Time,WTO,etc.-Re: [anthroposophy] New Issue of Southern Cross Review

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2000
      Thanks, JoAnn, and hello all.

      I especially enjoyed two articles in the issue of The Southern Cross REview.
      One is the end of the book by Michael Friedjung, on putting soul back into
      science. I looked at some earlier chapters, something on time (and what
      Rudolf Steiner says about time). Time is something that really interests me.
      How physics sees time, he says, is not how ordinary people see time. Thus,
      physics is lacking, needs the soul.... Rudolf Steiner talks about the
      importance in the ordinary way of seeing time. There's a threefoldness:
      past--thinking (memory, mental images); present--feeling; future --willing.
      We will the future, in that we live/act in ways that call it up.

      Something else occurs to me. I don't know if it is "anthroposophically
      correct" or not, but I see a circle, cycle here, and tend to see time, not
      linearly, but cyclically (ideally, that is). So, the Future i can also see
      as containing the mental and thinking function (ie., we can imagine the
      future, and imagination is another level of the mental function, image
      making capacity). Thus, past and future meet, in the circle.

      I also very much enjoyed reading Nicanor Perlas's piece on the global civil
      groups (people like us) and our role in the recent events in Seattle (and
      Washington, D.C.) around the meetings of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
      For those interested in Threefolding and Sustainable Living, I recommend
      Perlas. He is a calm, informed, thoughtful, compassionate voice. He sees
      Rudolf Steiner's threefolding at work in our activism of a certain kind, and
      the activism around the WTO meeting in Seattle is one beautiful example.
      Praises!
      (Perlas, apparently, has done much in the Phillippines in the development of
      sustainable agriculture and economics in the face of betrayals by the U.S.
      and multinational corporations filled with greed. His ideals are Threefold,
      Steinerian, or so it seems to me.)

      Thanks for this online journal!
      Pace e Bene,

    • Richard Distasi
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2000
        M.J. Sieber: Thanks for the web-link to C.A.D.I. The Steinerian Threefold
        Social Order seems to be taking on a more global reality and hopefully soon
        to be no longer practiced only a small experimental level. [rick distasi]