smoking karma

  • daniel bernard
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi to every one,
                               i'm asking an other question, now i know taht this group has a large potential of wisdom et knowlege. so my question is: i smoke tobaco, and i'm asking what this smoke do to my etherique body and more, what can it be the karma consequence of this bad habit.
      if anyone smoker antroposophe please
      give me a breath of light
      Thank
      Daniel

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
        RS enjoyed the odd cigar. Just remember to take at least a minimal care
        of your body. Auntie Heather never told anyone to give up smoking - they
        just did not look for a cigarette when sticking to her diet. The proper
        nutrition subsumed the craving. Comfrey and mallow.

        Maurice

        daniel bernard wrote:

        > Hi to every one,
        > i'm asking an other question, now i know taht
        > this group has a large potential of wisdom et knowlege. so my question
        > is: i smoke tobaco, and i'm asking what this smoke do to my etherique
        > body and more, what can it be the karma consequence of this bad habit.
        > if anyone smoker antroposophe please
        > give me a breath of light
        > Thank
        > Daniel
      • snowplank
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2003
          Hi Maurice,

          I will pass this on to a friend who is trying to give up smoking
          rather unsuccessfully. May I ask whether you know of anywhere that
          one may obtain these herbs. I ask as someone who is very new to
          natural remedies (but as you know, is keen to learn). I wouldn't know
          what a Conmfrey or Mallow looked like even though I may be scraping
          them off my feet each day!

          Many thanks.

          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Maurice McCarthy
          <maurice.mccarthy@n...> wrote:
          > RS enjoyed the odd cigar. Just remember to take at least a minimal care
          > of your body. Auntie Heather never told anyone to give up smoking -
          they
          > just did not look for a cigarette when sticking to her diet. The proper
          > nutrition subsumed the craving. Comfrey and mallow.
          >
          > Maurice
          >
          > daniel bernard wrote:
          >
          > > Hi to every one,
          > > i'm asking an other question, now i know
          taht
          > > this group has a large potential of wisdom et knowlege. so my
          question
          > > is: i smoke tobaco, and i'm asking what this smoke do to my etherique
          > > body and more, what can it be the karma consequence of this bad habit.
          > > if anyone smoker antroposophe please
          > > give me a breath of light
          > > Thank
          > > Daniel
        • Maurice McCarthy
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2003
            Hi Paul and Bruce,

            Weight loss is probably in some way due to its cleansing properties, the
            healthy body being a process and not a thing.

            They've been and gone and changed the email address at work so it is now
            maurice.mccarthy@... rather than
            maurice.mccarthy@....

            Comfrey is usually looked upon as a nuisance and rooted out but the one
            place you will find it is in an allotment where they often grow it for
            fertiliser. (It was the sole ingredient of the original garden fertiliser.
            It is a big, hairy ugly beautiful plant. Sometimes I have found it in old
            church yards (they are very often a wonderful resource as they habitually
            had many kinds of growth their. Elder as the tree of life, and an ancient
            panacea. Yew as the tree of death, its leaves poisonous to cattle and
            sheep.) If you know a biodynamic gardener ask for a cutting. Henry
            Doubleday's near Birmingham are a good and long established organic
            supplier. (They have a hybrid Russian/English variety said to be very sturdy
            indeed.)

            Mallow is most often found as a road side plant. But the marsh mallow is
            equally as effective. (Modern marshmallow is utterly synthetic and takes its
            name from the plant. It makes a thick, syrupy liquid which when whisked with
            honey was used as a sweet dish.)

            The common mallow is in flower now but will be dying off in a month. The
            flower is purple, five petals with dark central "veining" on each petal. The
            leaves can resemble those of the begonia, with five rounded lobes but no
            dark ring. The leaves can be more deeply lobed and serrated on vigorous
            plants. Yet the marsh mallow has much narrower leaves. Indeed it is
            difficult to give a very accurate description without showing you one. Once
            you've seen it you'll know it. Get a book from the library for a picture.

            To Begin with most anything might help - dandelion and nettle are the two
            most important herbs in the UK. But if your friend must resort to dried
            comfrey make it very strong (it tastes foul) It is the comfrey which seems
            to replace the nourishment in this case.

            The nettle carries oxygen to the lungs (unbelievably Heather was adamant
            that oxygen is put into the body through the stomach!!) It will throw any
            phlegm off the chest and generally improve the breathing.

            You can buy Friar's Balsam from any chemist for about 60p. It is marked 'not
            for internal use'. If you take the smallest drop that you can, cut it in
            half, then soak up the 1/2 with say sugar and eat it then the balsam will go
            to the lungs and coat them in such a manner that any internal laceration can
            be felt. (I have done this to myself and it is a little unpleasant but it
            passes.) The only point is to give you a gauge of how badly the lungs are
            damaged.

            Ladle cinnamon onto your bowl of porridge in the winter to protect the chest
            from the cold.

            Hope this helps

            Maurice McCarthy
            home email <maurice.mccarthy@...>
            work email <maurice.mccarthy@...>

            I will pass this on to a friend who is trying to give up smoking
            rather unsuccessfully. May I ask whether you know of anywhere that
            one may obtain these herbs. I ask as someone who is very new to
            natural remedies (but as you know, is keen to learn). I wouldn't know
            what a Comfrey or Mallow looked like even though I may be scraping

            <maurice.mccarthy@n...> wrote:
            > RS enjoyed the odd cigar. Just remember to take at least a minimal care
            > of your body. Auntie Heather never told anyone to give up smoking -
            they
            > just did not look for a cigarette when sticking to her diet. The proper
            > nutrition subsumed the craving. Comfrey and mallow.
            >
            > Maurice
            >
            > daniel bernard wrote:
            >
            > > Hi to every one,
            > > i'm asking an other question, now i know
            taht
            > > this group has a large potential of wisdom et knowlege. so my
            question
            > > is: i smoke tobaco, and i'm asking what this smoke do to my etherique
            > > body and more, what can it be the karma consequence of this bad habit.
            > > if anyone smoker antroposophe please
            > > give me a breath of light
            > > Thank
            > > Daniel

          • Maurice McCarthy
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2003
              ps

              Heather reckoned that the nettle contained Zinc. Zinc and iron generally
              work together in the body, I think.

              Maurice

            • Lee Peters
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 5, 2003
                Daniel,

                I cannot answer from first hand knowledge but can offer this true story Christian mystical teacher in the early part of the 20th century mentioned this event:
                When doing work in the spiritual worlds he would often meet others from his life who were connected to his particular path- Rosicrucian Christianity. He met a man in the street one day and mentioned something that happened the "night" before. The man did not understand  what the reference was to, so this teacher passed on. He was curious why this man did not remember the encounter and circumstances from the journey the night before. The next night he investigated the man's inner constitution and found that he was a heavy cigar smoker. He then described the effect of cigar and cigarettes: the use of them is deadly to the finer connections between the brain and the etheric currents associated with the brain and especially spiritual memory. Smoke "sits" and collects  and gradually creates a permanent smoke like fog or mist in the etheric body and thus forms a barrier between subtle communications while in the physical form. Incidentally, Ram Das mentioned a similar experience in his post drug teaching days as a young Yogi. After many acid hits, he turned to Yoga and meditation. During meditation practice he encountered a huge and thorny energy knot at the top of his spine leading to the skull. It was very difficult to unravel this and create a free flow of energy through the chakras and spine. In short, the effects are well know and they are not positive. Like alcohol, smoking is a deadener of sensitivity and damage the connections between the etheric body and the physical organs. Besides, it is well known that cigarettes contribute to lung cancer!
                And this former teacher (mentioned earlier) commented that the cigar smoker may had sacrificed this life in regards to ever regaining  clairvoyance and retaining spiritual memory of work at "night" in the spiritual worlds.

                Lee

                daniel bernard <fantomeurbain@...> wrote:
                Hi to every one,
                                         i'm asking an other question, now i know that this group has a large potential of wisdom et knowledge. so my question is: i smoke tobacco, and i'm asking what this smoke do to my etheric body and more, what can it be the karma consequence of this bad habit.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2003
                  Maurice,

                  I said it a few weeks ago mate, but I'm going to say it again: I
                  could read this stuff all day.

                  Thanks,

                  Paul

                  <Maurice.McCarthy@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > that oxygen is put into the body through the stomach!!) It will
                  throw any
                  > phlegm off the chest and generally improve the breathing.
                  >
                  > You can buy Friar's Balsam from any chemist for about 60p. It is
                  marked 'not
                  > for internal use'. If you take the smallest drop that you can, cut it in
                  > half, then soak up the 1/2 with say sugar and eat it then the balsam
                  will go
                  > to the lungs and coat them in such a manner that any internal
                  laceration can
                  > be felt. (I have done this to myself and it is a little unpleasant
                  but it
                  > passes.) The only point is to give you a gauge of how badly the
                  lungs are
                  > damaged.
                  >
                  > Ladle cinnamon onto your bowl of porridge in the winter to protect

                • snowplank
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 6, 2003
                    Hi Lee,

                    Very interesting. May I ask what the Christian mystical teacher's
                    name was?

                    Also, to throw another angle on to it, did Steiner (or any other
                    reliable conscious clairvoyant) ever mention the effects of cannabis,
                    opium or other drugs that were around at the time. I mention this
                    because obviously newer, synthesised drugs such as MDMA were not
                    availble for spiritual investigation.

                    Paul

                  • 888
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 6, 2003
                      Hi Maurice,
                      > Comfrey is usually looked upon as a nuisance and rooted out but the
                      one
                      > place you will find it is in an allotment where they often grow it
                      for
                      > fertiliser.

                      Comfrey was banned in Australia in the 70s. If I remember rightly, it
                      is a liver poison when used in excess. So be careful how much you
                      take!

                      We can still grow it and have it for our personal use, so all is not
                      lost.

                      > > RS enjoyed the odd cigar.

                      As discussed before on this list he also used snuff. There were a few
                      prominent students of Dr. Steiner's that smoked. The first leader of
                      the society after Dr. Steiner died was a smoker.

                      Blavatsky of course, was a heavy smoker.

                      Smoking was not prohibited in either Steiner's or Blavatsky's
                      Esoteric Section- alcohol was.

                      I'm not saying that smoking is OK for your health, it's just that it
                      doesn't appear to a problem when the student is undertaking esoteric
                      exercises.

                      Dr. Steiner did talk about the effects of nictotine. It tends to
                      speed up the thinking processes so that one is inclined to go from A
                      to Z without thoroughly considering the Bs, Cs & Qs etc. It can also
                      lead to paranoia ( which is part of the aforementioned problem).

                      There are some very interesting comments on opium in one of the
                      lectures- to workers on the Goetheanum I think.

                      Greetings,
                      Bruce
                    • Maurice McCarthy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 6, 2003
                        About Comfrey

                        I seem to remember a similar scare in UK many years ago. Heather scoffed at
                        the whole idea of course, but you'd guess that anyhow. One other way of
                        using comfrey is to lay it on a cut. A very heavy, late middle-aged woman I
                        knew had cut her arm but had comfrey on the garden. Heather cleaned the
                        wound, took an entire leaf and laid it over the cut. (It prickles as the
                        hairs go into the skin but then you feel nothing.) then put a light bandage
                        over it. She gave instruction to change the leaf every 4 to 6 hours. Only
                        the veins come off, as if the whole of the rest of the leaf has been
                        absorbed into the skin. The wound healed remarkably quickly.

                        Maurice

                        Comfrey was banned in Australia in the 70s. If I remember rightly, it
                        is a liver poison when used in excess. So be careful how much you
                        take!

                        We can still grow it and have it for our personal use, so all is not
                        lost.
                        --------------------------

                      • Maurice McCarthy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 7, 2003
                          Bruce wrote:

                          Comfrey was banned in Australia in the 70s. If I remember rightly, it
                          is a liver poison when used in excess. So be careful how much you
                          take!
                          ---------------------------

                          To be more explicit about Heather's answer to such things, first she'd come
                          out with something sarcastic like, "Don't eat that it might be poisonous.
                          Let's go the supermarket instead and really fill you full of filth." and
                          then she'd slowly explain ... "Have you ever wondered why no farmer eats
                          his own produce any more? They go to the supermarket like any one else. ...
                          It's because they know what chemicals they are putting on it but they can
                          pretend otherwise in the shop."

                          "I give food by the gallon. It is already well diluted and there is no way
                          you could drink enough fresh comfrey to harm yourself. The Russian peasants
                          eat it right into November as it is the last vegetable to go under in the
                          harsh winter. How did they come to their findings about comfrey? Did they
                          force feed a rabbit with it's own weight of the stuff day after day? Dig out
                          the original research methods and you'll find them lacking, I'm sure."

                          Note to Paul (snowplank)
                          You can get dried marshmallow - though as I've said before these dried
                          products are only a standby in the winter when there is nothing about. You'd
                          have to order it in bulk, at least a kilo probably, from your herbalist. It
                          is usually Hungarian.

                          Love and Best Wishes
                          Maurice

                        • Lee Peters
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 8, 2003
                            snowplank <snowplank@...> wrote:

                            Who was this teacher and what about comments about natural and synthesized drugs like MDA.

                            Paul,

                            The "teacher" was Max Heindel of the Rosicrucian Fellowship and acknowledged as a seer in the same tradition (Western Christian Esoteric) as Steiner. He is seen as an outsider by Anthroposophists I believe.  I have found his basic works and spiritual insight right on the mark (though like others from this time period, there is a Victorian ring to the style and thinking).

                            Other drugs were not discussed directly but by implication with the effects of alcohol. Psychotropic drugs whether "natural" or synthesized drive the etheric and physical body apart and the soul being (who we are really) is caught in "an in between state" of consciousness that we cannot control or get out of. This condition creates a psychic space  for elementals and other psychic influences can enter our bodies and soul bodies. This is not to promote fear but just a fact. We apparently don't always sense these intrusions because they are unconscious to us (but during the high, most can feel their influence and flowing in and out of the etheric and physical body). In addition, the damage and disruption of psychotropic drugs is well known as it impacts brain chemistry, lowers glucose levels and may damage neurons in the brain. Long term use is also patently clear- damage and personal devastation. But there is little research on the metaphysical side. Heindel, when observing bar scenes clairvoyantly, would describes droves of elementals and deceased drunkards hovering and seeping up the fumes and psychic forces of the those in the bar. It was a disturbing sight. In this "loosened condition" between the physical and etheric (and astral body spreading out in a bliss state) the individual is not able to function properly between soul and body and can create a long term condition often seen with alcoholics even when they are not drunk. We can notice that when they walk, they reach out with their feet but are not coordinating the movement to the feet and ground. I am sure we have all seen this. The metaphysical reason seems to be: a semi permanent separation has occurred between the astral functions, the etheric body and the physical. The will to move is there but the connection and flow into the etheric pathways into the nervous systems to muscles is disrupted.  This is turn can lead to serious long term organic problems with the liver, kidneys, etc. because the true functions of the astral body are disabled and cannot interact properly with the organs in the body as they should. Medical science would point to organ diseases or neurological problems (which is the case) but the origins of these conditions is all related to psychic constitutional problems.

                            Lee

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                          • Maurice McCarthy
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 8, 2003
                              The first time we met Heather's patient was looking askance at mallow and
                              comfrey. She said, "It's perfectly safe. You can live on mallow. You'll find
                              it in Job. In fact, there's a lot of good advice on food if you look hard
                              enough."

                              King James Version: Job 30.

                              3. For want of famine they were solitary; fleeing into the wilderness in
                              former time desolate and waste.
                              4. Who cut up mallows by the bushes, and juniper roots for their meat.

                              Maurice

                            • snowplank
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                                Thanks Lee.