New Issue of Southern Cross Review

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      For those interested in web-based initiatives...

      Dear Friends,

      Southern Cross Review Number 5 (May-June) is now on the web at

      http://www.SouthernCrossReview.org

      The accent in the "Social Issues" category is on Ute Craemer. SCR has been
      serializing her book, "Favela Children", since issue one and will continue
      to do so until its end. However, the dramatic events of the past months,
      which resulted in Ute having to leave Brazil temporarily, convinced me of
      the necessity of informing SCR readers now.Therefore a new article by her
      appears this month as the lead story, followed by three chapters of
      "Favela Children".

      Paul Carline takes on modern Darwinism (not evolution as such) in his
      important, clearly expressed article which will be of great interest to
      everyone who has ever doubted Darwinism, but fears being taken for a
      "creationist". Also in the "Science" category, is the last chapter of
      Michael Friedjung's book, "Putting Soul into Science". Previous chapters
      are available in "Back Issues".

      As promised last time, there is more information from the "Alliance for
      Childhood" in the form of an essay by Colleen Cortes, of special interest
      to educators and parents. The Alliance dares to swim against the current
      of technology in education.

      Fiction comes on strong with four short stories. One by me (as usual)
      about terrorist times in Argentina and some of the people who lived
      through that. Barbara Lefcowitz is back with another Polish story. But
      wait...Polish? Who ever heard of a Polish Tango? Read it and find out. In
      "Waffle House Blues", Michael Sandler combines realistic atmosphere with
      the telling of something true about the human condition. And Garry
      Dwyer-Joyce places his "Relunctant Marksman" in the chaos of Eastern
      Europe where death dances with a fading morality.

      In the Children's Corner you'll find a story by Gaither Stewart about a
      little Mexican boy and his mother. It's one of those stories that will
      interest everyone, children and adults alike. In fact, I was in doubt as
      to whether the children's category is the right place for it. But now that
      it's there, it looks right. Hope you agree. The other children's piece,
      "The Tiny Totem", by Tomius Strauss is more a musing than a story, but so
      charming that I couldn't resist it.

      The Poetry section resorts to a master who is more known for his essays
      than his poetry, but who has a lot to say in both fields: Ralph Waldo
      Emerson. Also a tongue-in-cheeker by me.

      The "Philosophy" section will probably be a one-time affair, since it
      definitively answers the question: Why did Chicken Cross the Road?

      "Back Issues" illustrates one of the advantages of the web: if you read a
      print magazine, once finished you usually throw it away - or, if you want
      to keep it you clog up your house with yellowing paper. Here in SCR you
      have a free library to browse in any time you like - and it doesn't even
      clog your hard disk. You may be interested in knowing that the number of
      "hits" enjoyed by SCR has been steadily increasing. The last issue (4) had
      1,170, which doesn't mean that all those people read every item. The total
      hits on the stories and articles was 1,450.

      Kind regards,

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://www.SouthernCrossReview.org

      http://im.yahoo.com/