Heather

  • starbirdgarden
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      Dear Maurice,
      I just loved your post about Heather. A real nugget of spiritual gold =
      in the net!
      What a wonderful person, and how fortunate you were to know her. Obviously=
      there
      are times when there is no alternative to hospital, but for me that has to =
      be a very
      extreme situation. Simply because I have known them kill so many mildly un=
      well or
      injured people, one only last week who had a routine tube passed into the g=
      ut to test
      for something, was punctured, operated on to repair the hole, botched, oper=
      ated on
      again and died.
      I could tell several similar tales. But do not intend to! Some wonde=
      rful people
      work in the Health Service, but some of them are very unhappy. A GP I met =
      recently
      told me that going through Medical School had broken something in him. I th=
      ink the
      problem here is the man as machine concept. But I do not want to knock the=
      Health
      Service, but to say thank you for sharing Heather.
      When I gave the recipe you posted before to a friend, she said, But wh=
      ere can I get
      Mallow? OPEN YOUR EYES! It grows all over North London on any bit of earth=
      it can
      find. Only a few days ago I saw a wonderful, large clump of Self Heal grow=
      ing by a
      busy road.
      Due to the factory farming of the countryside, the elementals and their =
      plants have
      come to town. As has so much wild life. In our London garden we have foxes=
      , field
      mice, hedgehogs, rats (which are beautiful creatures who have been forced
      underground into sewers) squirrels of course, newts, bats, toads and hundre=
      ds of tiny
      bouncing frogs in the garden. The bird life is too numerous to list.
      A friend who farms his Norfolk land organically told me excitedly that=
      he had
      recently seen a frog……
      A wonderful Healer-Doctor, Dr Gordon Latto was retired and in his sev=
      enties
      when I knew him many years ago. Having once been a Professor of Medicine a=
      Edinburgh University he had long been a practising Naturopath, so successfu=
      l that
      people would not let him retire, and one could visit him as long as it was =
      before
      seven in the morning. His home was some way out of London, but there was al=
      ways a
      full waiting room….He slept in the garden, and a favourite prescription fro=
      m him was
      a turn on the trampoline. Arriving in the pre-dawn light one could see old =
      ladies
      energetically bouncing up and down.
      His cure rate was phenomenal, and his character a healing experience i=
      n itself,
      abrupt, matter of fact, entirely professional and radiating pure love and c=
      onfidence in
      God. Very often such healers have a difficult manner because they are so i=
      solated
      and at odds with usual practices, and yet cannot deny what they know works.=
      When
      presented with our baby daughter Grace, who was born with a rare liver cond=
      ition, he
      immediately referred her to hospital, although his poultices were effective=
      in keeping
      down swelling and discomfort, nothing could produce missing bile ducts.
      His support and love were wonderful.
      We are lucky enough to have a mature Oak at the end of the garden, whe=
      re I have
      an arbour seat, and the healing radiance from that tree, reverently address=
      ed each
      morning as Grandfather, is always restorative. At the front of the house I=
      have a
      Crabapple, and the magical Rowan and Hornbeam are planted along the pavemen=
      with other beautiful trees. The wandering weeds come and go among the gard=
      en
      flowers.
      When my son was at a Steiner School 25 miles from here, I used to driv=
      e a group
      of children along the motorway several days a week on a rota, often being s=
      tuck in
      traffic and being able to observe the immensely rich plant life along the v=
      erges. As
      the year progressed I could watch the incarnating of colour on earth throug=
      h the
      flowering plants, and found the whole experience lifted by the beauty and i=
      nterest of
      the world of herbage and trees.
      Sometimes I would see some plant that was unfamiliar, or that I wished=
      to live
      alongside, and then I would ask the elementals to bring one to my garden.=
      They
      invariably did this, but with that quirk which I have found to be character=
      istic, they
      would site them in some odd or inaccessible place, or in a crack in a neigh=
      bours
      barren concrete frontage.
      But I could at least watch and enjoy the life of the plant, and oddly =
      they seemed
      not to get cut down.
      I do not like including unsourced material, but I once read of a heale=
      r who was
      working with drawing healing energies our of plants through rhythmic gestu=
      re over
      and around the plant. I can't remember where I read it, or who it was. I =
      do not know
      how feasible this is, but it sounds like a dance with the elemental. Perha=
      ps in the
      future, when we are more based in the etheric we shall have such healing ex=
      changes.
      Certainly one may gather something of the inner nature of the plant by lovi=
      ng
      observation. And feel healing life flow from them. Steiner did say that he=
      alth was in
      the gift of the elementals.
      This story of Heather meant a lot to me. It is one of those rhyming, =
      resonating
      moments in life that echo others and amplify what was half understood of pa=
      st
      experiences. To me this is the poetic speaking of the Angels of Karma, th=
      at bringing
      this affirmation of what I am presently experiencing, from a friend timely =
      met on the
      internet, in a control room of an oil rig on the North Sea. How wonderful a=
      nd strange
      is life. Many thanks,

      Jan
    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Dear Jan,

        You will have realised that the tale was especially for yourself in your
        situation. Essentially living in South Wales for over 30 years now, I'm
        adopted by the national spirit. Unable to do anything for you, I could only
        say, "I know your pain." It was second nature to tell an intimate story that
        I've never broadcast before.

        Artistic feeling has never been my strong point and the Ancient Mariner was
        one of the very few works I enjoyed in school. So your offerings to the list
        are very well received in this quarter. Now and again a work of art strikes
        me most forcefully and this is occurring more frequently as I become
        acquainted with anthroposophic ideas.

        Last October I paid my first visit to Portmeirion where the Prisoner was
        filmed. Seen the series, knew the sights, expected nothing. My wife, second
        wife, dearly wanted to go, though she didn't say so. It was the most
        beautiful, clear, sunny day. It could have been August. Thus I was totally
        unprepared for the way Ellis's architecture completely over-awed me.

        "Cherish the past, adorn the present, construct for the future."
        The personal motto of William Clough Ellis.

        I gawped open-mouthed for 20 minutes or half an hour. Switching attention to
        myself it felt as if I were just under a great waterfall gently pouring,
        streaming nourishment into the depths of my soul. Never have I experienced
        anything like it and my mind returns to it again. Somehow I just knew it
        could not be submitted to thought, should not be analysed, divided or
        combined. It would kill it.

        Very Best Wishes
        Maurice McCarthy
        home email <maurice.mccarthy@...>