RE: [anthroposophy] Heather

  • Maurice McCarthy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      Dear Jan,

      You will have realised that the tale was especially for yourself in your
      situation. Essentially living in South Wales for over 30 years now, I'm
      adopted by the national spirit. Unable to do anything for you, I could only
      say, "I know your pain." It was second nature to tell an intimate story that
      I've never broadcast before.

      Artistic feeling has never been my strong point and the Ancient Mariner was
      one of the very few works I enjoyed in school. So your offerings to the list
      are very well received in this quarter. Now and again a work of art strikes
      me most forcefully and this is occurring more frequently as I become
      acquainted with anthroposophic ideas.

      Last October I paid my first visit to Portmeirion where the Prisoner was
      filmed. Seen the series, knew the sights, expected nothing. My wife, second
      wife, dearly wanted to go, though she didn't say so. It was the most
      beautiful, clear, sunny day. It could have been August. Thus I was totally
      unprepared for the way Ellis's architecture completely over-awed me.

      "Cherish the past, adorn the present, construct for the future."
      The personal motto of William Clough Ellis.

      I gawped open-mouthed for 20 minutes or half an hour. Switching attention to
      myself it felt as if I were just under a great waterfall gently pouring,
      streaming nourishment into the depths of my soul. Never have I experienced
      anything like it and my mind returns to it again. Somehow I just knew it
      could not be submitted to thought, should not be analysed, divided or
      combined. It would kill it.

      Very Best Wishes
      Maurice McCarthy
      home email <maurice.mccarthy@...>