >>one example, see Joachim Luttermann, Dreigliederung des Sozialen
      >>Organismus (1990), which recommends Steiner's tome Cosmic Memory,
      >>along with Wachsmuth's Evolution of Mankind. Obviously a lot of
      >>anthroposophists have a long way to go before they can "clearly
      >>disassociate" themselves from Steiner's racism.
      >>

      > P:
      > Ad libitum.
      > There is nothing to dissociate from. So, don't hold your breath.

      I will disagree - In praxis antroposophy of today have included a
      north-south perspective, at least there's good attempts to include
      this perspective, but I absolutely think Steiner totally missed to
      present anything valid in regard to a north-south perspective, and in
      several occassions express opinions I think antroposophists of today
      do well in clearly dissassociating themselves from - even without
      making lame excuses. Steiner was very eurocentric - and expose total
      ignorance about ie Africa and express views on negroes that is totally
      unacceptable - This however doesn't necessarily mean you have to
      dissaccociate yourself from anthroposophy - but in several cases from
      Steiner - not all sayings from Steiner is coming out of spiritual
      insigth - and in many cases he talks about things he simply didn't
      knew anything about.
      This means that there's a whole area of parralell evolution of
      cultural-historical-spiritual developments in important civilisations
      that antroposophy of today need to explore with spiritual science and
      complement the eurocentric view with. Neither as segregation nor
      assimilation, but in a creative process of mutual understanding and
      free integration.

      > Also, there are races, but in our time we have to consider nations,
      >not races. But you don't want to understand this, because you need it
      >to continue to attack A., that is your agenda.

      The attacks is partly justified. I think antroposophy suffer somewhat
      from an attitude of exclusion. There's a tedency to build an ivory
      tower, where communication requires from the other to understand
      antroposophy and Steiner. Why not adapt the following advise from RS:
      " When we meet adversity, we should not indulge in negative judgement,
      but accept the inevitable and try as best as we can, to turn it into
      good. Similarly instead of considering the opinions of others only
      from our own standpoint, we should try to put ourselves into their
      position" (How to know higher worlds p 121) I don't find it
      productive to speculate in PS's (Peter Staudemaiers) motives - and it
      is interesting to step outside your own image of anthoposophy and see
      it from an outside view. It may turn out that the others lack of
      understanding is a direct result of your own failure to communicate,
      and cast ligth upon "blind spots' in your own view

      Soren

      http://www.freewebs.com/tcfactory/
    • Morgan Vierheller
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2003
        As an American Waldorf teacher, I am acutely aware of the lack of a North-South perspective in the curriculum and
        have taken steps to change this. We teach Spanish in our school which brings with the language now prevalent in
        South America the flavor of that land.
        Our Spanish teachers are from those lands; Brazil and Guatemala, and weave that history into the lesson. In the high
        school there is a Main Lesson on Africa and South America.

        If anthroposophy is to live, then it is among the living that one should seek its application.
        Steiner initiated it, it is up to us to use it wisely.

        It is in the individual that the seeds of prejudice and bigotry lie. It is there, today, person to person where
        this needs to be addressed.

        Morgan