Re: [anthroposophy] RE: The Power of Media and The Dragoon's skin

  • Richard Distasi
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2000
      CIAO, ANDREA! I think that you raised some very poignant issues about the
      inundating electromagnetic (sub-astral/etheric) forces that surround us on
      an everyday basis. How does this affect our own etheric and astral bodies?
      Does it deaden them? In a time now in human history when the etheric and
      astral bodies are again beginning to slowly but steadily resurrect out of
      the mineral body (the tomb) is this EM poisoning of which you spoke
      hindering this process? Also, do the dead images of T.V., the movie screen,
      and the computer screen impact our higher bodies in such away that they
      obstruct and hinder the development of spiritual perception? A third factor
      is the content of that which people are exposed to today from these various
      forms of media and communication. They are mostly devoid of content that
      inspires higher thoughts from one's self. One can truly see the hand of
      Ahriman in all three factors. [rick distasi].
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2000
        > CIAO, ANDREA! I think that you raised some very poignant issues about
        > the inundating electromagnetic (sub-astral/etheric) forces that surround
        > us on an everyday basis. How does this affect our own etheric and astral
        > bodies? Does it deaden them?

        Heya Richard,

        I think you can pretty directly see the effect of television on the
        etheric when you plop your toddler down in front of Sesame Street. Instead
        of being a wiggly bundle of energy, the kid becomes a slack-jawed zombie.
        How this ultimately effects the development of the etheric, I can't
        say.... however, I will note that even 'mainstream' scientists such as
        Jane Healy (_Endangered Minds: Why Our Children Don't Think_ and _Failure
        to Connect_) are beginning to argue that the real danger of television for
        children is not in what it does (this zombie effect) but in what it
        seemingly prevents children from doing--- learning to use and control
        their bodies. Learning to speak. Learning to be social....

        Well, no doubt preaching to the choir on this, so....

        love & light,
        JoAnn

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Joel A. Wendt
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2000
          Dear List,

          I like the following discussion, but I did want to maintain some clarity of
          separation, for it is easy to get confused about some of this.

          There is a great difference between the modern means connected to Media
          (the technological apparatus), and the "social function" of Media, as that
          appears to a goethean (phenomonological) social science.

          Certainly the technological apparatus involves such things as "subnature"
          and the like, and spiritual science can say a lot about this. But the
          technology is a tool, and as Steiner has pointed out, we will have these tools
          (their coming into being cannot be avoided), so the real question is not their
          existence, but their "use".

          At present "media", as a functional process in the social organism, is
          "young". This being the case, the moral and conscious nature of its use is
          still in a formative stage - it is not fixed. The anthroposophical movement
          (in general) still sleeps with regard to "knowledge" of this social function,
          being captured by a fascination with the ahrimanic nature of the technology.
          This "fascination" is luciferic and ungrounded. Its causes are multiple and
          symptomatic of general disfunctions within the movement.

          The whole thing is potentially very tragic, because it is one of the roles
          of anthroposophically inclined individuals to help humanity awake to the
          realities active in the social. But the luciferic fascination with the
          arhimanic nature of modern culture creates an enormous bllind spot in the soul,
          disabling it from seeing social life objectively. See my essay: "Listening to
          the World Song: a Report on the Experience of an Idea":
          http://www.tiac.net/users/hermit/lttws.html

          warm regards
          joel

        • Danny F.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2000
            --- elaine upton <elaineupton@...> wrote:
            > What, for example, as occult exercises in the Western Tradition? Can
            > you say
            > more of what exercises work against EM poisoning? You or anyone else?

            There's something that work marvel and it is called flower essences.

            The flower as the result of the collaboration between the etheric
            and a being of/in the astral does, in the form of a vibrational
            remedy to be taken internally or through a bath, bridge in us
            astral and etheric, it can therefore be said of an auto-adaptable
            nature. I myself has been using an homeopathic remedy for a while,
            but I can say that it is not until today, after having "stolen" a
            few drops of 'Lotus' flower essence to my mother that it came to
            reach the potency and effect really expected. Many flower essences
            that work on the kind of poisoning mentioned above can be found at:
            http://www.pegasusproducts.com/Pegasus/

            If it sound too "New Age" and "magical" for you, be scientist and
            experiment by yourself, you'll see...

            Danny

            =====
            "Anthroposophy does not want to impart knowledge.
            It seeks to awaken life."

            --Rudolf Steiner

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • Richard Distasi
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2000
              Joel Wendt: I've read your post and thought that your points should be well
              taken. Your right in saying that it is easy to get caught up in a one-sided
              'luciferic fascination and possibly a luciferic wish to avoid all the
              technology that we have in are lives today. However, one needs to know what
              one is facing and therefore knowing what is the best course to take with
              modern technology. As you said much of it is in its infancy. I believe
              Steiner said that we do not have to be overcome by Ahriman and that we can,
              if we are 'aware', take what Ahriman has to offer and use it for our
              betterment. I also think, though, that it is very important to understand
              whether these technologies do impact our physical, etheric and astral bodies
              and if they do how do we find a 'balance' in it all.
              Again Joel, thanks for pointing out that we should not take a
              one-sided viewpoint and that we need to grow with what is coming to us and
              'consciously' shape it into ways and means of positive social interaction.
              [rick distasi]