RE: [anthroposophy] Patrick Flanagan

  • Maurice McCarthy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2, 2003
      Bradford quoted

      TREVOR JAMES CONSTABLE

      "Eight 8-ounce glasses daily is the recommended regimen advocated by
      Dr. Batmanghelidj, to keep the human body fully hydrated. For each
      cup of coffee or other caffeinated drink, an additional, compensating
      eight-ounce glass of water is required."

      This is exactly the quantity Heather demanded her patients drink of her
      teas. "Minimum," she would say, to make sure that they did.

      "... The horrific
      wheezing of an asthmatic, which is one of the most embarrassing and
      distressing things anyone can witness, is similarly the body crying
      for water. Dr. Batmanghelidj has demonstrated that asthma is due to
      the body's natural histamines constricting the lungs to limit any
      further loss of water via the breath. The person so afflicted is
      desperately dehydrated. In the prison environment in Iran, adequate
      water provided a cure for asthma - one of the astonishing clinical
      results that first started Dr. Batmanghelidj thinking about the
      medicinal power of water."

      The two most important herbs in the whole of Britain are the commonest
      weeds. The stinging nettle and the dandelion. "Most people think you take
      oxygen through the lungs, you don't, you take it through the stomach.
      Nettles carry oxygen to the lung so that it can then work properly. Nettles
      clean the sewerage of the whole body, the lymphatic system. You wouldn't
      live in a house with a blocked toilet would you? So why live in a body with
      one? It is not true that the thymus atrophies with age. It atrophies with
      malnutrition. The cure is the nettle. You should wash your hair in nettle
      tea. Bathe yourself in it." It feels odd with no suds but I guarantee you it
      works.

      "The dandelion cleans the liver. The liver cleans the blood. The blood
      cleans its own arteries. Bypasses are useless. All disease is in the blood."
      Drinking dandelion does indeed make you pass a lot of water but it is
      cleaning you out.

      " Eat according to the seasons. When the nut is on the tree take it off and
      eat it. Freshly picked nuts are the cure for osteoporosis. They say it is a
      hormone deficiency but that too is malnutrition. Sit down at night and
      shell then eat a couple of pounds of nuts. No healthy bone is brittle but
      tough."

      Maurice McCarthy
      home email <maurice.mccarthy@...>
      work email <maurice.mccarthy@...>

    • snowplank
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2003
        The review of Dr. Batmanghelidj's book is amazing. Thanks for that
        Bradford.

        I have been keeping an eye on the Clustered Water phenomenon for 2
        years now and I have to say that I am intensely sceptical of the
        companies who market and sell it. I admit that I could be 'throwing
        the baby out with the bath water' so to speak, as there could well be
        something in the clustered water theory, but I have a feeling about it
        that just won't go away. The following website lists one sceptic's
        inquiry...
        http://www.ntskeptics.org/2001/2001january/january2001.htm#cluster

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66" <holderlin66@h...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        reduce
        > the surface tension of purified water allowing greater conductivity
        > in body fluids. Therefore, not only is the water rendered more
        useful
        > to the body, but the negative hydride ions also act as a potent
        > antioxidant. Thus both essential needs of the body, proper cellular
        > hydration and free radical scavenging are accomplished by using
        this
        > one product.
        >
        > Research has also shown that water has "memory" and that the shape
        of
        > the water molecule has a great influence on how the water is
        > assimmilated in the body. When "healing waters" from around the
        world
        > are examined on a molecular scale their structure tends to form a
        > beautifully symetrica six pointed star. In the few locations where
        > these specific waters do exist naturally, the people are known to
        > lead long, vibrant lives without many of the health problems that
        are
        > prevalent in western society. See article on Clustered Water ™"
        >
        > Bradford comments;
        >
        > Chromotography was used by Pfeiffer to determine the cohesive
        > nutrional value of various supermarket and biodynamic foods. The
        > Formative forces, the etheric formative forces made a visible
        picture
        > of the nutritional cohesion of the tested foods. One could see the
        > formative forces, just as one can enter the Hydrogen and Iron
        forces
        > of the Sun and see the glacier and crystal snow flake formations
        with
        > Hexagon, foundational life force imagery. What surprises I had when
        > working with Dr. Scharf in Spring Valley and Erica the old woman
        who
        > took up Dr. Pfieffers work. Carrots tasted more than carrots,
        apples
        > more than apples.. tomatoes more than tomatoes one could experience
        > biodyamic tastes all the way down to ones toes.
        >
        > The facts are that Water, drinking lots and lots of water would
        take
        > out many of the ailments humanity suffers from. Fast Food,
        > Hydroginated Fats and all kinds of sugar laced soft drinks are the
        > kind of poison condition that the soul is embedded in which fights
        > against the human being even developing higher faculties of
        thinking.

        > Your Body's Many Cries for Water
        > by Feyedoon Batmanghelidj M.D.
        >
        > A Book Review by
        > TREVOR JAMES CONSTABLE
        >
        > "RARE indeed are those books destined to become all-time classics.
        > Even rarer are books destined to accomplish a paradigm shift in any
        > major area of modern knowledge. Of still greater rarity are books
        > destined to benefit significantly the health of countless millions
        of
        > human beings, at no cost to them. Such a landmark book is Your
        Body's
        > Many Cries for Water by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj. He is a
        London-educated
        > Iranian medical doctor who has made revolutionary discoveries about
        > the water metabolism of the human body. His astounding basic
        > breakthrough was made while he was confined to a Teheran prison,
        this
        > being a unique circumstance in itself.
        >
        > Dr. Batmanghelidj is of aristocratic lineage in his native Iran,
        and
        > when the Shah was overthrown, the doctor was arrested and jailed
        with
        > more than 3,000 other well-born victims of the Khomeini revolution.
        > While these unfortunates wore awaiting execution, Dr. Batmanghelidj
        > was assigned as their medical officer — pending his own
        appearance
        > before a firing squad. He had no medical resources other than
        water,
        > in an environment pervaded by stress and terror. Indeed, the doctor
        > found himself incarcerated in a gigantic stress laboratory.
        >
        > This became the milieu in which fundamental discoveries were made
        > regarding the medicinal and functional value of water. These are
        > discoveries that have eluded giant medical trusts, vast hospital
        > complexes, battalions of medical professors, universities that
        boast
        > about their sophisticated research facilities, and all the vaunted
        > resources of the pharmaceutical industry. None of them, or indeed,
        > all of them combined, were capable: of penetrating to the bedrock
        of
        > human health: adequate daily water intake.
        >
        > Without realizing it initially, Dr. Batmanghelidj was working with
        > clinical controls in place. Prison discipline enabled him to follow
        > up his patients, who had no possibility of evasion. Forced to use
        > water medicinally, and water alone, Dr. Batmanghelidj was
        astonished
        > in following up his patients, to find that water was effecting full
        > cures of diverse, normally ineradicable diseases. These cures
        > occurred in a complete fashion not seen in response to medication,
        > which "treats" or "controls" such recalcitrant and diverse diseases
        > as asthma, arthritis, high blood pressure and ulcers. Official
        > medicine has only palliatives for these conditions, not cures.
        >
        > If such diseases do not bother you personally, just ask anyone so
        > afflicted how frustrating it is to be perpetually treated but never
        > cured, by doctors who are manifestly flummoxed by such diseases.
        This
> [...]
        > The fallout from Dr. Batmanghelidj's exertions included a large
        > number of completely cured persons who had been chronically
        afflicted
        > with "incurable" diseases. Medical doctors were among these people.
        >
        > Slowly but surely, numerous intelligent medical doctors and
        > researchers who studied his work, overcame the same embarrassment
        > that had consumed Dr. Batmanghelidj, when he first began
        > comprehending the cardinal role of water in human health and
        > functioning. Like Dr. Batmanghelidj, these enlightened physicians
        > came to realize that medicine was confronting a fundamental
        paradigm
        > shift. Some of these board-certified physicians are quoted in the
        > book. More physicians are recognizing this central truth as the
        > months pass.
        >
        > Nothing so radical, in the root-meaning of that word, had ever
        > happened to medical knowledge in the history of the world. Chronic
        > dehydration was being identified as the fundamental matrix from
        which
        > most human diseases emerge. This book will leave you in no doubt
        that
        > America's deplorable and desperate health care crisis is born of
        > dehydration, midwifed by medical inability to deal effectively with
        > diseases whose etiology in dehydration is not understood. Almost
        > every disease arising out of dehydration is attacked with
        medication,
        > or combinations of medications. Sickness therefore proliferates,
        > while the sick cry out in many different ways for water — cries
        > which doctors are deaf.
        >
        > Countless ingrained cultural and social customs of modern America,
        > such as not drinking sufficient water, and guzzling phenomenal
        > quantities of diuretic soft drinks and diuretic coffee and tea,
        > reinforce chronic dehydration as the number one health menace in
        > America. Dr. Batmanghelidj emphasizes that drinking coffee, soft
        > drinks and juices does not counter dehydration or meet the body's
        > water needs. The only way out is by drinking water.
        >
        > Elusive and seemingly unrelated conditions like dyspeptic pain,
        > stress and depression, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure,
        > excess body weight, chronic fatigue, arthritis, asthma and
        allergies,
        > insulin-independent diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, back problems
        and
        > a host of lesser complaints that bedevil human beings, have all
        > yielded to the ingestion of adequate daily water. Dr. Batmanghelidj
        > identifies Alzheimer's as due to dehydration of the brain.
        >
        > Eight 8-ounce glasses daily is the recommended regimen advocated by
        > Dr. Batmanghelidj, to keep the human body fully hydrated. For each
        > cup of coffee or other caffeinated drink, an additional,
        compensating
        > eight-ounce glass of water is required.
        >
        > Perhaps the most welcome and convincing finding of Dr.
        Batmanghelidj
        > is the key role played by dehydration in creating back ailments in
        > human beings. The spinal discs consist of about eighty percent
        water.
        > When these discs atrophy through varying degrees of dehydration, an
        > afflicted human is off on one of the most miserable medical
        merry-go-
        > rounds known to man. The human spine has to support about 75
        percent
        > of body weight. Without fully-hydrated and resilient spinal discs,
        > the spine cannot perform its function properly. "Back problems"
        > ensue. Abnormal physical and nervous pressures develop and
        vertebrae
        > become misplaced as the spinal discs collapse. In the U.S.A., such
        > back problems are now on an epidemic scale, largely defy physicians
        > and surgeons, and endlessly persecute the afflicted.
        >
        > Dr. Batmanghelidj has found that rehydration restores the integrity
        > and resilience of the spinal discs. Simple exercises he has
        devised,
        > create a natural vacuum effect: that draws the needed water back
        into
        > the discs, whose proper bearing function is thereby eventually
        > normalized. Contrast this with the dead-end, mechanistic "back
        > surgery" that now consumes hundreds of millions of dollars in
        > surgeons' fees and hospital costs every year.
        >
        > Back pains are among the body's many cries for water, from which
        Dr.
        > Batmanghelidj's book has appropriately taken its title. The
        horrific
        > wheezing of an asthmatic, which is one of the most embarrassing and
        > distressing things anyone can witness, is similarly the body crying
        > for water. Dr. Batmanghelidj has demonstrated that asthma is due to
        > the body's natural histamines constricting the lungs to limit any
        > further loss of water via the breath. The person so afflicted is
        > desperately dehydrated. In the prison environment in Iran, adequate
        > water provided a cure for asthma — one of the astonishing
        clinical
        > results that first started Dr. Batmanghelidj thinking about the
        > medicinal power of water.
        >
        > Dr. Batmanghelidj views the way hypertension is classically treated
        > as "scientific absurdity". The dehydrated body is desperately
        trying
        > to hang on to its water volume. Uncomprehending physicians
        intervene
        > with diuretics and literally force more water out of an already
        > dehydrated body. The author gives lucid, comprehensible
        descriptions
        > of the exquisite hydraulic design and engineering of the human
        body,
        > and the diverse functions of the cells, capillaries and membranes
        as
        > they operate to compensate for dehydration. If the body's many
        cries
        > for water are ignored, as they are in contemporary America,
        > degenerative diseases are the inevitable consequence. A congress
        > scrabbling to deal financially with an avalanche of degenerative
        > disease, is verification enough that the time has come for a new
        > medical paradigm."
      • snowplank
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3, 2003
          Hi Maurice,

          Like Jan, I am fascinated by your connection to Heather and your
          snippets of information pertaining to herbal remedies. May I ask
          whether you know of any books I may read to acquire such knowledge?
          Also, how do you suggest I prepare nettle tea and dandelion tea? I
          realise that this may seem like a ridiculous question (if it simply
          involves boiling the leaves) but I come from a generation who know
          absolutely nothing of these things. Herbal remedies to my social
          peers consist of either smoking "jazz cigarettes" or possibly green
          tea ;o)

          Cheers,

          Paul

          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Maurice McCarthy

          **************************

          > This e-mail message may contain privileged/confidential
          information.
          > It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the
          indicated
          > addressee (or responsible for delivery to such a person)
          > you shall neither read nor retain this message, copy or distribute
          it to
          > anyone, or use this e-mail for any other purpose. In such cases,
          please
          > destroy the message immediately and notify the sender by return
          e-mail.

          **************************
        • Maurice McCarthy
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3, 2003
            Hi Paul, you asked about Heather and books.

            I know of none. The only book I saw in her possession was the Royal
            Horticultural Book of Plants and Herbs. Many of the things she did with
            herbs were utterly different to the traditional uses listed there. She had
            read all the traditional herbalists, from the ancient Greeks to Culpepper
            etc., and like him used astrology to assist her work, which was her life.
            What infuriated her most was that modern doctors do not abide by the
            Hippocratic oath and harm their patients deliberately. "Question any ward
            sister closely and you'll see that I am right. Iatrogenic genic diseases are
            rife. Worse, their diagnoses are like the children's game 'pinning the tail
            on the donkey'. They are blind to what is before their eyes. ... The most
            damnable things are radiotherapy and chemotherapy. There is no natural cure
            for the damage they cause. I've racked my brains, tried everything. Nothing
            works. A natural disease or accident has a natural cure. ... The worst thing
            in the home is the microwave." (Heather herself would not even have a
            fridge.) "The microwave destroys the living goodnes in food, an invention of
            the devil. Its bad enough that babies drink from bottles but to microwave it
            for convenience as well is disastrous. It may even be the cause of rising
            childhood asthema."

            As for preparation boil nothing. The only exception being silver birch twigs
            which are just coming into leaf. The silver birch cleanses the blood after
            the winter, "Red Indian medicine." This should be simmered as gently as
            possible for half an hour. Once the leaves are out use those. In fact she
            would use almost any part of a plant. "They tell you not to pick plants
            because 'they could harm you' then shovel chemicals in your food. There are
            only 8 or 9 green plants that can harm you in this country (UK)." She did
            seem to have a distrust of mushrooms though. Whether that was farmed
            mushrooms only or not I never found out.

            The only thing I ever saw her dilute was nettle tea for a dog. She halved it
            with water. Children were given the same things as adults and in the same
            strength, even new born babies. Nettles she tore up with her bare hands.
            They were tough from rising early and collecting several times a week.
            Gather a carrier bag full of nettles, I use gardening gauntlets myself. The
            stinging hairs collect dust so I find it best to wash them. (You should have
            seen the dirty look she gave me when I put them under the tap. "What are you
            putting that filth on them for?" "But Heather, they are covered in dust!"
            She shrugged her shoulders and let me get on with it.) Chop then on a board
            to make the tea stronger and put them into the biggest pan you have. Pour on
            boiling water or fill with water and only just bring to the boil and remove
            the heat. Keep a lid on - the essential oils are very important.

            It turns a pale yellowish green after 10 mins and should have a very light
            refreshing taste. Left over night it has a very dark even black green
            colour. This is the only tea I don't put lemon in. It seems to curdle the
            chlorophyll. As I've said, the nettle is the idea of cleanliness made
            life-form and, whereas with anything else the leaves etc can usually be used
            2 or 3 times and, though weaker, some benefit is obtained but in the case of
            the nettle it seems to self-clean its own leaves and I find it insipid if
            used more than once. If it tastes off it is off, so put it on the garden or
            on house plants and not down the sink. Return to the Earth what it has given
            you.

            The first time I tasted nettle it was like a dead weight on my stomach. "You
            really need it then. Drink another pint." A small ailment which I'd had
            since childhood, "bubbles in the legs", disappeared and has never returned.
            The nettle now tastes clean and refreshing to me. Light. Once they start
            dying back after flowering they should not be used. You will see it because
            they turn black and 'mouldy' looking. Once when I was feeling dreadful from
            too much alcolhol the night before ("Absolutely no alcohol." But she
            produced a bottle of sloe wine she'd made herself at Christmas time. She
            never ever mentioned smoking. Her patients usually just did not look for
            cigarettes if they kept to the treatment. It was keeping them too it which
            was frustrating. "The body can be cured but there is no cure for the head!")
            so I drank a pint of silver birch, a pint of nettle and then another silver
            birch, the silver birch with a whole lemon each time, and I was feeling on
            top of the world in no time. I would not recommend it as regular practice
            though, there could easily have been contingent factors.

            Herbs are usually additive, you can put them in together. Her cauldron
            (literally, she had a small cauldron perpetually on the stove) had holly,
            ivy (N.B. British ivy and NOT US poison ivy) crab apples - not too many -
            and heaven knows what always on the go. Elder is a panacea and very good at
            balancing female hormones. Leaves, flowers or berries. The elder is the
            tree of life found in every old church yard with its counterpart the yew, as
            soft as death.

            Couch grass gives you protein. "From spring to autumn all you need buy is
            porridge. You can live easily off the land as long as you have clean water
            and a little carbohydrate. Hawthorn clears blood clots and conditions the
            blood against thromboses. It is not recommended to tell the wife that you
            are going out to look for haws though, she might take it the wrong way. The
            dandelion is also the cure for warts. Put its milky juice on every hour or
            two until they turn black and eventually fall off after a few days. The same
            thing happens with nitrogen freezing as used in surgeries now. "Chamomile is
            the best source of calcium." !! (I don't think you'll find that in any herb
            book.)

            Must go to bed, I'm changing from nightshift to dayshift

            Maurice McCarthy
            maurice.mccarthy@...
            maurice.mccarthy@...

          • Maurice McCarthy
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 3, 2003
              Paul,

              Chop the nettles to make the brew stronger. Heather used to sieve them into
              a funnel with an old pair of nylons to remove the scum. She'd give patients
              5 litres at a time. The point she wanted to instill was to adopt her
              'treatments' as a food life-style. To contiue it forever. Few if any had the
              strength of will to do this. Roy Castle is a grand example. The British
              entertainer had a 'miraculous' recovery from cancer but lapsed in his ways.
              He did not have the gall to go back and beg her help because she always
              insisted she'd help no one twice. But she would if there was a chance they
              would not repeat their mistakes. Indeed her own cancer was not helped by the
              fact that she did not always practice what she preached.

              Maurice

            • snowplank
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 4, 2003
                Many thanks Maurice. I could read this stuff all day!