Re: Silicon-Chip-Shipwreck

  • joksu57
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hello Jan!

      Warm thanks for your fine "Corelli contribution"! (The M. Kyber's
      text was also a real food for "feelings".) Many, many years ago a
      bought a book from a second-hand bookshop. It was a Swedish book
      called "Prins Lucio" written by M. Corelli. It became instantly one
      of my favourite novels. I didn't know that the original name of the
      book was "The Sorrows of Satan" until I read it from your post. (The
      original name is much better.)

      The description of the "shipwreck initiation" is truly wonderfull.
      When I was reading your post about the subject, I started remembering
      what Dr. Steiner has said about the rosicrucian initiation. I mean
      one special detail, where one is in grave danger, very near death,
      and is then saved in the last moment. The "would-be-initiate" can
      feel that his life belongs now to some "greater cause".

      When we think about WMD, materialism, militarism etc. it can be said
      that nowadays the whole humanity is in grave danger. But then also
      great possibities for spiritual advancement must be at hand.
      The "blessings" of e.g. nuclear weapons are given to humanity by
      quite a small group of scientists. Perhaps it is so that also quite a
      small group of "spiritual scientist" can effect great changes, if
      they can follow Christ in thoughts, feelings and in deeds also. When
      a real "eccleesia" is living daily a true Christianity, then a
      larger "audience" can understand at lest theoretically, what
      spiritual science and Christ Event is all about.

      Jan wrote : "…Lucio-Rimanez (Lucifer-Ahriman) who (as someone else
      once sang) `introduces himself as a man of wealth and taste' and
      mysteriously befriends a struggling writer, making him fabulously
      rich, opening every worldly door, ensuring fame and
      recognition, satisfying every desire, just barely incognito, always
      hoping to be recognised and resisted and therefore redeemed. If he
      wins he loses, and so hates and despises every soul who cannot
      resist his temptations. " (end of quote)

      When a Finnish occultist Mr. Ervast was once talking about Corelli's
      book and the nature of Satan, he referred to an old Indian legend
      (I'm not sure if it was about "Hanuman". I don't remember where this
      text was, so this is all based on my memory). Anyway, in the legend
      there was a fallen creature, who was very powerfull and in his lust
      for power did much damage. But then this high "King" repented his
      deeds and the gods gave him two possibilities: 1) For a very long
      time the King could do helpfull deeds or 2) for a shorter time he
      must continue doing the same as before, to keep up this "school of
      temptations"; only now it is some sort of unpleasant sacrifice for
      him. And the fallen King choosed the second option…

      If we think along the lines indicated above, then it must be said
      that a creature of this calibre (Satan) is not a retarded angel
      (lucifer) from the Moon period, nor a retarded archangel (ahriman)
      from the Sun period, but rather a fallen seraphim. Father and Christ
      are of course above all angel hierarchies.

      Anyway, the attitude shown by Marie Corelli is truly a Christian one:
      there is no fear or hate against the Satan. One must just recognize
      Satan's inspiration, refuse from it and then follow the example of
      Jesus Christ.

      Joksu

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "starbirdgarden"
      <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:

      > Following the adventures of various ships in the past weeks, we
      inevitab=
      > ly come to
      > the defining moment of shipwreck. We have seen the world through
      the Glitt=
      > ering
      > Eye of the ice-bound shipwrecked Mariner, who, as he must, seeks to
      awaken =
      > others
      > to the truth of their position as passive life-tourists, dreamily
      enjoying =
      > the comfort
      > and luxury of a deckchair on the Titanic, heading for the Iceberg
      of Ahrima=
      > n.
      > The shipwreck is a threshold experience,totally
      transformative, a pass=
      > ing through
      > an horizon portal that lies in the nowhere-everywhere land between
      air and =
      > water,
      > light and life and death. To become the salt of the earth one must
      plunge i=
      > nto the
      > salt-SEE.
      > Shipwreck is an initiation of pure grace, a moment of utter
      aloneness =
      > upon infinite
      > depths, in terror, nakedness and bereft of all weighty possessions
      that sin=
      > k beneath
      > the waves, leaving only what is buoyant, levity born, truly human,
      to float=
      > . The
      > situation is grave, but graves belong to gravity - necessary indeed
      to expe=
      > rience the
      > ego in the red blood cells, but also necessary -vital - are the
      restored `t=
      > ree of life'
      > ethers that lift and bear aloft. The sickness is not unto death!
      Coleridge=
      > 's Mariner is
      > marooned rather than utterly shipwrecked, but the analogy holds
      good. `All=
      > the
      > mountains and Islands were moved out of their places' the island
      of the eg=
      > o is very
      > lonely. As is a stranded ship. The Lesser Guardian stands aside. A
      wonderfu=
      > imagination of the shipwreck-initiation is to be found in Marie
      Corelli's b=
> [...]
      > adventuring in the godless world of science, wealth and celebrity,
      eyes res=
      > olutely
      > closed, aboard Lucio's yacht, `Flame' a vessel mysteriously powered
      by elec=
      > tricity. The
      > prototype of the Silicon-chip ship? Demons and spectres are crew
      and also u=
      > nwanted
      > companions. When for the first time, Lucifer Ahriman is unveiled,
      the seasc=
      > ape turns
      > to ice, a frozen world stretches everywhere around. The Flame-
      yacht of Lu=
      > cifer
      > steers through the Ahrimanic ice, through an infernal horror of
      desperately=
      > suffering
      > souls. A question is asked - whom is to be served? A choice must
      be made.=

      > " The question thundered in my ears……shuddering, I looked from
      right t=
      > o left,
      > and saw a gathering crowd of faces, white, wistful, wondering,
      threatening =
      > and
      > imploring. – they pressed about me close, with glistening eyes and
      lips tha=
      > t moved
      > dumbly. And as they stared upon me I beheld another spectral thing –
      the im=
      > age of
      > Myself! - a poor frail creature, pitiful, ignorant, and
      undiscerning – lim=
      > ited in both
      > capacity and intelligence, yet full of a strange egotism and still
      stranger=
      > arrogance;
      > every detail of my life was suddenly presented to me in a magic
      mirror, and=
      > I read my
      > own chronicle of paltry intellectual pride, vulgar ambition, and
      vulgarer o=
      > stentation – I
      > realized with shame my miserable vices, my puny scorn of God, my
      effronteri=
      > es and
      > blasphemies; and in the sudden strong repulsion and repudiation of
      my own
      > worthless existence, being and character, I found both voice and
      speech. `=
      > God only!'
      > I cried fervently – `Annihilation at His hands, rather than life
      without Hi=
      > m! God only! I
      > have chosen!" end quote
      >
      > Throughout this whole terrible experience a bird yet sings; a
      heavenly=
      > soul song.
      > The bird song theme is present throughout the book, a woman author
      characte=
      > whose spiritual books are castigated by modern society is named
      Mavis – mea=
      > ning
      > thrush, and the birdsong of hope is ever present, heard here and
      there in s=
      > natches
      > and stray notes. Birdsong was not underestimated in novels of this
      period (=
      > 1895)
      > Feed the birds, dear friends! Feed the birds! Birdsong is
      more than =
      > creative
      > modulation of etheric forces, star mediated flower shaping sound.
      Birdsong=
      > is
      > individually spiritually potent, the pied Piper of the Soul,
      calling from t=
      > he future, while
      > stirring remembrances of past spirit-stature. Birdsong, we are
      told, is pu=
      > rely
      > territorial. One wonders why the birds are especially territorial
      in the ea=
      > rliest dawn,
      > and at dusk…….why territory should be bounded by such sheer
      loveliness that=
      > blends
      > and harmonises and lives! If this is the demarcation of territory,
      perhaps =
      > we should
      > emulate the birds and sing our boundaries…..
      >
      > Bound hand and foot the mariner see-man is cast into the `outermost
      darknes=
      > s of the
      > world' into abyss experience , surviving, surfacing to find
      himself floati=
      > ng peacefully
      > trusting beneath sunny skies on a blue sea, to rescue and new
      life. His gr=
      > eat
      > monetary wealth disappears as mysteriously as it came, and he
      becomes
      > spiritually wealthy, and self supporting. The hallmark of true
      shipwreck i=
      > nitiation is
      > the complete change in the mariner, now Captain, taking a new
      course steer=
      > ed by a
      > different star. "I am the master of my fate, I am the Captain of my
      soul"
      > There are many insights and undertones to this wonderful book.
      Lavish =

> [...]
      > hty
      > awakening abyss-initiation that can arise out of it. And many
      souls have c=
      > ome
      > through just such experiences, and yet remain shipwrecked because
      they have=
      > not
      > the context of spiritual science to make sense of their journeying
      in psych=
      > o-spiritual
      > waters, which can be so murky and dangerous. Very often these
      crisis (crisi=
      > s meaning
      > – discern – judge) are not as productive of change as they can
      potentially =
      > be, and can
      > even lead to mental instability. This is a tragic waste, and the
      clearing o=
      > f the spiritual
      > air is surely a task for anthroposophists. If a crisis is to
      produce that =
      > deep inner
      > certainty of change, it must also be discerned, evaluated in the
      context of=
      > spiritual
      > scientific ideas and concepts so that productive work can be
      undertaken.
      > That Marie Corelli was well aware of what lies (!) behind
      government is =
      > shown by
      > the last paragraph.
      >
      > "At last, just as Big Ben chimed a quarter to eleven, one man
      whom I i=
      > nstantly
      > recognised as a well known Cabinet Minister came walking briskly
      towards t=
      > he House
      > (Parliament) then, and then only , he whom I had known as Lucio,
      advanced =
      > smiling.
      > Greeting the Minister cordially, in that musical rich voice I knew
      of old, =
      > he took his
      > arm – and they both walked on, talking earnestly. I watched them
      till thei=
      > r figures
      > receded in the moonlight….the one tall, kingly and commanding, the
      other bu=
      > rly and
      > broad, and self assertive in demeanour; I saw them ascend the
      steps, and fi=
      > nally
      > disappear within the House of England's Imperial Government – Devil
      and Man=
      > –
      > together!" end quote from "The Sorrows of Satan" by Marie Corelli.
      >
      > She was a superb writer, preparing the etheric atmosphere for the
      reception=
      > of the
      > Christian Initiation. Some of us only use rhyme or doggerel to
      bookmark mo=
      > ments in
      > our lives……perhaps making them accessible to other people. No more
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
        Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Silicon-Chip-Shipwreck On 4/9/03 1:31 pm, "joksu57" <jouko.sorvali@...> wrote:

             Hello Jan!

        The description of the "shipwreck initiation" is truly wonderfull.
        When I was reading your post about the subject, I started remembering
        what Dr. Steiner has said about the rosicrucian initiation. I mean
        one special detail, where one is in grave danger, very near death,
        and is then saved in the last moment. The "would-be-initiate" can

        feel that his life belongs now to some "greater cause".

        Hello Joksu,   Good to speak to you again, and could not agree more with what you write. I’m sure you have much to say on Deserts as well as Shipwrecks....... Moses, Christ, Temptations?  Look forward to hearing from you, Jan